Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

In fairness its a great draw for us, and a chance for some additional bragging rights over the ballina lads, but having said that would expect either team to go down against castlebar or charlestown, fairly open championship. Wouldn't back against ballintubber, ballagh aren't the team they were last year
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

AbbeySider

Results from last nights round of U-21 games...

Ballintubber    0-9   1-5   Claremorris
Aghamore    2-4   1-11   Burrishoole
Breaffy    0-8   0-7   Ballina Stephenites
Crossmolina   -   -   Charlestown  (Conceded by Charlestown)

Owenmoresider

How does the U21 fare out there, being played midweek at this time of the year? We have ours in late October and November and it's been a disaster in recent years, given that most clubs will have their senior programme wrapped up next weekend, and then the old soccer chestnut rears its head also. Could do with a change, could it be that many of the U21's aren't generally on the senior teams, and that allows it to run off better?

stephenite

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 10, 2008, 11:26:26 PM
and a chance for some additional bragging rights over the ballina lads

You should get them to show you their medals while you're at it ;)

AbbeySider

Quote from: Owenmoresider on August 12, 2008, 09:45:23 PM
How does the U21 fare out there, being played midweek at this time of the year? We have ours in late October and November and it's been a disaster in recent years, given that most clubs will have their senior programme wrapped up next weekend, and then the old soccer chestnut rears its head also.

It was the last round of U21 games that will be played mid week. Usually the throw in was at 8pm and in the later weeks the throw in was 745/730pm. The quarter finals etc will have to be played at the weekends as they will probably be in September after the Senior Championship quarter finals.

Quote from: Owenmoresider on August 12, 2008, 09:45:23 PM
...could it be that many of the U21's aren't generally on the senior teams, and that allows it to run off better?

Most senior teams have several U21 players. I think we have seven and thats not uncommon.
If Mayo got further in the All-Ireland series everything would have been put back but club fixtures can be played out now without any hassle.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: stephenite on August 13, 2008, 03:56:58 AM

Ya they'll be a lot of good to them this year

stephenite

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 13, 2008, 09:32:36 PM
Quote from: stephenite on August 13, 2008, 03:56:58 AM

Ya they'll be a lot of good to them this year

;D

AbbeySider

Welcome Inn Senior Football League

Division 1A:
Burrishoole 2-6, Charlestown 1-9
Westport 0-10, Ballaghadereen 1-9
Belmullet 1-6, Crossmolina Deel Rovers 2-17
Ballinrobe 1-7, Knockmore 2-7

Division 1B:
Kilmeena 0-9, Ballintubber 3-5
Tourmakeady 0-4, Claremorris 4-12
Ballina Stephenites 2-10, Louisburgh 1-5
Kiltane 1-13, Castlebar Mitchels 0-10

Very bad conditions over the weekend so I guess you shouldnt read much into any results.
Although Kiltane beating Mitchels is an eyebrow raiser. Tourmak took a hammering from Claremorris but I was told they were missing a good few.

Farrandeelin

Knockmore and Ballinrobe agreed that the result from the Championship game played a few weeks ago would 'do the job' for Saturday evening's game. Hard to blame them with the weather that was in it!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 18, 2008, 05:22:32 PM
Knockmore and Ballinrobe agreed that the result from the Championship game played a few weeks ago would 'do the job' for Saturday evening's game. Hard to blame them with the weather that was in it!

You're kidding right? Ah that's poor form from Ballinrobe so. Especially if it comes to having any impact on promotion or relegation.
Prob suited Knockmore in terms of not showing their hand/picking up injuries before the Claremorris game
Kiltane beating Mitchels - where did that come from?! I can only presume Mitchels played a weak team, otherwise they're in a world of bother
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on August 18, 2008, 11:10:24 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 18, 2008, 05:22:32 PM

You're kidding right? Ah that's poor form from Ballinrobe so. Especially if it comes to having any impact on promotion or relegation.
Prob suited Knockmore in terms of not showing their hand/picking up injuries before the Claremorris game
Kiltane beating Mitchels - where did that come from?! I can only presume Mitchels played a weak team, otherwise they're in a world of bother

You would think that Knockmore/Castlebar would want as many games as possible before the championship!? Its match practice you need before big games. Its a shame if Ballinrobe didnt contest the fixture. I dont think it effects Ballinrobes league standing.
http://www.sportsmanager.ie/t3.php?userid=21&leaguetable=1&report=1&reporttype=mixresults&compid=5673&countyid=21&club_id=&sportid=1

Ballinrobe are mid-table and Knockmore are second from the top, one point behind Breaffy with 2 games to play...

Davitt Man

County Board yet again mess things up, the county pitch a shambles, read this from the western people

GAA: Boys in blue battle through the driving rain
By: Michael Gallagher in McHale Park, Castlebar

Mayo U-16B Football Championship - Semi-Final
Kiltimagh 2-9 Islandeady 1-5

NO pitch markings, no umpires, no linesmen, no match programme and a game that began 34 minutes late - what a pathetic way to treat young footballers. Thankfully the fine young footballers of Kiltimagh and Islandeady didn't let the situation unduly affect them and went on to produce a well-contested semi-final, but the organisation of the encounter left an awful lot to be desired.

This got me thinking about the senior quarter finals, the 4 games are down for mchale park which now has no stand, would they not be better off playing these games in suitable neutral venues where the atmosphere would be alot better.

Knockmore v Claremorris could be played in kiltimagh
Ballagh v Ballintubber could be played in kiltimagh as well
Breaffy v Cross could be foxford or knockmore
C\Town v Castlebar could be in swinford

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Davitt Man on August 20, 2008, 02:28:58 PM
County Board yet again mess things up, the county pitch a shambles, read this from the western people

GAA: Boys in blue battle through the driving rain
By: Michael Gallagher in McHale Park, Castlebar

Mayo U-16B Football Championship - Semi-Final
Kiltimagh 2-9 Islandeady 1-5

NO pitch markings, no umpires, no linesmen, no match programme and a game that began 34 minutes late - what a pathetic way to treat young footballers. Thankfully the fine young footballers of Kiltimagh and Islandeady didn’t let the situation unduly affect them and went on to produce a well-contested semi-final, but the organisation of the encounter left an awful lot to be desired.

This got me thinking about the senior quarter finals, the 4 games are down for mchale park which now has no stand, would they not be better off playing these games in suitable neutral venues where the atmosphere would be alot better.

Knockmore v Claremorris could be played in kiltimagh
Ballagh v Ballintubber could be played in kiltimagh as well
Breaffy v Cross could be foxford or knockmore
C\Town v Castlebar could be in swinford

I agree 100% with you regarding the atmosphere in McHale Park Davitt Man. This was mentioned here before, lack of atmosphere at McHale Park if there's less than 5k there.
Putting these games in compact club grounds would create an altogether better occasion and atmosphere. I'd say even the county final should be played around the county. Give it to a club who may have performed an impressive facilities upgrade and let them keep a percentage of the gate receipts as a reward. Wishful thinking though
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Farrandeelin

Anybody know what games will be on the Saturday or sunday?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Mayo4Sam