Car Servicing/Maintaince

Started by GJL, August 29, 2012, 05:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Under Lights

Quote from: GJL on April 04, 2014, 08:46:06 PM
Quote from: Under Lights on April 04, 2014, 05:59:29 PM
GJL- have you any decent runarounds. Car gave up on me last week- need something around 700 to get me to and from work.

Nothing at present. Cars at that price I trade in usually only last a couple of days. If I get on soon I'll let you know.

Cheers.

BenDover

GJL but of advice. Had the crankshaft pulley changed on my vectra c on Tuesday, but since then the alarm has been going off randomly. Car was drove to and from Belfast on Wednesday so should have been enough to charge the battery. Any idea what could be wrong now?

giveherlong

Have a Jetta 06 1.9 TDI which gives an awful shudder when you accelerate quickly but is ok when you get up to speed. When out of gear and idle when you throttle it there is no problem so seems to be getting the diesel ok. Any ideas what the problem would be? 97k on it.

theskull1

Quote from: giveherlong on May 08, 2014, 05:09:18 PM
Have a Jetta 06 1.9 TDI which gives an awful shudder when you accelerate quickly but is ok when you get up to speed. When out of gear and idle when you throttle it there is no problem so seems to be getting the diesel ok. Any ideas what the problem would be? 97k on it.

Has the flywheel & clutch ever been replaced?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

giveherlong

Nope clutch or fly wheel never done. Would the shuddering indicate that could be issue?

theskull1

Do you hear any rattling at idle?

A DMF (dual mass flywheel) rattles away at idle and can judder a bit when you engage the clutch. Symptoms disappear when you're up and going

DMFs last anything from 50k to 150k+ miles depending on the type of driving

Upwards on 500 quid for parts
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

giveherlong

GJL

Quote from: BenDover on May 08, 2014, 11:37:35 AM
GJL but of advice. Had the crankshaft pulley changed on my vectra c on Tuesday, but since then the alarm has been going off randomly. Car was drove to and from Belfast on Wednesday so should have been enough to charge the battery. Any idea what could be wrong now?

Hi. I'm afraid I'm not that familiar with vauxhalls. I can't think of how changing the pulley would effect the alarm unless he upset some wiring when doing the job.

GJL

Quote from: giveherlong on May 08, 2014, 05:09:18 PM

Like skull suggests it is unlikely to be flywheel unless somebody has replaced it with a cheap solid flywheel conversion kit. These are a bad job and can create judder. Otherwise it would be good to plug it in to see if any faults have recorded. Are there any warning lights on?

BartSimpson

planting the foot on the pedal can sometimes bring out a 'miss' in the engine. Maybe there is a compression issue? Or a dodgy injector?
guwan the parish

giveherlong

Thanks for all the posts. Still have a month left on warranty. Work has to be done by VAT reg garage and they send bill to company providing warranty. Going to try donnellys in Dungannon

GJL

Quote from: giveherlong on May 09, 2014, 09:10:28 AM
Thanks for all the posts. Still have a month left on warranty. Work has to be done by VAT reg garage and they send bill to company providing warranty. Going to try donnellys in Dungannon

We are VAT registered. ;)

giveherlong

Where are u based and when could you take the car?

GJL

Quote from: BartSimpson on May 08, 2014, 09:50:30 PM
planting the foot on the pedal can sometimes bring out a 'miss' in the engine. Maybe there is a compression issue? Or a dodgy injector?

What type of car?

giveherlong

Give GJL a shout if you need any car work done. He was able to take me at short notice on Friday evening. Quickly diagnosed it wasn't a clutch or fly wheel issue. Change of fuel filter and air filter done the job. He's based in ballygawley so easy accessible