Started by samuel maguire, May 11, 2022, 03:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gmac

Quote from: gawa316 on November 10, 2022, 05:47:16 PM
Quote from: Gmac on November 10, 2022, 05:44:36 PM
Quote from: gawa316 on November 10, 2022, 05:29:31 PM
Quote from: Gmac on November 10, 2022, 05:16:46 PM
Quote from: gawa316 on November 10, 2022, 04:53:22 PM
Didn't want to start a new thread so I thought I add this in here.

I need to travel home soon, probably end of December. My green card expires in early December but I have applied for a renewal. Will I be able to still travel and get back into the US?
you would need to talk to immigration to get a temporary extension or a travel exemption, I wouldn't travel on an expired green card

I called a number from the USCIS site and a recorded msg mentioned green cards getting extended by 2 years, while renewals were processed. I kept asking to speak to a real person because I couldn't get the answer I was looking for and the virtual bitch hung up on me!
make an appointment and talk to someone bring whatever you have that shows you are accepted for new green card and why you need to travel , if your extension has been approved you are fine .

Any idea where I need to go (website, phone number) to make an appt?
where you live ?

gawa316

Quote from: Gmac on November 10, 2022, 05:49:26 PM
Quote from: gawa316 on November 10, 2022, 05:47:16 PM
Quote from: Gmac on November 10, 2022, 05:44:36 PM
Quote from: gawa316 on November 10, 2022, 05:29:31 PM
Quote from: Gmac on November 10, 2022, 05:16:46 PM
Quote from: gawa316 on November 10, 2022, 04:53:22 PM
Didn't want to start a new thread so I thought I add this in here.

I need to travel home soon, probably end of December. My green card expires in early December but I have applied for a renewal. Will I be able to still travel and get back into the US?
you would need to talk to immigration to get a temporary extension or a travel exemption, I wouldn't travel on an expired green card

I called a number from the USCIS site and a recorded msg mentioned green cards getting extended by 2 years, while renewals were processed. I kept asking to speak to a real person because I couldn't get the answer I was looking for and the virtual bitch hung up on me!
make an appointment and talk to someone bring whatever you have that shows you are accepted for new green card and why you need to travel , if your extension has been approved you are fine .

Any idea where I need to go (website, phone number) to make an appt?
where you live ?

Fresno

gawa316

Finally got through to someone.

I should be receiving a notice that I will need to bring along with my expired green card that will extend it by 24 months or up until I get my new card.

gawa316

For just for anyone else that may be in the same boat...I just got a pdf note sent to my uscis account saying I have been extended for 24 months. I need to print it off and then present it along with my green card to immigration.

So with that being sorted who is best to fly with, what website to book through etc?

Puckoon

You are in California, so I would fly AerLingus direct from either LA or SFO to Dublin. I prefer the one shot, its one less landing and take off to survive - but more importantly one less delay that can happen.

I've taken the direct from LA, SFO and Seattle in the last 4-5 years with Aerlingus and they've all been smooth processes.

gawa316

Aye just did a quick check there and Aer Lingus is the cheapest and direct. That never used to be the case. I see the feckers entice you in with a relatively cheap fare and then it doesn't include a checked bag! >:(

J70

Taking the family back next summer for the first time in years. We're doing Aer Lingus through Shannon.

Thought about Play, an Icelandic airline who are the current budget operation working out of Stewart, which is about 60 miles north of NYC, but even though we'd save a tonne of money, I just don't trust that they'll still be around next summer!

The commute up there doesn't help either - it can take an hour and a half just to get out of the city from where I live.

dec

Quote from: J70 on November 11, 2022, 06:46:10 PM
Taking the family back next summer for the first time in years. We're doing Aer Lingus through Shannon.

Thought about Play, an Icelandic airline who are the current budget operation working out of Stewart, which is about 60 miles north of NYC, but even though we'd save a tonne of money, I just don't trust that they'll still be around next summer!

The commute up there doesn't help either - it can take an hour and a half just to get out of the city from where I live.

Just checked that out, not sure I could handle a middle of the night connection in Reykjavik.

Gmac

The hassle of stopping on east coast when you live on west coast is not worth it for a cheaper flight , east coast airports are dirt

cadhlancian

This happened to me 6 years ago. Was going home for the brothers wedding in July 2016 and realized a month or so beforehand that my green card expired the day after I was leaving to go back home . Spoke with am immigration attorney I knew and he said to pay the renewal fee as normal and that I would be fine coming back if I didn't get the actual card before I was leaving . He said that the A number on the card is more important than the actual card itself . He was correct , I explained my situation in Dublin airport when returning to the states and they already saw my renewal processing , no hassle . Green card was I in the mail box when I got back

omochain

Quote from: Gmac on November 11, 2022, 08:19:01 PM
The hassle of stopping on east coast when you live on west coast is not worth it for a cheaper flight , east coast airports are dirt
Never thought I would say this.
I would listen to GMAC on this one.. Good Advice ;)

gawa316

New green card came today...shocked at the quick turnaround