Tommy Tiernan's tasteless "joke" about Arlene Foster

Started by T Fearon, April 26, 2017, 06:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dire Ear

Quote from: Hectic on April 27, 2017, 08:35:15 AM
But I suppose very few comedians are universally popular.  I do like The Savage Eye but I know a lot of folk think it is terrible.
Savage Eye was brilliant, is it over?

Crete Boom

Quote from: Avondhu star on April 26, 2017, 10:35:33 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on April 26, 2017, 10:07:38 PM
Quote from: Orior on April 26, 2017, 08:58:46 PM
Quote from: StGallsGAA on April 26, 2017, 08:45:20 PM
The BBC  have decided to edit Tommy's joke out of the replay of the show.  They've also edited out his reference to Bloody Sunday - someone must have thought that was tasteless too Eben though he wasn't making a joke.

I'm not keen on Tiernan's 'shock' humour. But then there are comedians that I think are hilarious and others just don't get it.

I would agree. i think he's a bit of a tool. There are loads of funny southern comics though. As for the ones in the north not so many...
Obviously you haven't watched the Shinner with the Dunnet Stores suit trying to play the responsible politician act so

We have plenty down south too check this out, https://youtu.be/PUry3qVFfSk !!

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Dire Ear on April 27, 2017, 09:58:37 AM
But I suppose very few comedians are universally popular.  I do like The Savage Eye but I know a lot of folk think it is terrible.

Savage eye was nail on head comedy gold.

BennyCake

Seems like this is a partionist comedians thread. And some people don't like certain comedians just because they come from across the invisible border, rather than just not finding them funny.

Hectic

Quote from: Dire Ear on April 27, 2017, 09:58:37 AM

Have not seen any new stuff lately - some hilarious stuff in it in my opinion from the English trial determining if the guy was Irish by playing the fiddle to see if he would start Irish dancing while throwing potatoes at him, the taking the soup one really got me, the Nordies and on and on and on.  Great stuff.

Orior

Quote from: Hectic on April 27, 2017, 08:31:15 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on April 26, 2017, 06:47:49 PM
Is it just me,or do people generally find,with the exception of Pat Shortt,Freestate comedians (and I use that term losely) to be lewd,obnoxious and generally not funny?

I went to see Tommy Tiernan last minute a few years ago after a friend offered me a ticket - I am not madly up with the comedy scene but I do enjoy a good comedian but to be honest I came away thinking that is not comedy but rather a guy spewing as much filth as he could get out of his mouth.  I am far from a prude but it seriously lacked any sort of wit.

OptionsYour Choice
Strongly AgreeX
Agree
Neither Agree or Disagree
Disagree
Strongly Disagree
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

seafoid

I don't think it matters where they come from.
Same with music.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

screenexile

I think it's massively unfair to judge a comedian's joke based on reading it in a thread that has already called it tasteless!!

If we were meant to read Tommy's jokes he'd put them in a book. I'd rather see the context in which he told it and gauge the reaction of the audience at the time. My guess is he got a hearty laugh from it!!

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: T Fearon on April 27, 2017, 07:01:45 AM
Off the top of my head,unfunny,lewd Freestate "comedians" include,Dara O'Brian,Ed Byrne,Tommy Tiernan,Brendan O'Carroll,Jake Gallagher,Deirdre O'Kane.

By way of contrast,the late Frank Carson and Jimmy Cricket (both sound Catholic Northerners) made me laugh.Their humour was simple and inoffensive.

What is your opinion of Jimmy Young - a comedian from N.Ireland and about as funny as Carson and Cricket but not a Catholic? (You are old enough to know him)

Similarly, where does the Northerner, May McFetteridge, fit into your rating of comedians?

Stall the Bailer

Going to see him tonight for the first time. Can fill you in on the craic or lack off tomorrow

BennyCake

Jimmy Young? Jaysus, thon boy was as funny as a kick in the goolies.

Carson was funny though. Could you imagine spending any length of time with him though. He'd have done yer head in. No wonder his wife kept telling him to go on your :D

Applesisapples

Quote from: T Fearon on April 27, 2017, 07:01:45 AM
Off the top of my head,unfunny,lewd Freestate "comedians" include,Dara O'Brian,Ed Byrne,Tommy Tiernan,Brendan O'Carroll,Jake Gallagher,Deirdre O'Kane.

By way of contrast,the late Frank Carson and Jimmy Cricket (both sound Catholic Northerners) made me laugh.Their humour was simple and inoffensive.
as opposed to you Tony, simple and offensive.

Esmarelda

I think Tiernan can be hilarious but he has started doing strange whispering in his show, and I'm not sure what he's trying to achieve.

Who exactly do the BBC think the joke offended. As someone else said, it's hardly Frankie Boyle territory.

Savage Eye is/was very funny. Pity the boy that does it is a bit of a tool.

Estimator

I went to see Tommy in the Millennium Forum back in February. It was a full house. I thought the majority of his material was hilarious, some of it wasn't great. He certainly descended into some of the more lewd and crude stuff in the second half. Though not close to Jimmy Carr's level. Most of crowd sitting close to where I was definitely enjoyed the show. There was one couple who failed to crack a smile for the entire performance.
Ulster League Champions 2009

T Fearon

Owen.I liked James Young,and remember his tv shows on Saturday nights,in the early 70s.The family even had vinyl LPs of his back in the day,believe it or not.He was funny as he could create local characters we all could recognise.May Mc Fetridge is the same,we've all come across a May in real life.

I also think Pat Shortt is funny without being offensive,as are the likes of Rhod Gilbert.Also liked Tommy Cooper and Ken Dodd even!