Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davitt Man

Quote from: AbbeySider on May 29, 2008, 08:44:21 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 28, 2008, 07:26:57 PM
Is the next round of group games due for the 8th of June? Knockmore v Crossmolina will be pick of the round there if it is.

Yes next round of Championship is the weekend of the 8th of June.
The next weekend of championship after that is the 20th of July, so there is a good break in between.
AFAIK rounds of the North, South, East West divisional cups along with league fixtures will be played in between.

There are no Senior League fixtures betweeb 8th June and 20th July.

League Fixtures this weekend and then the next round is 16th August so effectively no competive games for 6 weeks bewteen 8th June and 20th July.

All clubs will have played 9 weekends in a row and then nothing for 6 weeks!!

the Deel Rover

The nine week break is crazy doesn't help the teams that have built up momentum and that are going well the likes of Breaffy, Charlestown , Castlebar i'm sure they way they are playing they would want a game every 2 weeks or so .
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

magpie seanie

QuoteLeague Fixtures this weekend and then the next round is 16th August so effectively no competive games for 6 weeks bewteen 8th June and 20th July.

That's just plain crazy. How would you be bothered keeping training?

Farrandeelin

We could lose to Sligo. And if we do, the county will not be playing again until the weekend 26/27th July AFAIK. So the only games (if such a scenario does happen) would be the divisionals. That's terrible. No wonder a few young lads are heading to America for the summer.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Mhic Easmuint

Draw is tonight (Friday 30th May) at approx. 9.30pm.

Online sales at http://antrim.gaa.ie finish at 8.45pm

Your last chance to get a ticket to win one of the great prizes.  

Funds generated to go towards the planned Centre of Excellence.
Plans and Video Fly-through available on the website:
http://antrim.gaa.ie/centre-of-excellence/

moysider

Quote from: muscles magoo on May 28, 2008, 08:13:53 AM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on May 28, 2008, 07:05:37 AM

I'm not sure what to make of the fact that only two people applied for the role  of full time secretary. Are people not interested or just don't think they had a chance of getting it?

Probably the latter although the report didn't actually specify how many candidates there were in total, only that two made it to interview stage.

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D . Wonder who the token patsy was? Anybody got a name there? Was he one of the Oswalds by any chance? This was shoneenism of the highest order. You can be sure the 'other candidates were hand picked cardboard cut - outs or mad/pissed off to make it appear like a proper selective process. Saying that, Feeney had to get the gig after years of voluntary service, whatever about my/our [ some of us anyway] reservations about some of his utterances/ influence over the years. There is a serious workload there.

stephenite

There is a serious workload and credit must be given where it's due.

However some of his publicity seeking over the years have made him a liability and a disgrace to the association - a bad appointment at a time when a steady hand would be needed to manage the county from an administrative point of view with the redevelopment of Mchale Park etc.

But it was never going to be any other way

muscles magoo

Quote from: moysider on May 30, 2008, 12:53:45 AM

I'm not sure what to make of the fact that only two people applied for the role  of full time secretary. Are people not interested or just don't think they had a chance of getting it?

Probably the latter although the report didn't actually specify how many candidates there were in total, only that two made it to interview stage.

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D . Wonder who the token patsy was? Anybody got a name there?

Think they said it was county board PRO Noelle Horan? Was actually surprised that this was made public as I would have thought that best practice would be to keep names of candidates etc confidential. Unless of course they didn't actually interview anyone and...... Ara, I wont even go there...

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: muscles magoo on May 30, 2008, 07:56:56 AM

Think they said it was county board PRO Noelle Horan? Was actually surprised that this was made public as I would have thought that best practice would be to keep names of candidates etc confidential. Unless of course they didn't actually interview anyone and...... Ara, I wont even go there...

Actually now that you mention it its bizarre that they named Ms Horan alright. The mind boogles. But I agree with Moysider, he is the best man for the job. I'm not sure that you could bring someone in from the cold to replace him, you'd need someone with county board experience and Lord knows those already in place are hardly dripping with class or anything.
Stephenite can't agree with you calling him a disgrace to the association. What in particular are you referring to regarding publicity seeking?
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

muscles magoo

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on May 30, 2008, 08:02:18 AM

Actually now that you mention it its bizarre that they named Ms Horan alright. The mind boogles. But I agree with Moysider, he is the best man for the job. I'm not sure that you could bring someone in from the cold to replace him, you'd need someone with county board experience and Lord knows those already in place are hardly dripping with class or anything.
Stephenite can't agree with you calling him a disgrace to the association. What in particular are you referring to regarding publicity seeking?

Don't mean to jump in on Stephenite here but Feeney didn't exactly cover himself in glory by taking a fairly public stance (in a GAA capacity) in the Nally case a couple of years ago?   

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: muscles magoo on May 30, 2008, 08:10:18 AM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on May 30, 2008, 08:02:18 AM

Don't mean to jump in on Stephenite here but Feeney didn't exactly cover himself in glory by taking a fairly public stance (in a GAA capacity) in the Nally case a couple of years ago?  

Yeah that was very poor judgement. Look I ain't saying he's perfect. But the good he does I think outweighs the bad. I know there's a possibility that people were put off going for the job because they might think they wouldn't get it but its a thankless enough job too. I know if our senior team manager wants a game off or put back he rings Feeney. So does every club. Then there's tickets. County board meetings, every sort of shite. And before someone jumps in and that effort alone isn't enough, he does actually perform his duties fairly well
He's far from perfect but he's doing a good  job in a role that I wouldn't touch with a barge pole so he deserves credit in my book

muscles magoo

[/quote]

Yeah that was very poor judgement. Look I ain't saying he's perfect. But the good he does I think outweighs the bad. I know there's a possibility that people were put off going for the job because they might think they wouldn't get it but its a thankless enough job too. I know if our senior team manager wants a game off or put back he rings Feeney. So does every club. Then there's tickets. County board meetings, every sort of shite. And before someone jumps in and that effort alone isn't enough, he does actually perform his duties fairly well
He's far from perfect but he's doing a good  job in a role that I wouldn't touch with a barge pole so he deserves credit in my book
[/quote]

Agreed.

rosnarun

Quote'm not sure that you could bring someone in from the cold to replace him,

isnt that what theysaid about eddie osullivan upto about a week before they sacked him. does that mean hes there for ever? ask the may hurdler has he done a good job , apart from counting sliithors and has seemed to be the driving force behind the sacking of the last 2 may manager one straight after an AIF appearance. a gobsheen.
as regard naming ms horan would it have been done to stop idle fingers from speculating that they didn't even bother having interviews
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

the Deel Rover

Any league results lads cross beat westport by 4 points
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: rosnarun on May 31, 2008, 01:39:59 AM
isnt that what theysaid about eddie osullivan upto about a week before they sacked him. does that mean hes there for ever?

Okay I won't pretend to be a rugby expert but its an entirely different scenario. There's provincial coaches learning the trade at the next level below international rugby and its a logical progression from there.
If you look at the Mayo situation there's not that much new blood coming onto the county board (and don't tell me that they're being stopped because Mike Connelly came on scene in the last couple of years but he is the exception).
The problem is a very simple and straightforward one. County Board people come (by and large) from the clubs. Thats where they get the administrative experience. Clubs are really struggling to get volunteers involved nowadays, particularly at committee level. Are they really going to let one of their better men (or women) go?
It'd be great to see fresh blood coming on the scene but the reality is different.

Quote from: rosnarun on May 31, 2008, 01:39:59 AM
ask the may hurdler has he done a good job , apart from counting sliithors and has seemed to be the driving force behind the sacking of the last 2 may manager one straight after an AIF appearance. a gobsheen.

Jesus I'm sick hearing this crap about the sliothars. The incident in question, which was the sacking of Frank Browne, was primarily due to the fact that the hurlers were calling training sessions beyond the agreed numbers of nights. Now there's nothing wrong with that per se but it brought about extra costs - expenses, catering etc. People get on their high horse about hurling in Mayo but its not like there's a bottomless pit of money to be given to the sport. There are six adult hurling clubs in Mayo. There's over 40 football. Where do you think the money's going to go?
You'll find plenty of people who feel there's not enough money being spent on football too.
If anything hurling has received relatively more than the interest in the game deserves in the past few years (now I'm not saying the sport doesn't deserve it, you do need to invest for a developing game. But I don't think its right to say the hurlers are getting stung either).
By the way I'm not sure what you are referring to about an All-Ireland Final appearance? The hurlers made the Christy Ring final in 04 under Gerry Spelman. He managed them in 05 and then left after finishing his three year term.
Christ I'm sounding like Sean Feeney's PR man now! I wonder is there a full-time position out of that :D
Seriously though we've a lot of problems in Mayo. More people getting involved at club and county board level would do an infinite more amount of good than getting rid of a county secretary who is doing a decent job with no one around to replace him