Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hard2Listen2

Quote from: Truth hurts on June 10, 2022, 02:44:10 PM
I see on social media that Bryansford are having an EGM tommorrow. Does anyone know what it is about?

Says clearly that the meeting is to discuss future development of our facilities.

Bit of fake news from East Down County Board's number 1 fan.

⚽️👜

Johnnysboys

Massive result tonight for RGU. That's 3 of the top "big 4" they have beaten now. Loughinisland with a massive away win and Mayobridge full value for their win over Bryansford- even though they left it late. Carryduff beating rostrevor was as expected. I see Rostrevor have a new underage development coach that started his duties during the week - is this the way clubs are going to have to go now to get the best out of their youth? CPN have something similar set up but only for an initial 6 month period when it will be reviewed.

upandwin

This has been the best season in Div1&2 in a long time. It's amazing how tight it is in both divisions at this stage. Big wins for RGU and Loughinisland tonight. Two wins in a row can massively change the complexion of anyone's season. Also see Longstone hammered An Riocht in the big derby of the weekend. How many teams go down from D2 this year anyone know? As things stand, Rostrevor and the town are gone and looks like it'll be Warrenpoint and Ballyholland atm but Bryansford might get sucked in to that I think with 2 of them, CPN and Harps down. Massive win for mayobridge who I'm surprised at because I haven't been impressed with them any time I've seen them. RGU have racked up three brilliant results in a row and should be fine now. Hard to call. Burren seem to be stale under McCorry already, the patrons in St Mary's giving off about the negative football already. Apart from hammering CPN seconds, they haven't set the world alight.

rosskarr

Johnnysboys

Absolutely great performance from our lads today. Fully deserving off their victory and it actually could have been more. Clonduff are starting to miss some players and with Barry OHagan leaving soon they could struggle. We have just timed our run too late for top four in league but are in good form for the bottom 8...

Mikhailov

Lads, how does your league work this year. I see top 4 & bottom 8 mentioned but how is it worked out and then what happens...?

Mourne Red

Quote from: Mikhailov on June 12, 2022, 09:56:03 PM
Lads, how does your league work this year. I see top 4 & bottom 8 mentioned but how is it worked out and then what happens...?

Top teams play for the league title the bottom play to avoid relegation (bottom 4 in Div 1 relegated). Worked out same as SPL play points carry over into league split. So technically 5th could end up with more points than 4th but still finish 5th in the league.

We didn't have relegation last year so aim is to get our leagues structured back to the way they were pre-covid

Mikhailov

Quote from: Mourne Red on June 12, 2022, 09:59:59 PM

Top teams play for the league title the bottom play to avoid relegation (bottom 4 in Div 1 relegated). Worked out same as SPL play points carry over into league split. So technically 5th could end up with more points than 4th but still finish 5th in the league.

We didn't have relegation last year so aim is to get our leagues structured back to the way they were pre-covid

In the top 4 is it a straight semi final then final so maximum 2 more games or what?
How does bottom 8 work? Is it 7 more league games or a straight play off game to avoid relegation with 4 losers getting relegated?

manwithnoplan

Quote from: Mikhailov on June 12, 2022, 10:55:46 PM

In the top 4 is it a straight semi final then final so maximum 2 more games or what?
How does bottom 8 work? Is it 7 more league games or a straight play off game to avoid relegation with 4 losers getting relegated?

"ACL Division 1 shall consist of twelve teams. FIRST STAGE: One set of rounds(Rounds 1-11).
SECOND STAGE (Division 1A):The teams that are placed in the top four positions after Round 11 will play each other on a home and away basis (Rounds 12-17).
The teams that finish in first and second places will qualify for the ACL Division 1 final. SECOND STAGE (Division 1B):The teams that are placed in positions 5-12 after Round 11 will play each other (Rounds 12-18). The teams that finish in 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th places will be relegated to Division 2.

ACL Division 2 shall consist of ten teams with two sets of rounds (Round 1-18) on home and away basis.
The team that finishes in first place will be promoted to ACL Division 1 and will be awarded the ACL Division 2 title.
The team that finishes in 2nd place will be promoted to ACL Division 1.
The teams that finish in 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th places will be relegated to ACL Division 3.

ACL Division 3 shall consist of twelve teams. FIRST STAGE: One set of rounds (Rounds 1-11).
SECOND STAGE (Division 3A): The teams that are placed in the top four positions after Round 11 will play each other on a home and away basis (Rounds 12-17).
The teams that finish in first and second places will qualify for the ACL Division 3 final. SECOND STAGE (Division 3B): The teams that are placed in positions 5-12 after Round 11 will play each other (Rounds 12-18). The teams that finish in 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th places will be relegated to Division 4.

ACL Division 4 shall consist of nine teams.
FIRST STAGE: Two groups (One group of 5 teams and one group of 4 teams)based on final positions from the 2021 ACL Division 4. Teams in each group will play each other on a home and away basis. (The teams in first position in each group after this stage will receive a bye to the quarter-finals of the 2022 Junior Football Championship). SECOND STAGE: One set of rounds for nine teams (Rounds 1-8). Teams will carry forward their accumulated points from the First Stage.
The team that finishes in first place will be awarded the ACL Division 4 title and will be promoted to ACL Division3."

Truth hurts

Kilcoo, Burren, and Mayobridge are confirmed in the top 4. It looks like if RGU win on Friday v Loughinisland that they will join them. Clonduff has fallen back badly as of late and their form is concerning if they are in a relegation battle. Rostrevor and Castlewellan are doomed so it will be a fight between 6 teams with 2 going down. Ballyholland started well in the league but has fallen badly and they could be heading for division two if they don't improve quickly. CPN are starting to get their players back and I expect them and Carryduff to be ok. But the way the season is going I would not bet on anything.
Annaclone are in trouble in 2, they might be better with a year in division 3. A massive win for Saval on Friday which puts Glenn out of the promotion battle.

Truth hurts

It's great to see RGU going well in the league and as I said before when the Townies go well, Down go well.  When we won our 5 all Irelands a Town team won the SFC

60- Mitchells
61-Shamrocks
68-Mitchells
91-RGU
94-The Town

The Aristocratic clubs in Down will always churn out players but we need more from the Towns. It's good to see the Bosco topping the minor league too.

Mikhailov

Quote from: manwithnoplan on June 13, 2022, 08:07:56 AM
Quote from: Mikhailov on June 12, 2022, 10:55:46 PM

"ACL Division 1 shall consist of twelve teams. FIRST STAGE: One set of rounds(Rounds 1-11).
SECOND STAGE (Division 1A):The teams that are placed in the top four positions after Round 11 will play each other on a home and away basis (Rounds 12-17).
The teams that finish in first and second places will qualify for the ACL Division 1 final. SECOND STAGE (Division 1B):The teams that are placed in positions 5-12 after Round 11 will play each other (Rounds 12-18). The teams that finish in 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th places will be relegated to Division 2.

ACL Division 2 shall consist of ten teams with two sets of rounds (Round 1-18) on home and away basis.
The team that finishes in first place will be promoted to ACL Division 1 and will be awarded the ACL Division 2 title.
The team that finishes in 2nd place will be promoted to ACL Division 1.
The teams that finish in 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th places will be relegated to ACL Division 3.

ACL Division 3 shall consist of twelve teams. FIRST STAGE: One set of rounds (Rounds 1-11).
SECOND STAGE (Division 3A): The teams that are placed in the top four positions after Round 11 will play each other on a home and away basis (Rounds 12-17).
The teams that finish in first and second places will qualify for the ACL Division 3 final. SECOND STAGE (Division 3B): The teams that are placed in positions 5-12 after Round 11 will play each other (Rounds 12-18). The teams that finish in 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th places will be relegated to Division 4.

ACL Division 4 shall consist of nine teams.
FIRST STAGE: Two groups (One group of 5 teams and one group of 4 teams)based on final positions from the 2021 ACL Division 4. Teams in each group will play each other on a home and away basis. (The teams in first position in each group after this stage will receive a bye to the quarter-finals of the 2022 Junior Football Championship). SECOND STAGE: One set of rounds for nine teams (Rounds 1-8). Teams will carry forward their accumulated points from the First Stage.
The team that finishes in first place will be awarded the ACL Division 4 title and will be promoted to ACL Division3."

That sounds like a lot of possible clashes between 2 clubs. For an example (only a possibility), Kilcoo and Burren have already played in phase 1. Then in phase 2 they play each other H&A so that is 3 games, plus possible league final will be 4. Then no doubt as in previous years they meet in championship front door route and again in the KO latter stages. That means they possibly play each other 5 or 6 times in a season - crazy stuff.

Truth hurts

Burren plays Mayobridge in the first round of the SFC so they will play each other at least 3 times before the championship.  The top 4 will not be entertaining and teams will use this to get young lads experience of division 1

TakeTheMark

I agree, the top 4 won't be entertaining.
The rest of the league will be though. Let's say Loughinisland get a win over RGU, then they jump into 4th ahead of the last round of fixtures. You've then got 4th - 9th who are all within two points. So you could be challenging for top four but a loss and suddenly you are in a relegation battle.

Truth hurts

I am just after hearing that the oligarchs in Burren are unhappy with Burren's style of football this year.