Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davitt Man

For me i thought Kevin Deignan was charlestowns best player, he cut out alot of ball, parsons was ok for a young lad and paul mulligan was deadly off the floor, but to many of there main players didnt do enough for me, dermot & aiden higgins were poor for me especially aiden, paul mc garry cleaned aiden in the 1st half. I have played c-town plenty times and there half back line is a nightmare yet on sunday they didnt make any move forward apart from once in the 1st half but that was it. Dermot Higgins did get a score in the 2nd half but with his pace he should being doing that all day up and down the field.

On the Ballina side, a huge amout of ball went through paul mcgarry, pat harte drove at c-town time and time again, wynne was effective and ger brady worked hard, david was quiet then he set-up 2 goals and scored one, job done.

All in all it was a poor county final and the standard of football bar the 1st 20min from charlestown which was great to watch was all in all poor stuff. Ballina constantly lashing in sky scrappers into brady.

MacDanger

QuoteFor me i thought Kevin Deignan was charlestowns best player

Wouldn't agree with that at all. From what I could see in the 2nd half, Deignan was marking McGarry; both players ignored each other and both picked up a good amount of loose balls, particularly long punts out from the back. Easy enough to look good when you're not marking anyone.

Davitt Man

Quote from: MacDanger on October 03, 2007, 02:21:05 PM
QuoteEasy enough to look good when you're not marking anyone.

ala Bryan Cullen and Kieran McGeeney

Farrandeelin

Ballina v Knockmore goes ahead this weekend at 2pm in Ballina. The other fixture in Division 1 is in 1A where Moy Davitts play Ballintubber in Foxford. Mayo Gaels v Kiltimagh is in Mayo Abbey on Saturday evening in Division 2B
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

AbbeySider

Connacht Intermediate Championship Final Sunday November 18th at 2.00

Ballintubber V Moycullen (Galway) Ref : Haulie Beirne in in Mchale park, Castlebar

Moycullen would be favourites for this one id say. Hard to call it, but it would be nice to round off the year with a Connaught title !
You down for this Tubberman? 

Tubberman

Yeah, I'll definitely be down. Have a work do up here tonight, but getting train down tomorrow (I know I'll be in bits so not driving).
Time for a couple of pints after the match on Sunday and back up again on the last train.

I was out last weekend and got talking to a Kerry man living in Moycullen - such a combination! ::)
He reckons Moycullen should really be playing senior. They were senior for years, took their eye off the ball and ended up in intermediate. So we'll definitely be up against it and Moycullen will be favourites. But it's in McHale park and you never know what will happen in a game in mid-November.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

AbbeySider

Quote from: Tubberman on November 16, 2007, 03:51:51 PM
Yeah, I'll definitely be down. Have a work do up here tonight, but getting train down tomorrow (I know I'll be in bits so not driving).
Time for a couple of pints after the match on Sunday and back up again on the last train.

I was out last weekend and got talking to a Kerry man living in Moycullen - such a combination! ::)
He reckons Moycullen should really be playing senior. They were senior for years, took their eye off the ball and ended up in intermediate. So we'll definitely be up against it and Moycullen will be favourites. But it's in McHale park and you never know what will happen in a game in mid-November.

Being at home is an advantage but hopefully the supporters will turn out and be vocal. There is a preview by Ray Silk in the Galway Advertiser

Maigh Cuilinn will have it all to do to annex Connacht title
Maigh Cuilinn football club was formed in 1912. And here it is, 95 years later,

Ray Silke

This Sunday the team and the majority of its 300 members will head to McHale Park in Castlebar for a 2pm throw-in against Ballintubber.

The victors will be the 2007 Connacht intermediate club champions and they and their supporters will really start to believe they can go all the way to an All-Ireland final in the hallowed ground of Croke Park.

Those thoughts though are for another day and first Seán O'Dea will have to outfox former Mayo All-Star James Horan in the tactical battle and his players will have to do the business inside the white lines.

Maigh Cuilinn have been inspired all season by the inspirational diamond of Paul Clancy, Mark Lydon, Gareth Bradshaw, and Tomás Higgins. Others who have also caught the eye are Kieran O'Connor, Seán Bradshaw, Brian Faherty, and Pat and Philip Lydon.

A major problem is they find it incredibly difficult to play two good halves of football. Against Monivea/Abbey and St Dominic's it was only in the second half that they really opened up their shoulders.

Team selector Michael Lee acknowledges their inability to be consistently good for the full hour is a problem.

"We have discussed it, but we are still waiting for a really solid performance from the team for a full game. Against Kilconly we had a purple patch at the start, and in most other games it has been in the second half that we have played well. This weekend we need to start well and finish well.

"The mood is very positive in the panel as it was been all year and we are looking on this as another new adventure. Our objective was to get back to senior at the start of the season and we have achieved that, so we feel we are in bonus territory. That said, we would love to collect another cup on Sunday."

The Killanin native is aware that Ballintubber will be a tough nut to crack, especially on home turf.

"It is a classic Galway versus Mayo game, and as we all know, they can go anyway. They have some fine players like Alan and Gary Dillon, the O'Connor brothers, so it won't be easy. We have a good few niggling injuries, but we are hopeful that all the lads will be available for selection on Thursday night. You don't get too many chances to win a provincial club title and we are going out with all guns blazing to try to do so. After all, who knows when we will get the chance to do so again?"

As I have not seen Ballintubber, it is impossible to make a valid assessment of how this game will go. However, based on reports from a few buddies in Mayo, they are a well organised and tough side.

That said, if Maigh Cuilinn can produce the form they did in the second half of their two games against Monivea and St Dominic's and combine them into one hour's football, they will be triumphant.

That's a big if though

OakLeaf

I've added a new Live Scores feature to GAA Radio. If you're at any Mayo club games it'd be good if you could text score updates to 447624804328. This service is free for everyone to view at http://www.gaaradio.com/scores/liveScores.jsp . Thanks.

Mhic Easmuint

Full details and you your ticket online at: http://antrim.gaa.ie/saffron-sweep-2008/

Feel free to ask questions on the main thread.

AbbeySider

This thread has been neglected over the past few months!
Has anyone any news or reviews of club matches at the weekend?

Davitt Man

The pitchs are in a bad way and therefore alot of games called off last weekend. Full round of games this weekend but the weather is promised very bad from thrusday on, rain rain and more rain.

Davitt Man

League Div 1A

Ballinrobe v Breaffy
Davitts v C\Town
Moy Davitts v Ballaghderreen
Knockmore v Crossmolina
Belumllet v Burrishule

Farrandeelin

Quote from: AbbeySider on March 18, 2008, 12:57:36 PM

Well the Mayo Football and Hurling discussion thread took most of the posts over the past few months. It must be annoying for club players that have trained so hard to find out the timetables for last weekend's games only for them to be called off. Hopefully there will be some going ahead this weekend anyway.

Davitt Man

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 20, 2008, 07:49:24 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on March 18, 2008, 12:57:36 PM

Well the Mayo Football and Hurling discussion thread took most of the posts over the past few months. It must be annoying for club players that have trained so hard to find out the timetables for last weekend's games only for them to be called off. Hopefully there will be some going ahead this weekend anyway.

Theres alot of rain down here today lads, could be more games off!!

Farrandeelin

The Weekend's results courtesy of mayogaa.com

Division 1A
Ballinrobe 0-9 Breaffy 2-8
Moy Davitts 1-8 Ballaghaderreen 1-8
Knockmore 1-10 Crossmolina 0-10

Division 1B
Ballina Stephenites 1-9 Kilmeena 1-7
Kiltane 1-15 Islandeady 1-5
Garrymore 3-5 Ballintubber 1-11
Shrule-Glencorrib 3-11 Claremorris 3-8
Castlebar Mitchels 2-17 Louisburgh 0-5

Division 1C
Hollymount 0-7 Kilcommon 2-6
Mayo Gaels 1-6 The Neale 1-12
Swinford 3-7 Kiltimagh 0-6
Killala 1-6 Kilmaine 0-11

Division 1D
Moygownagh 0-7 Carramore 1-13
Eastern Gaels 0-6 Achill 2-16
Crossmolina B 3-13 Balla 1-2

Division 1E
Knockmore B 1-12 Kilfian 3-4
Moy Davitts B 0-10 Lahardane 2-6
Ballycastle 0-12 Ballinrobe B 0-11
Charlestown B 0-15 Ballintubber B 0-1 ?
Castlebar B 0-11 Ballaghaderreen B 0-6

Division 1F
Belmuller B 2-6 Ardagh 0-6
Lacken 0-10 Westport B 0-8
Shrule-Glencorrib B 1-9 Breaffy B 3-7
Kilcommon B 0-2 Achill B 3-15
Kilmovee 0-7 Aghamore B 2-9
Swinford B 1-6 Ardnaree B 0-7