Car Servicing/Maintaince

Started by GJL, August 29, 2012, 05:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fearsiuil

DOE for van in the morning, told testing garage had one of spot lights cracked and he told me they would fail me so have to replace. New lamp unit required, €78. OK. Total for job €185. An hour's work in a VW main dealer garage over €100/hr !!!!!

Getting done in garage nearby for €20. Is this normal rates for a main dealer ? Couldn't believe it.

nrico2006

Quote from: fearsiuil on February 19, 2013, 01:42:49 AM
DOE for van in the morning, told testing garage had one of spot lights cracked and he told me they would fail me so have to replace. New lamp unit required, €78. OK. Total for job €185. An hour's work in a VW main dealer garage over €100/hr !!!!!

Getting done in garage nearby for €20. Is this normal rates for a main dealer ? Couldn't believe it.

I wouldn't be surprised by any prices a dealer quotes you, I have got parts before for £40 that a delaer was quoting £200 for.  Disgrace how they operate.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

fearsiuil

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 19, 2013, 08:48:31 AM

I wouldn't be surprised by any prices a dealer quotes you, I have got parts before for £40 that a delaer was quoting £200 for.  Disgrace how they operate.

Went to VW dealer and collected fog lamp, €85, straight down to local mechanic and he had small panel off, cracked lamp taken out and new one plugged in etc. all within 3 minutes. Unreal ! Guy in VW dealership service department was quoting me €107 for one hour of labour.
Mechanic told me I should of got a "spurious" part for around €40 instead of the €85 lamp with the VW stamp.

5 Sams

Quote from: fearsiuil on February 19, 2013, 12:28:34 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on February 19, 2013, 08:48:31 AM

Went to VW dealer and collected fog lamp, €85, straight down to local mechanic and he had small panel off, cracked lamp taken out and new one plugged in etc. all within 3 minutes. Unreal ! Guy in VW dealership service department was quoting me €107 for one hour of labour.
Mechanic told me I should of got a "spurious" part for around €40 instead of the €85 lamp with the VW stamp.

Had a Golf once that got its wing mirror smached...hoor drove on. Got a replacment in Traynors in the Moy for £30...brand new in the box spurious part. VW were quoting £90 plus labour. Only difference was the VW log on it! The brother stuck it on in 20 minutes.
The Aristocrat Years

All of a Sludden

Spurious parts are dirt, especially the ones that Traynors sell, they are cheap for a reason. You'd be better off with second hand, genuine parts.

5sams, I assume you were using the VW garage in Newry. They have lost the VW franchise and will be closing in June.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

GJL

Quote from: All of a Sludden on February 19, 2013, 12:42:52 PM
Spurious parts are dirt, especially the ones that Traynors sell, they are cheap for a reason. You'd be better off with second hand, genuine parts.5sams, I assume you were using the VW garage in Newry. They have lost the VW franchise and will be closing in June.

+1

Genuine parts are the way to go. I find spurious parts never fit perfect and are poor quality. I also find Ebay great value for second hand genuine parts like headlights, wing mirrors etc and they are delivered direct to your door.

Dealer prices are mental..  We charge £20 per hour ;) ;D

Rois

Quote from: 5 Sams on February 19, 2013, 12:33:44 PM

Had a Golf once that got its wing mirror smached...hoor drove on. Got a replacment in Traynors in the Moy for £30...brand new in the box spurious part. VW were quoting £90 plus labour. Only difference was the VW log on it! The brother stuck it on in 20 minutes.
[/quote]

I have a wing mirror on my VW (Eos) that has corroding casing around it - apparently something to do with the paint components.  There's nothing wrong with the mirror but VW say the only way to fix it is to replace the mirror which is going to be very expensive - because it isn't an integral part of the bodywork of the car, it isn't covered by a corrosion warranty in VW's general terms.

Do you reckon that is something that could be fixed by a bodywork person?  I really don't want to stub up what is looking like £300 per mirror when it is just the paint on the casing. 

All of a Sludden

Quote from: Rois on February 19, 2013, 12:46:52 PM
Do you reckon that is something that could be fixed by a bodywork person?  I really don't want to stub up what is looking like £300 per mirror when it is just the paint on the casing.

Sounds like something your local body shop could repair for £50
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Rois on February 19, 2013, 12:46:52 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on February 19, 2013, 12:33:44 PM

I have a wing mirror on my VW (Eos) that has corroding casing around it - apparently something to do with the paint components.  There's nothing wrong with the mirror but VW say the only way to fix it is to replace the mirror which is going to be very expensive - because it isn't an integral part of the bodywork of the car, it isn't covered by a corrosion warranty in VW's general terms.

[/quote]Run a mile. Paying dealership prices is madness in my opinion unless you want to keep dealer stamps in the service book during warranty. I personally don't believe you will ever recoup the cumulative price difference, between dealer and local mechanic bills, in the resale value of the car. I will stand corrected though.

qubdub

Key fob no longer works, the wee light on it flashes so is it something to do with the receiver in the car itself? Also, is this something that can be rectified without going to a VW dealer?

Denn Forever

Quote from: qubdub on February 19, 2013, 01:36:20 PM
Key fob no longer works, the wee light on it flashes so is it something to do with the receiver in the car itself? Also, is this something that can be rectified without going to a VW dealer?

The receiver may just need to be reset.  Happens occasionally to be on a Seat cordoba.  Can't remember how to do it but I got the method of thr internet. GLJ can you remember?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

nrico2006

Quote from: qubdub on February 19, 2013, 01:36:20 PM

It could either be the battery or simply a case of a re-sync job between your key fob and your car.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

qubdub

Thanks, tried the re-sync, didn't work, but found that the spare key (which was also dud) is now working again so all good for now.

GJL

For Sale.

VW Bora 1.9 TDI SE. 2002 150000 miles. Great condition and 100% mechanically. MOT until Oct.

£2000.

Who wants a cheap, reliable , economical Diesel?

Milltown Row2

Went to close the passenger door and the latch/hinge (not sure what it's called) buckled and left me unable to close door, tried looking for parts for it but don't know what I'm looking for (proper name)

So it's the bar that connects the door and panel, Is it easy enough to fit? the two bolts at the panel seem fine to take off but I'd imagine I'll have to take off the door panel to get at it. The bar has just rusted away ffs
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea