Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

Good win by Ballinrobe at the weekend in the U21.
Ballinrobe 2-8  Aughamore 1-3

Anyone at it?

the Deel Rover

good luck to the knockmore girls who are playing in the All Ireland Junior final on saturday week fair play to them hope they do it

P.s never thought i'd be writing good luck and knockmore in the same sentence i must be going soft in old age  ;) :D
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Mayo4Sam

Congrats to Carnacon, thought they were out of it when the second goal went in, some come back
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

AbbeySider

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on November 23, 2008, 07:35:20 PM
Congrats to Carnacon, thought they were out of it when the second goal went in, some come back

Serious comeback, delighted  ;D
Congrats to them!

They took their goals very well. One lobed the keeper after a bad kickout. The other goal was well taken too.
Were they 9 points down at half time? The wind was a big factor I suppose.

AbbeySider

Speaking of comebacks, Westport robbed Ballinrobe in the U21 at the weekend.
Ballinrobe were 1-8 to 3 points up at half time. A gale force northern wind blowing directly from one goal to the other.
Against the wind in the second half, Balllinrobe lost 1-12 to 2-11.
Donal Vaughan and Sean Burke were brilliant for Ballinrobe, look out for them in Mayo U21 and senior ranks next year.

Farrandeelin

I heard a bit of Austin Garvin's report on the radio yesterday about that game AbbeySider. Fair dues to Carnacon, they are some team alright. Also, thanks Deel Rover for the well wishes for the ladies, I'll try to keep it in mind if your crowd are playing in a final again. I think it's shocking that there's no venue fixed for it yet though. So who is in the U-21 final now anyway? Westport and who else?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 24, 2008, 04:53:14 PM
I heard a bit of Austin Garvin's report on the radio yesterday about that game AbbeySider. Fair dues to Carnacon, they are some team alright. Also, thanks Deel Rover for the well wishes for the ladies, I'll try to keep it in mind if your crowd are playing in a final again. I think it's shocking that there's no venue fixed for it yet though. So who is in the U-21 final now anyway? Westport and who else?

the official fixture as I got it yesterday in an email:

ULSTER BANK U-21 A FINAL
SUNDAY NOVEMBER 30TH AT 1.00 P.M,
EXTRA TIME IF REQUIRED
BALLINTUBBER  (never heard of them  ;)  :D )  V   Westport
VENUE: MAYO ABBEY
REF. V NEARY
LINE K CONNOLLY AND M VAHEY

the Deel Rover

I'm sure you will farrandeelin  ;) :D  i was at the semi final and ye have some great footballers , the little corner forward is a great bit of stuff can't think of her name is it corcoran? Any way its a mighty achievement to get to the final and hopefully there will be bonfires in the parish of the backs on Saturday, besides that farrandeelin how are you enjoying the teaching ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

StoneWall

Quote from: AbbeySider on November 25, 2008, 09:21:49 AM

the official fixture as I got it yesterday in an email:

ULSTER BANK U-21 A FINAL
SUNDAY NOVEMBER 30TH AT 1.00 P.M,
EXTRA TIME IF REQUIRED
BALLINTUBBER V Westport
VENUE: MAYO ABBEY
REF. V NEARY
LINE K CONNOLLY AND M VAHEY

Mayo Abbey?! Very unusual choice of venue for 2 West Mayo teams.

Anyway Ballintubber look the form team in this grade so I expect them to take the title. Didn't they win a county minor a few years back, is this the same team?

AbbeySider

Quote from: StoneWall on November 25, 2008, 12:25:36 PM
Mayo Abbey?! Very unusual choice of venue for 2 West Mayo teams.

Anyway Ballintubber look the form team in this grade so I expect them to take the title. Didn't they win a county minor a few years back, is this the same team?

Yeah I was at a minor game in Mayo Abbey lately, I think it was the County Minor Semi Final between Ballintubber and Aughamore in October.
The pitch held up very well. Half expected this match to be Mayo Abbey, perhaps also Islandeady but im not sure if the pitch is up to it as its a bit of a bowl.

It was last years U21 team that won the minor double in 2004. Ballintubber won the County Minor A Championship and the Minor Division 1 League that year.

This current team playing on Sunday were beaten by Westport the West Mayo Minor A Football Championship Semi-Final in 2005.
A bit of history there.

RedandGreenSniper

I'm weighin up whether to go to Mayo Abbey tomorrow or not. I'll be dying from drink  :-\ but I reckon it could be a cracking game. Could go any way. Westport are extremely resillient with a serious full-forward line while Ballintubber have some serious talent. Jason Gibbons, Ruaidhri O'Connor, Michael Nestor and possibly Dean Gavin will play county under 21 next year. I think the winning and losing will depend on P O'Connor. If he plays like he can I think he could be the difference. There could be serious flaking too  :o
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on November 29, 2008, 07:47:34 PM
I'm weighin up whether to go to Mayo Abbey tomorrow or not. I'll be dying from drink  :-\ but I reckon it could be a cracking game. Could go any way. Westport are extremely resillient with a serious full-forward line while Ballintubber have some serious talent. Jason Gibbons, Ruaidhri O'Connor, Michael Nestor and possibly Dean Gavin will play county under 21 next year. I think the winning and losing will depend on P O'Connor. If he plays like he can I think he could be the difference. There could be serious flaking too  :o

Did you make the game RedandGreenSniper ?

;D  ;D
Poor game really. We never got out of third gear but still had enough to take Westport.
It finished 1-8 to 4 points.  ;D

Some celebrations....

StoneWall

Listened to the U-21 final on Mid West. Going on the commentary Ballintubber were always in control. Billy Fitz gave man of the match to the Ballintubber full back Michael Nestor even though he was mentioned very little in the commentary.

In the 2nd half Mike Finnerity keep referring to a song one of the Ballintubber lads wrote?!

Abeysider was there a decent crowd at it?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: the Deel Rover on November 25, 2008, 11:44:06 AM

I'm sure you will farrandeelin  ;) :D  i was at the semi final and ye have some great footballers , the little corner forward is a great bit of stuff can't think of her name is it corcoran? Any way its a mighty achievement to get to the final and hopefully there will be bonfires in the parish of the backs on Saturday, besides that farrandeelin how are you enjoying the teaching ?

Well there were no bonfires anyway. :-[ :-\ Didn't bother travelling to Tuam, in fact I didn't see the ladies all year!! Was too busy the semi-final day and it would have been ideal to go that day. Teaching is going grand, only thing that I can find to complain about is that I can't let my frustrations out here!!! ;)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: AbbeySider on December 01, 2008, 01:41:52 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on November 29, 2008, 07:47:34 PM

Did you make the game RedandGreenSniper ?

;D  ;D
Poor game really. We never got out of third gear but still had enough to take Westport.
It finished 1-8 to 4 points.  ;D

Some celebrations....

Gave it a miss. Woke up and twas cold outside and United City on the tele was the easier option! It would appear the real final was a few weeks ago against Breaffy!
I hear Myles Kelly's 'The Boys from the Tubber' got a few airings Sunday night along with a Brian Boru speech!!
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year