Car Servicing/Maintaince

Started by GJL, August 29, 2012, 05:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJL

Quote from: andoireabu on October 20, 2014, 01:50:57 PM
A light came up on the dash the other day saying the bonnet is open even though it isn't and the electric windows stopped working on the same day.  Any ideas?  Could the same thing have caused both to happen?  I'm guessing it's a sensor or something in the bonnet but not a clue why the windows stopped working.

The fact that both happened on the same day would make me think it is related but with electrics you never know. Do the simple things first like check all fuses.

supersarsfields

Quote from: GJL on October 20, 2014, 02:49:40 PM
Quote from: supersarsfields on October 20, 2014, 02:26:08 PM
My engine light came on and I brought it to a friend. He put it on the machine and it's was saying the diesel particulate filter. Would a bottle of particulate regenerator in the diesel sort this out or would I need to do more?

It is worth a try but usually it needs more than that. What type of car?

Ford Mondeo 2008.

StephenC

GJL ... Missus has a 2010 Fabia 1.6TDI. Every time she switches on the rear wiper, it won't switch off until the ignition is switched off. It's designed to come on every time she puts the car in reverse so basically every time she reverses, she has to switch off the car to get the wiper to stop.

Any ideas before I throw it to the local garage?

Cheers.

Tony Baloney

My engine light came on and I brought it to a friend. He put it on the machine and it's was saying the diesel particulate filter. Would a bottle of particulate regenerator in the diesel sort this out or would I need to do more?

Did you (or someone else) not say in an earlier post that the DPF can be regenerated by doing a motorway run in a relatively low gear increase exhaust heat to burn off soot particles.

theskull1

I had breathing problems on and off for years on my vauxhall.

Combination of bad inlet manifold design, EGR sticking, DPF getting clogged up. Still never sure where the chicken are egg are in all this mix.  :o

Stripping & cleaning the EGR every now and then would help but it always felt down on power, but not being in limp mode was better than nothing. Eventually got scundered and took the DPF off and put a few holes through the filter with a 900mm drill bit (didn't total drill out the DPF). Was always told you had to map out the DPF when cutting out the DPF as the sensors look for a pressure differential on either side of the filter but I appear to have gotten away with it. Long and short of it is it liberated the car. Have still had to clean the EGR the odd time but that no biggie

My car may behave differently to other makes, so I would do some investigations first

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Last Man

Quote from: StephenC on October 20, 2014, 05:19:35 PM
GJL ... Missus has a 2010 Fabia 1.6TDI. Every time she switches on the rear wiper, it won't switch off until the ignition is switched off. It's designed to come on every time she puts the car in reverse so basically every time she reverses, she has to switch off the car to get the wiper to stop.

Any ideas before I throw it to the local garage?

Cheers.
Worth checking the wiring to the tailgate, inside the rubber boot beside the tailgate hinge. My Mk4 golf dicks about when the boot is openned and closed.

johnneycool

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 20, 2014, 05:20:44 PM

Did you (or someone else) not say in an earlier post that the DPF can be regenerated by doing a motorway run in a relatively low gear increase exhaust heat to burn off soot particles.

I'd a 2006 TDCi Mondeo with a bit of EGR, DPF problem and being down on power and a mechanic up in Lindsays Ford in Mallusk recommended a bit of a 4th gear revving next time I was on the M2 to do as you say.
I was a bit dubious of running it too long at high revs but there certainly was a lovely dark plume of soot out of it for a while.
It helped for a while, but needed a good manual cleaning of the EGR as well.

nrico2006

Anybody got the AA Parts and Recovery cover for £120 a year that covers you in the event of a breakdown as well as paying for any repairs up to £500? 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Last Man

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 28, 2014, 08:33:21 AM
Anybody got the AA Parts and Recovery cover for £120 a year that covers you in the event of a breakdown as well as paying for any repairs up to £500?
The recovery alone is costing me 120, that's for the wife as well though.

Rois

How much would you pay to replace a timing belt on a VW Eos 2.0 TDi?  I have a price of £200 from a garage in Belfast that includes parts and labour, just wondering if it's good.

GJL

Quote from: Rois on October 28, 2014, 12:37:14 PM
How much would you pay to replace a timing belt on a VW Eos 2.0 TDi?  I have a price of £200 from a garage in Belfast that includes parts and labour, just wondering if it's good.
Does that also include VAT?

billabong

Independent garage Rois or is it a dealership?

WeeDonns

QuoteAnybody got the AA Parts and Recovery cover for £120 a year that covers you in the event of a breakdown as well as paying for any repairs up to £500?

I have this. Clutch went on car a year ago but they wouldn't cover it as it was wear & tear

GJL

Quote from: WeeDonns on October 28, 2014, 01:37:10 PM
QuoteAnybody got the AA Parts and Recovery cover for £120 a year that covers you in the event of a breakdown as well as paying for any repairs up to £500?

I have this. Clutch went on car a year ago but they wouldn't cover it as it was wear & tear

They are correct. Would you ask them to replace your tyres when they are worn out?

Rois

Quote from: billabong on October 28, 2014, 01:36:23 PM

Independent garage Rois or is it a dealership?
Independent garage in the Wild West.  I assume it's inclusive of VAT as they said it was all-in.