Hurling 2024

Started by seafoid, January 01, 2023, 08:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eire90

not good for the game having same teams in final

Milltown Row2

There's not a game you could not pick out a grievance with calls. In the main I felt the calls evened themselves out.

Galvin should look back at some of his refereeing decisions over the years. I'd like to see how critical he is of his own strange calls
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

clonadmad

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 09, 2023, 11:01:16 PM
There's not a game you could not pick out a grievance with calls. In the main I felt the calls evened themselves out.

Galvin should look back at some of his refereeing decisions over the years. I'd like to see how critical he is of his own strange calls

Gavin would sicken you with his constant attacks on refs which give's legitimacy to others who never blew a whistle to do much worse

And all for a few € in a newspaper column

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Eire90 on July 09, 2023, 10:41:15 PM

First time since 1973/74 to have back to back Limerick v Kilkenny All Ireland finals.  Limerick won it in 1973 and Kilkenny gained revenge by winning the 1974. History to repeat itself in 2023 with Kilkenny winning?

jcpen

The two best teams in the country are in the final so good for the game or not it is what it is.
This is one of my 3 usernames.

marty34

Quote from: jcpen on July 10, 2023, 06:40:42 AM
The two best teams in the country are in the final so good for the game or not it is what it is.

True.  They played in the 2023 League Final.

Best two teams in 2023. No question.

Premier Emperor

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 09, 2023, 07:44:10 PM
Quote from: marty34 on July 09, 2023, 07:36:21 PM
Quote from: BuzzCagney on July 09, 2023, 04:58:07 PM
A lof Kilkenny support gone home at half time. An awful shower of people.

What?

Well based on that Clare supporter beating up a girl in Hill 16 I'm not surprised
What happened there?

Premier Emperor

Quote from: jcpen on July 10, 2023, 06:40:42 AM
If Kilkenny had to come through the much tougher Munster Championship would they be so fresh?
They had easy games like Antrim and Westmeath and could afford to throw the Wexford game too.

NAG1

Clare just came up short again, they need to develop some more inside forwards who can both win their own ball and take scores.

Don't like concentrate on it but the standard of officiating in both games left a lot of questions.

Limerick are hard to ref, but so many calls were either missed or wrong. Don't even get me started on their 'handpassing' I would say we are close to 80% being throws.

Again yesterday the number of fouls either ignored or missed was shocking, one of the poorest games I've seen him ref.

marty34

Big difference for me was Kilkenny's bench.  They were being dominated for 10 mins+ at the start of the second half. Big Walter came on and won a few balls and gave them an outlet for their puckouts. Wee Richie came on and won a free in the corner.  Kenny got a point.  Pàdraig Walsh got a point.  Outwith Walsh, who came on with about 2 mins to go, the other lads came in early to make a difference. Good calls by the KK management team.

Clare made 3 subs.  Ryan Taylor was injured before half-time . One was a direct switch for the one they made pre-match. Big Aaron Shanagher came in with 2 mins to go, when they needed a goal. It was warm yesterday, serious humid so for me, Lohan didn't think he had enough on the bench.

KK made 5 subs and they all, outwith Buckley really, made a big contribution in the second half.  Clare's didn't. That was the difference in my opinion.

Fantastic save by Murphy. Such quick reactions. O'Donnell was excellent for Clare, Duggan a handful also. Quilligan was very good also. I'm surprised TK wasn't on a lot more frees. Clare have went with Aidan Mc Carthy, TK and now Rogers on the frees.  Hard to beat a consistent free taker.

Some great battles all over the park. Good honest battles between the players.

T.J., for me, is the best hurler ever. Still going strong. Didn't score from play but got on the ball, scored frees and sidelines, won dirty ball and was all over the pitch.  A leader when needed. 

I said before that Clare needed TK to have a big impact on the game, if Clare were going to be successful.  He didn't, unfortunately for Clare. Butler, again done a great job on him. Tracked him everywhere. In Munster games, TK was getting on ball and more importantly scoring, something he only managed once.

Derek Lyng has done a great job in his first year. Leage Final and, Leinster Champions and now All-Ireland Finalists. Not bad in the year after Cody leaves. You can see KK's style changing. Far more adaptable at working it short. But still happy for Richie Reid to mop up ball/short puckouts and he always looks for Cody inside for the long out ball.

Limerick will be strong favourites for Liam again but KK will not panic.

Edit: Kilkenny had 5 wides yesterday in total - 2 in the first half.

Clare had 9 wides in total. 

Not too often both teams have single figure wides in CP I'd say.

marty34

Once more thing, them airhorns would drive you mad.

They should be banned as they're so annoying but more importantly, when a free is being taken by either side, the amount of young ones/teenagers blowing them trying to put the free-taker off is a disgrace. 

Should be taken off them before the go in.

north_antrim_hound

Can't argue with anything Gavin wrote there, Kilkenny are masters at buying frees and getting away with stuff as well. Brian Lohan was going mad on the sideline and quite rightly so. Teams have to bring a game that gives them a few extra scores to counter balance the lob sided free count. Still if Tony Kelly had of showed up and Clare's decision making was a bit better they would have got over the line anyway. Eoin Cody is some player and Eoin Murphy was probably the difference yesterday.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

imtommygunn

KK were cuter at winning frees and at not giving them away. Limerick were the same. I really wasn't overly impressed by the ref yesterday and I'm a neutral.

That's the difference in the best teams though. Clare were a bit naive in places. KK got away with emptying Conlon a few times.

BuzzCagney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 09, 2023, 07:44:10 PM
Quote from: marty34 on July 09, 2023, 07:36:21 PM
Quote from: BuzzCagney on July 09, 2023, 04:58:07 PM
A lof Kilkenny support gone home at half time. An awful shower of people.

What?

Well based on that Clare supporter beating up a girl in Hill 16 I'm not surprised

Scandalous stuff. No place for that behaviour

NAG1

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on July 10, 2023, 10:48:07 AM

Can't argue with anything Gavin wrote there, Kilkenny are masters at buying frees and getting away with stuff as well. Brian Lohan was going mad on the sideline and quite rightly so. Teams have to bring a game that gives them a few extra scores to counter balance the lob sided free count. Still if Tony Kelly had of showed up and Clare's decision making was a bit better they would have got over the line anyway. Eoin Cody is some player and Eoin Murphy was probably the difference yesterday.

Gavin has a cheek complaining about any Ref, he was no better than any of them at the moment.

Also was he not done for assaulting a referee and having the investigation into it stalled to allow him to ref the All Ireland final of that year?