Hurling Championship 2017

Started by seafoid, May 19, 2017, 10:02:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Between 1967 and 2007 a total of 1 Cork hurler was sent off in the championship.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 16, 2017, 01:27:13 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on August 16, 2017, 12:34:42 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 16, 2017, 10:51:51 AM
Purley tongue in cheek, i was the worst manager for giving out during a game, he was just caught a couple of times out by the camera with some, not fit for tv language.

Hes done a fantasic job to turn around Cork... I said it on the league thread that i liked the way Cork were playing during the league and that some of the players looked in fine form, it was the last 10 minutes of their league games that let them down

dry surface hurlers with pace will always come good for the Championship and bar the sending off they would have (in my view) got to the final.. Plenty to work on but they wont be taken lightly next year

TBH I thought Waterford had gotten to grips with Nash's puckouts and had the better of most of the Cork forwards barring Horgan and the odd Lehane cameo and were about to kick on as the sending off occurred. Granted they were two points down when Cahalane got the line but I just felt that bit more experience would have seen Waterford home.
The sending off obviously made that a formality as Cork inexplicably went 5 on 5 in their own defence and weren't winning any of the physical battles up the other end,

Whats Galway's best team selection for the final, based on Waterfords gameplan?

Galway are fairly settled at this stage. I'd say the only debate will be whether to start Jason Flynn or Niall Burke. Even though he's a real confidence player I'd be tempted to start Flynn as he's often good for a goal or two. Nearly got one after he came on against Tipp. Plus Niall Burke always seems to play better off the bench.

Glynn to start on the bench too but I think he'll have a big part to play in the final. I was impressed with him after he came on against Tipp. Looks in much better shape than he was for the league final.

redsetanta

Austin Gleson won't win hurler of the year unlesshe scores 2-08 in the final on half a leg and even then not guaranteed. Barron is probably the front runner although there will be a few Galway players in with a shout.

Syferus, you said not fair on Galway that Gleeson is available however Galway were also sweating over Tuohy (although his offense wasn't as blatant)

For me the most iportant players to Waterford are Moran and Brick as their guile, experience and workrate kept Waterford in it for the first 35 minutes. They are the real leaders in that Waterord team and without them Waterford wouldn't be in the AI never mind winning it. I thought they were both excellent in their roles last week. McGrath must have done his damnedest to make sure they stayed involved. 

Final is 50/50 for me and the media will really play up the Canning v Gleeson duel.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: seafoid on August 16, 2017, 07:58:45 PM
Between 1967 and 2007 a total of 1 Cork hurler was sent off in the championship.
how many since??

Plain of the Herbs

Was that one sending off in a qualifier against Galway in 2002 (I forget who the player was)?  Dónalogue against Galway in 2008, Pa Cronin against Offaly in 2011 were just two who were sent off since 2008.
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on August 17, 2017, 05:05:30 PM
how many since??

imtommygunn

Was the rock ever sent off? I mind some big hits but nothing dirty.

Minder

Quote from: Plain of the Herbs on August 17, 2017, 06:33:31 PM
Was that one sending off in a qualifier against Galway in 2002 (I forget who the player was)?  Dónalogue against Galway in 2008, Pa Cronin against Offaly in 2011 were just two who were sent off since 2008.
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on August 17, 2017, 05:05:30 PM
how many since??

Donal Og?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

manfromdelmonte

Patrick Horgan was sent off in the munster championship a few years back

Owenmoresider

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on August 17, 2017, 10:14:38 PM
2013 Munster final in Limerick, harshly so if i recall right.

johnneycool

Quote from: Owenmoresider on August 17, 2017, 10:24:40 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on August 17, 2017, 10:14:38 PM
2013 Munster final in Limerick, harshly so if i recall right.

Rescinded in the smoked filled committee rooms a week or so later.

AZOffaly

Was that the strike on the helmet? If it was, it was a bit harsh, but he was lucky to get it overturned too.

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 18, 2017, 09:59:32 AM
Was that the strike on the helmet? If it was, it was a bit harsh, but he was lucky to get it overturned too.

I think it was. Clumsy but reckless.

Milltown Row2

How's the ticket allocation going lads? Feelers are out so hoping to get something by Monday
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 18, 2017, 03:03:11 PM
How's the ticket allocation going lads? Feelers are out so hoping to get something by Monday

Do the referees in Antrim not get the option to buy one from Antrim CB?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnneycool on August 18, 2017, 03:53:55 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 18, 2017, 03:03:11 PM

Do the referees in Antrim not get the option to buy one from Antrim CB?

Too many, so put in for a draw which is fair enough and the club does a draw also, managed to get both last time, tickets do become available, but its the usual waiting game!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea