Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

You are right. Kiltane were declared champions in 95. I was only 8 at the time, so I have no idea why Crossmolina and Garrymore took so long to finish their semi-final. All I can remember is that Garrymore weren't too popular.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Owenmoresider

To correct you slightly, Kiltane weren't declared champions AFAIK, but as Mayo needed a representative in the Connacht club, and the final wasn't played, Kiltane went into that by virtue of being in the final. Lost to Corofin after a replay. I may be wrong, but I didn't see them being declared as champs anyway. That was before it was tightened up so counties had to finish on time or forfeit their place in it, like Donegal lost theirs in 2002. As for the Cross-Garrymore saga, Garrymore objected to one of the Cross players and it dragged on from there. Have to hand it to Garrymore though - they were well tested that year, 9 games and didn't even make the final!

Are Garrymore not too popular still, or was that just at the time? Their glory days were well passed by then anyway.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Owenmoresider on May 04, 2008, 10:24:29 PM
To correct you slightly, Kiltane weren't declared champions AFAIK, but as Mayo needed a representative in the Connacht club, and the final wasn't played, Kiltane went into that by virtue of being in the final. Lost to Corofin after a replay. I may be wrong, but I didn't see them being declared as champs anyway. That was before it was tightened up so counties had to finish on time or forfeit their place in it, like Donegal lost theirs in 2002. As for the Cross-Garrymore saga, Garrymore objected to one of the Cross players and it dragged on from there. Have to hand it to Garrymore though - they were well tested that year, 9 games and didn't even make the final!

Are Garrymore not too popular still, or was that just at the time? Their glory days were well passed by then anyway.

Your spot on there OMS - as Kiltane were the only team actually in the final they were nominated. Garrymore wouldn't be the most popular club still. They'd have a rep for being dogged, sometimes beyond legal means. They've been on the way back for the last five years but I think they might surprise teams this year. A lot of good young players coming through from minor like Mark Tierney, Trevor and Shane Nally, David Tierney and add in the like of Enda Varley, Jimmy Killeen and Tony Corcoran and there is potential for a decent side
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

ludermor

aye we were put forward as mayos rep that year,played corofin that year they won the all ireland, we pushed them to a replay the first game got beat by a point the replay, and had to play them the very next day! all down to the PJ 'affair' and no need for it to be honest. but we should have beaten corofin the first day, it would have been interesting to see how far we woud have gone. They had great coverage in saying how small a club they were at the time ( in fairness to them) but we would have pushed them hard

stephenite

Back to the present - Ballina beat Kiltane by four points

RedandGreenSniper

Division 1a results from mayogaa.com

Charlestown 1-11, Crossmolina 1-7
Breaffy 2-9, Knockmore 0-8
Burrishoole 1-8, Moy Davitts 1-10
Westport 1-11, Davitts 1-7
Belmullet 0-5, Ballinrobe 1-13

Some result for Charlestown - they're flying it so far this year. Early favourites for the championship perhaps? Ballagh' not starting well but ya can never forget Crossmolina, or Ballina.

Farrandeelin

Watch Castlebar this year. Dark horses imo but it seems in nobody else's.

stephenite

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 05, 2008, 07:03:00 PM

You said that last year as well IIRC!! Suppose it has to come true one year at least

RedandGreenSniper

They've been considered dark horses every year since they came back up from intermediate in 2006. They got to the quarter-finals that year, only to be given a lesson by Crossmolina. They won Division 1 that year though so people thought they would do well last year. How they didn't beat Knockmore in the last group game (which would have brought them to the quarters is beyond me. Think you'll agree Farrandeelin, ye were lucky to get through this year.

The feeling around Castlebar this year though seems to be very much now or never. They've a lot of good, young players but the question is can they step up to the mark? Have they the leaders among the younger lads?

They've everything in place in the backgroun - Peter Ford's appointment to the management team is a huge boost - and they've started the league very well. Time will tell how then get on but at the minute I'd agree - ignore them at your peril

Farrandeelin

Quote from: stephenite on May 06, 2008, 12:10:37 AM

You said that last year as well IIRC!! Suppose it has to come true one year at least

Yeah, I did. :o Anyway RGS, didn't see all that much football last year and missed that Castlebar v Knockmore game, but whatever you say. ;)

RedandGreenSniper

Oh take my word for it, ye were super useless that day :D

the Deel Rover

Cross 2 . 14 breaffy 2 . 8 good result for cross against previously unbeaten breaffy
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Farrandeelin

It says 2-13 to 2-7 on mayogaa Deel Rover. Anyway, Knockmore beat Burrishoole this evening by 5, 0-11 to 0-6. Both sets of forwards had an off-day. I was surprised by the length of the grass on the Knockmore pitch. I saw too that Ballina gave Garrymore a hiding, 2-11 to 0-7 in Garrymore. Ballaghaderreen and Charlestown drew. Castlebar won by 2 against Kilmeena.

the Deel Rover

Ye must be top of the league farrandeelin especially with the draw between ballaghadreen and charlestown its fairly tight and a good league so far not a lot between the teams
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Farrandeelin

No, Breaffy are still on top. Then there's a few teams on 6 points. Ye are up with the lot of us I think Deel Rover.