Who would have thought - Ian Paisley - Sri Lanka & The Maldives

Started by Owen Brannigan, September 07, 2017, 10:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

I think he's already played the post conflict reconciliation card.

What are the SDLP at with their joint anti brexit candidate?
That won't fly in North Antrim and uber bigot Jim Allister is entirely right that the bi-election campaign needs to be about anti sleeze as he put it.

Jeepers Creepers

Anti brexit candidate in a constituency where a 'Brexiteer' holds a 20k majority

Insane Bolt

The only chance of him being ousted is if the DUP put up Arlene against him.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on July 26, 2018, 09:57:04 PM
Anti brexit candidate in a constituency where a 'Brexiteer' holds a 20k majority
thats exactly what will happen. A referendum

drillsergeant

Westminster Election 2017:
Ian Paisley (DUP) 28,521 (58.9%, +15.7%)
Cara McShane (SF) 7,878 (16.3%, +4.0%)
Jackson Minford (UUP) 3,482 (7.2%, -4.9%)
Timothy Gaston (TUV) 3,282 (6.8%, -8.9%)
Patricia O'Lynn (Alliance) 2,723 (5.6%, ±0)
Declan O'Loan (SDLP) 2,574 (5.3%, -1.7%)

Brexit Referendum 2016
Votes to REMAIN: 18,782 (37.8%)
Votes to LEAVE: 30,938 (62.2%).
Highest LEAVE vote in Northern Ireland.

These results clearly prove that it is completely pointless to run a anti-Brexit joint candidate if it comes to by-election.

Dougal Maguire

Absolutely correct and it's just what Ogie would love as it would take attention away from the main issue.
Careful now

gallsman

Not sure this is the best place for this, but anyway...

Emma Pengelly has written to people in East Belfast looking for support in signing a petition to complain about the naming of a bus stop on the Albertbridge Road "Short Strand".

The stop is literally in the Short Strand. She's not the MP for the area. Other than hating taigs, what other possible explanation can there be for such nonsense?!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: gallsman on July 27, 2018, 05:48:43 AM

Emma Pengelly has written to people in East Belfast looking for support in signing a petition to complain about the naming of a bus stop on the Albertbridge Road "Short Strand".

The stop is literally in the Short Strand. She's not the MP for the area. Other than hating taigs, what other possible explanation can there be for such nonsense?!
Read that last night. There are very few issues they won't turn into sectarianism. Some posted a photo of the bus stop last night and it is a few metres away from a big sign saying 'Short Strand.'

TabClear

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 27, 2018, 08:19:13 AM
Quote from: gallsman on July 27, 2018, 05:48:43 AM

Read that last night. There are very few issues they won't turn into sectarianism. Some posted a photo of the bus stop last night and it is a few metres away from a big sign saying 'Short Strand.'

Ian Og has a bit of free time on his hands, I'm sure he would be happy to get behind her on this.....

Applesisapples

The SDLP can't help it they daily lose credibility, calling SF out over abstentionism when voters knew exactly what they were getting and understand that SF will not take an oath to the Queen, fingers crossed or not. Then they decry SF for no Stormont without stipulating who they would shaft to do the deal, Irish Language Activists or LGBT Activists. And now looking a single candidate to stand against Paisley which would turn the whole thing into a farce, no way would the DUP take on Ian Og in those circumstances. I don't agree with Allister on anything, but I do in this case it needs to be a Unionist anti slease candidate.

johnnycool

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 27, 2018, 09:14:33 AM
The SDLP can't help it they daily lose credibility, calling SF out over abstentionism when voters knew exactly what they were getting and understand that SF will not take an oath to the Queen, fingers crossed or not. Then they decry SF for no Stormont without stipulating who they would shaft to do the deal, Irish Language Activists or LGBT Activists. And now looking a single candidate to stand against Paisley which would turn the whole thing into a farce, no way would the DUP take on Ian Og in those circumstances. I don't agree with Allister on anything, but I do in this case it needs to be a Unionist anti slease candidate.

Agreed, Are there any political strategists in the SDLP at all?

GJL

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 27, 2018, 09:14:33 AM

There lays the problem.

armaghniac

What is needed is a sort of Lady Hermon type candidate. Sadly, they are not likely to find one.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Franko

Quote from: armaghniac on July 27, 2018, 09:57:30 AM
What is needed is a sort of Lady Hermon type candidate. Sadly, they are not likely to find one.

I'm not sure.  North Antrim is a very different place to North Down.  I don't think Lady Hermon would cut much ice with your average Dervock knuckle dragger.

quit yo jibbajabba

Dervock always gets it hi;

Mosside gets off v lightly in comparison  ;D