The Open 2017

Started by Boycey, July 17, 2017, 01:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 24, 2017, 11:51:05 AM
Lads, why do people involve in golf insist on using the word 'golf' before the other nouns related to the game. I've never seen any other sport do it as much.

It's always a fantastic 'golf course'. The 17th is a spectacular 'golf hole'. And Rory hit a wonderful 'golf shot' as he mastered the 'golf ball'.

Would there be confusion if it was a fantastic course, a spectacular hole and a wonderful shot with the ball?

Good man AZ, I thought I was was the only one that wondered about that. It's good to know there's another pedant about..

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Boycey on July 24, 2017, 12:06:01 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 24, 2017, 12:02:19 AM
Speith would be short enough odds next month! The Irish lads (bar Rory) had a nightmare

Looked on betfair this evening he's 15/2, Mcilroy 9/1, DJ 10/1

McIlroy has won 2 times at Quail Hollow in the last 6 years at the Wells Fargo - where this years PGA is.

maddog

Quote from: Boycey on July 24, 2017, 12:45:21 PM
Lads, why do people involve in golf insist on using the word 'golf' before the other nouns related to the game. I've never seen any other sport do it as much.

It's always a fantastic 'golf course'. The 17th is a spectacular 'golf hole'. And Rory hit a wonderful 'golf shot' as he mastered the 'golf ball'.

Would there be confusion if it was a fantastic course, a spectacular hole and a wonderful shot with the ball?

Good man AZ, I thought I was was the only one that wondered about that. It's good to know there's another pedant about..

The one that gets me is a rugby player being referred to at times being a lovely footballer. I know its supposed to be rugby football but it isn't is it ?

AZOffaly

True, but at least that tends to be about backs. I'm not sure I've ever heard CJ Stander or Peter O'Mahoney being referred to as footballers :)

Boycey

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on July 24, 2017, 01:21:05 PM
Speith would be short enough odds next month! The Irish lads (bar Rory) had a nightmare

McIlroy has won 2 times at Quail Hollow in the last 6 years at the Wells Fargo - where this years PGA is.

McIlroy had his best round as a pro at Quail Hollow the 1st time he won it. He shot 62 In the final round and seemed to hit every 2nd shot to 3 or 4 ft. The market has settled a bit now and both McIlroy 15/2 and DJ 8/1 are a shorter price than Spieth 8/1

leaveherinsir

I know Speith used the rules to his maximum advantage to get the most advantageous drop on 13th. However that aside I was always taught there was a spirit to the rules of golf. I would go as far to say he was allowed to break that spirit. Surely the powers that be need to look at the way the pros get these drops in tournament play. I remember D.Johnson getting a free drop from thick US Open rough last year because a tv tower was in his line of sight. He proceeded to drop the ball on an adjacent fairway and hit over the tower onto the green. Could they not make all the trappings that go with tv coverage part of the course. They are already getting an advantage of trampled down rough in many cases as it is. I think the less opportunity they have to put their hand on the ball in open play the better. This rant aside glad to say I had Speith and Kuchar both done e/w.

Puckoon

Quote from: leaveherinsir on July 24, 2017, 09:16:23 PM
I know Speith used the rules to his maximum advantage to get the most advantageous drop on 13th. However that aside I was always taught there was a spirit to the rules of golf. I would go as far to say he was allowed to break that spirit. Surely the powers that be need to look at the way the pros get these drops in tournament play. I remember D.Johnson getting a free drop from thick US Open rough last year because a tv tower was in his line of sight. He proceeded to drop the ball on an adjacent fairway and hit over the tower onto the green. Could they not make all the trappings that go with tv coverage part of the course. They are already getting an advantage of trampled down rough in many cases as it is. I think the less opportunity they have to put their hand on the ball in open play the better. This rant aside glad to say I had Speith and Kuchar both done e/w.

The crux of the bolded is that the rules of golf do not exist to solely be used to disadvantage a player. There are usually options in any given rule and you are allowed to use them to your advantage. Using a rule to your advantage is not against the spirit of the game or the rules.

OgraAnDun

A spectacular hole might arouse interest alright.

Orior

Quote from: Boycey on July 24, 2017, 02:07:52 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on July 24, 2017, 01:21:05 PM

McIlroy had his best round as a pro at Quail Hollow the 1st time he won it. He shot 62 In the final round and seemed to hit every 2nd shot to 3 or 4 ft. The market has settled a bit now and both McIlroy 15/2 and DJ 8/1 are a shorter price than Spieth 8/1

The annoying thing for me as a fan of McIlroy is that he can have the longest drive in the field, and leaves himself with a sand wedge into the green, but he will still hits it 15 or 20 yards from the pin. Hell, I can do that.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

leaveherinsir

Quote from: Puckoon on July 24, 2017, 09:35:50 PM

The crux of the bolded is that the rules of golf do not exist to solely be used to disadvantage a player. There are usually options in any given rule and you are allowed to use them to your advantage. Using a rule to your advantage is not against the spirit of the game or the rules.
Im not suggesting the rules should disadvantage a player. However in the 3 options he had he clearly was allowed to bend the rule keeping the ball, its original position and the flag in a straight line. If he wants to drop the ball in between the trucks then play it from there after. I am suggesting the rule is imo wrong as it stands and thus is against the spirit it was intended in. And dont get me started on the length of time he takes generally :)

Ball Hopper

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 24, 2017, 12:14:10 PM
That's true. The 'Football Club' does seem to be a term widely used. But you rarely hear about the 'Football', the 'Football Pitch' or the 'Football Stadium'. And you never hear that was a fantastic Football Shot :)

You seem to have forgotten the US college football - the coaches especially fond of the "football team".  Lou Holtz especially.

thebigfella

Quote from: leaveherinsir on July 24, 2017, 10:02:11 PM

Im not suggesting the rules should disadvantage a player. However in the 3 options he had he clearly was allowed to bend the rule keeping the ball, its original position and the flag in a straight line. If he wants to drop the ball in between the trucks then play it from there after. I am suggesting the rule is imo wrong as it stands and thus is against the spirit it was intended in. And dont get me started on the length of time he takes generally :)

How is the rule wrong? He took his drop as per the rules and got relief due to the trucks being a temp immovable obstruction on the course.

leaveherinsir

Quote from: thebigfella on July 24, 2017, 10:21:21 PM

How is the rule wrong? He took his drop as per the rules and got relief due to the trucks being a temp immovable obstruction on the course.
I know the rules but I dont believe this rule is within the spirit of the game. He clearly got to play from a more advantgeous spot. Either the trucks/tv towers/grandstands etc become part of the course or out of bounds as that range probably would be on most courses. It will never happen though, same way the final group in a major will never be penalised for slow play

screenexile

Quote from: leaveherinsir on July 24, 2017, 10:34:28 PM
Quote from: thebigfella on July 24, 2017, 10:21:21 PM

I know the rules but I dont believe this rule is within the spirit of the game. He clearly got to play from a more advantgeous spot. Either the trucks/tv towers/grandstands etc become part of the course or out of bounds as that range probably would be on most courses. It will never happen though, same way the final group in a major will never be penalised for slow play

The Range is not out of bound for members usually so wasn't considered out of bounds for the Championship either which is fair enough!

Boycey

I don't think Spieth, or Johnson in the case also mentioned did anything against the spirit of the rules but what probably shouldn't have happened yesterday was the length of time that elapsed while the situation was going on. It clearly wasn't fair on his opponent to have to stand around for 20 mins. Spieth had the time to unscramble his head rather than having to play on straight away. I'd say Spieth probably knew exactly what he was doing and fair play to him it's something Tiger would have done in his pomp it was up to the officials to speed things up..