Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

Quote from: Marooned on August 24, 2007, 10:03:52 AM
I think Ballina will have most of their big names back from what I hear.........Caffrey, Melia out I think with L Brady on the way back......think the rest of it is a smoke screen alright.......

The rest of what a smokescreen?

Stephenites beat Garrymore by 4 in what I believe was a poor game as far as I hear - missing some other players to add to the mythical smokescren.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: stephenite on August 26, 2007, 11:00:46 AM
Quote from: Marooned on August 24, 2007, 10:03:52 AM
I think Ballina will have most of their big names back from what I hear.........Caffrey, Melia out I think with L Brady on the way back......think the rest of it is a smoke screen alright.......

The rest of what a smokescreen?

Stephenites beat Garrymore by 4 in what I believe was a poor game as far as I hear - missing some other players to add to the mythical smokescren.
Yep, wasn't a great game, thought ye would have put Garrymore away by a lot more, they were a weak enough outfit. Knockmore were impressive in the first half, led 0-9 to 1-1 at half-time, Burrishoole made an attempt to come back but never looked like winning, no scores for the last quarter either. That No. 7 for Burris' (Keane) seems to have issues to sort out as well.

IMO the likely Moclair winners will come from today's games, but you wouldn't know either. Both sides can improve.

Ballagh 2-17 Kiltane 1-4 latest!!!

Owenmoresider

Ballintubber looking good to blow it yet again, trailing Ballyhaunis 2-8 to 0-10 with minutes remaining.

Hopefully will get word on Cross/Charlestown soon.

Ballagh 2-20 Kiltane 1-5 result. They will take stopping.

Owenmoresider

Result:

Charlestown 2-9 Crossmolina Deel Rovers 1-12

Semis: Ballina v Ballagh, Knockmore v C'town/Cross.

Ballintubber came back!! Won 1-12 to 2-8.

StoneWall

Senior Football Championship
Kiltane  1-5 2-20 Ballaghadereen
Crossmolina 1-12 2-9 Charlestown
Knockmore  0-12 1-4 Burrishoole
Ballina 0-12 0-8 Garrymore

Semis
Ballaghadereen V Ballina
Crossmolina/Charlestown V Knockmore

Intermediate Football Championship
Ballintubber  1-12 2-8 Ballyhaunis
Belmullet  0-13 1-5 Crossmolina
Kiltimagh  0-11 1-8 Davitts
Swinford  1-11 2-5 Aghamore

Semis
Belmullet V Ballintubber
Kiltimagh/Davitts V Swinford

Farrandeelin

I'd love it if Ballina beat Ballaghaderreen! Yes stephenite, it's here in black and white. I'd say Ballagh are feeling cocky right now and I wouldn't be sorry if they were knocked out the next day. They probably will go on and win. Just about.

Knockmore's first half performance was impressive yesterday evening, but I cannot see them getting any further than the next round which we will have to wait and see who comes out on top between Cross and Charlestown.

Charlestown did well today considering Ginger Tiernan was sent off for 2 yellow cards. The Cross boys (Deel Rover et al) will give us more info on that game as I only heard the report on the radio.

As for Ballina themselves, they did the job, but there was nothing pretty about it. It's what championship wins are all about really and they will test Ballagh way more than Kiltane did today. To be honest, nobody gave Kiltane a chance.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

stephenite

Ballagh seem to be very impressive. Unlikely anyone in the country, never mind the County will be able to stop them. Surely a team of this standard will simply bully Ballina out of the championship with giants like Andy Moran and the Hanley brothers. Ballina team are too old to be able to physically match up with the boys from the East.

Bate the lugs off them lads :o

AbbeySider

Quote from: Owenmoresider on August 26, 2007, 03:28:05 PM
Ballintubber looking good to blow it yet again, trailing Ballyhaunis 2-8 to 0-10 with minutes remaining.
Ballintubber came back!! Won 1-12 to 2-8.

:D  :D  :D

Hilarious commentary there Owenmoresider !
It was absolute day light robbery in MayoAbbey for the 'tubber / Ballyhaunis game. We were trailing 6 points with about 10 minutes to go. On paper we looked a better team but Ballyhaunis deserved something from the game as they played much better on the day. I dont know how we pulled it out of the fire but the goal came from a scramble in the last seconds of the game. Its still hard to believe we won in the end.  ;D

OirthearMhaigheo

Quote from: stephenite on August 27, 2007, 12:48:15 AM
Ballagh seem to be very impressive. Unlikely anyone in the country, never mind the County will be able to stop them. Surely a team of this standard will simply bully Ballina out of the championship with giants like Andy Moran and the Hanley brothers. Ballina team are too old to be able to physically match up with the boys from the East

Bate the lugs off them lads :o

Very good Stephenite, trying the Kerry "we haven't a chance" approach?! You've hit the nail on the head though, it will be a serious clash in styles. Ballina will be the bigger team physically, Ballagh with the slightly more natural footballers, so which won gets to impose their style on the game will obviously win. Who are Ballina still missing by the way Stephenite, I didn't hear the team that played Garrymore, they will probably be close to a full team by the semi?
I still think Ballina will be alot of peoples favourites though, yes Ballagh have looked awesome so far, but what have they played? A very poor Kiltane team on the day at least, a second string Ballina in the league, have not played Cross or Charlestown all year, so I think there is a little bit of over hype so far. Ballina have done it all, have all the experience, have a starting 15 (when all fit) that have probably played county at some level in their careers. Depsite what Farendeelin thinks, what the hell would Ballagh be cocky about, getting to a county final last year? I doubt it. If ever there was a team lying the long grass this year it's Ballina, they will be seriously pumped up for the semi and it's set up nicely for them to cause an "upset".

stephenite

You'll have to excuse my ignorance Oirthear, being based overseas my ear is not as close to the ground as it once was. From what I hear we were missing DB, Liam Brady, Shane Melia and Ger Caffrey. But that's third hand news I'm getting from the brother who wasn't at the game. So, not gospel.

Ballagh will start firm favourites to win this one, and rightly so - the talent they have throughout the team is incredible. In all seriousness, the Moclair is Ballagh's to lose

rosnarun

Quotethe Moclair is Ballagh's to lose

i think you ll find that it acually belongs to cross and we will give it back whe we are  well and done with it thank you
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

OirthearMhaigheo

Quote from: rosnarun on August 27, 2007, 01:58:10 PM
Quotethe Moclair is Ballagh's to lose

i think you ll find that it acually belongs to cross and we will give it back whe we are  well and done with it thank you

very true Ros, I think Cross are being written off a bit too easily aswell. I'm surprised the way people are assuming Ballagh have improved so much from last year that their name is half written on the cup already. They have definitely improved, but Crossmolina won fair and square in the replay, in truth they had a bit to spare. I still think there is the bit of cuteness coming from the Ballina camp that comes with experience and they are loving the way Ballagh are being built up and talking down their own chances (not that your one of them of course Stephenite!). If Ballagh do win the county they'll earn it as it's right up there as being the toughest county title to win, theirs to lose? the serious stuff is only starting now!

stephenite

Ah I'm not writing off Crossmolina per se - just a figure of speech to illustrate that I believe Ballagh are strong favourites to win the championship.
Still a lot of football to be played and if the Stephenites can click with a full team playing their best they'll be hard stopped.

And the Moclair Cup does not belong to any club, least of all a Johnny come lately club who's victory count is still only in single digits :D

Redgreenery

Ballaghadeereen have been so impressive and consistant with the good football this year and I honestly think they'll come out of Mayo and would not be surprised at all if they went on to the latter stages of the All Ireland and think they could do it. They are really strong and will be hard beaten.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: stephenite on August 28, 2007, 01:58:33 AM
Ah I'm not writing off Crossmolina per se - just a figure of speech to illustrate that I believe Ballagh are strong favourites to win the championship.
Still a lot of football to be played and if the Stephenites can click with a full team playing their best they'll be hard stopped.

And the Moclair Cup does not belong to any club, least of all a Johnny come lately club who's victory count is still only in single digits :D

Still an impressive enough haul for a rural Johnny come lately club. ;)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.