Hurling Championship 2017

Started by seafoid, May 19, 2017, 10:02:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

I think seafoid has a problem with teams that regularly beat Galway when it matters.... possibly he feels Cork would have beaten them on the day... Waterford will bore us, but the more seafoid goes on here I'll be cheering Waterford on! When Galway was always my fav team!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 13, 2017, 09:54:47 PM
I think seafoid has a problem with teams that regularly beat Galway when it matters.... possibly he feels Cork would have beaten them on the day... Waterford will bore us, but the more seafoid goes on here I'll be cheering Waterford on! When Galway was always my fav team!
Galway are anti Brexit, MR
Lookit

I think we would beat either of them TBH, all other things being equal.
Galway seem to be favs 2/5 vs 7/4
I had a sense of a repeat of 08 watching the reaction of the Waterford fans. It's not about romance.
They will probably play a Sweeper.
Galway played Offaly who had 2 sweepers.
So they just shot points from 50 and 60 yards out

Either team winning will be good for the sport
the last time the old firm were missing was 98 I think
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on August 13, 2017, 09:57:09 PM
Waterford don't bore me at all! It's not like the scores are 0-6 to 0-5.

Sweeper system just isn't for me as I think Waterford can hurl without it... I would have used it when manager when up against teams that would have destroyed us, but it wasn't attractive
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 13, 2017, 10:11:13 PM

Sweeper system just isn't for me as I think Waterford can hurl without it... I would have used it when manager when up against teams that would have destroyed us, but it wasn't attractive

Agreed. I think they can be much better without it.

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 13, 2017, 10:12:45 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 13, 2017, 10:11:13 PM

Agreed. I think they can be much better without it.
It will be a big decision for them
As Derek McGrath said at least up for the match will be different
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on August 13, 2017, 10:23:27 PM
How big a decision is it? They're hardly expected to fcuk the season's game plan in the bin and try something new for the final!

If I remember they did bin it one time before and where brilliant

imtommygunn

Yeah but they took a tanking with it that time so had to change it. Different this time.

Milltown Row2

Either way I wanted a new final but an entertaining one... hotel and train booked! Just need tickets!

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 13, 2017, 10:40:51 PM
Either way I wanted a new final but an entertaining one... hotel and train booked! Just need tickets!
there'll be plenty in Kilkenny and Tipp this year

Milltown Row2

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on August 13, 2017, 11:02:57 PM

And Cork I'd imagine

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 13, 2017, 11:19:57 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on August 13, 2017, 11:02:57 PM

And Cork I'd imagine
they're in the minor

johnneycool

Was down at the game and you get a different perspective of the sweeper and even how Waterford forwards operate sitting high in the stand.
From early on in the first half you could see what Waterford were trying to do. They were sucking every forward out the field barring one, but when they got possession it seemed that they'd targeted young Coleman and forced him down deep into his own defence as much as possible, with Kevin Moran initially then Brick Walsh who are both serious operators in the air and pumped the ball in on top of him and when they did manage to avoid the Cork sweeper it was working. Moran got a few runs at the Cork defence, and Walsh was winning possession and popping off the passes to others.
Cork were reasonably successful at picking their men out but Waterford has bottled Lehane and Harnedy up well especially Lehane in the first half as I can't remember him on the ball much. Horgan was the man keeping Cork ticking even though he did miss some easy frees. But in general Cork were losing all the areas of physical contact, Waterford had shutdown a lot of the Cork puck out options meaning Nash was going long and trying to hit space with the ball as Waterford were so dominant in the ruck ball and even before Cahalane got the line I honestly thought that Waterford would shade it in the end. The sending off just made the scoreline much wider. If Cork are to progress the next step they need a few more ball winning forwards and indeed defenders more dominant in the air and more robust in the tackle. They have lightening speed in abundance, delightful wristy hurlers but the balance isn't right yet to win an AI. For every JBM you need a Timmy Crowley.

Who'd you ever manage that Austin Gleeson fella? Absolutely brilliant one minute and then you see what's he's done with your mans helmet the next and he should rightly get a one game ban like DeBurca. How frustrating that must be for McGrath. Club hurling in Waterford can cut up a bit rough from all accounts, but sweet jesus, you're in an AI semi-final with more camera's on you than enough, 70K people watching it, two of your team mates have already received red cards and missed games for the same thing FFS. Words fail me.
Conor Gleesons was also a mind fart. The game was as good as won and he goes and swipes out at Horgan. Ref didn't see it and went on the word of the linesman who then sent the wrong Corkman off....

As for the final, Austin Gleeson will be a loss, there's no doubt and Darragh Fives who was outstanding yesterday will maybe push up the field a bit to fill Conor Gleesons shoes with DeBurca doing his customary role. TBH with Fives outstanding display yesterday and he is better in the air than DeBurca I'd be incline to keep him sweeping with DeBurca pushing up a bit as Galway will go route 1 to avoid the sweeper and aerial prowess in the Waterford fullback line will be required in abundance.
Galway are rightly favourites, but Waterford won't let them have it their own way, but we'll see a new winner with it being 60 odd years since Waterford last won and 30 odd years since Galway won. It's all good IMO.

AZOffaly

Austin Gleeson produced about 5 minutes of sublime hurling yesterday, and was the main reason Waterford kicked on and won, but for the other 65 minutes he was fairly anonymous and a frustrated figure I felt. When he gets frustrated he has a relatively short fuse.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 14, 2017, 10:04:59 AM
Austin Gleeson produced about 5 minutes of sublime hurling yesterday, and was the main reason Waterford kicked on and won, but for the other 65 minutes he was fairly anonymous and a frustrated figure I felt. When he gets frustrated he has a relatively short fuse.

Couldn't agree more on Gleeson
Was at the match and he was a passenger to cork lost there full back and off he went
Prior to that he was brutal he even dropped his hurl on one occasion and fluffed an easy hand pass which led to a cork score
The goal looked great but if brick wasn't standing there Nash would have come out to meet him
I have no dislike for him but can't understand why he got hurler of the year when he got cleaned out in a Munster final last year

Give me a Jamie Barron any day
As my dad use to say
"If you get a reputation for getting up early then you can sleep in to lunch time unnoticed "
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

theskull1

Yes......id be less worried about losing someone like Austin Gleeson than Jamie Barron or Kevin Moran. The media would disagree
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera