El Camino De Santiago

Started by BennyCake, April 24, 2013, 07:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Quote from: BennyCake on February 18, 2018, 10:40:33 AM
Gerry Kelly walks the Camino, Radio Six Counties/Ulster 12.30pm today if anyone is interested.

Still have a hankering to do it myself at some stage. Will be interesting to hear what he has to say.

Get the bus to Portadown and walk back to Newry along the towpath. It will lift your soul. The idea of the Canal was first pitched by engineers working for king William as he marched down to the battle of the Boyne in 1689. The Canal was finished circa 1740.

That walk would tell you if you are ready for the Camino. I'd love to do it. Some people stay in hostels while others stay in hotels. The latter seems to be against the spirit of the walk.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

gallsman

Gerry Kelly walks the Camino, Radio Six Counties/Ulster 12.30pm today if anyone is interested.

Still have a hankering to do it myself at some stage. Will be interesting to hear what he has to say.

Was his car clamped again?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: gallsman on February 18, 2018, 11:38:39 AM

The other Gerry Kelly.

Orior

Gerry Kelly is on Radio Ulster now, talking about the Camino.

BennyCake

;D

BennyCake

Quote from: Orior on February 18, 2018, 11:30:37 AM

Get the bus to Portadown and walk back to Newry along the towpath. It will lift your soul. The idea of the Canal was first pitched by engineers working for king William as he marched down to the battle of the Boyne in 1689. The Canal was finished circa 1740.

That walk would tell you if you are ready for the Camino. I'd love to do it. Some people stay in hostels while others stay in hotels. The latter seems to be against the spirit of the walk.

I haven't walked the Newry canal path but I've done it on bicycle. It's not a bad spin. Would be much better if canal was properly cleaned up and in use.

I suppose it would be a good tester for anyone thinking of doing the Camino. I think it's about 17 miles so you'd need to be covering that sort of distance on the Camino every day.

Hardy

Get the bus to Portadown and walk back to Newry along the towpath. It will lift your soul.

I'd say that applies no matter how you leave Portadown.

Orior

Quote from: Hardy on February 18, 2018, 01:46:10 PM

Get the bus to Portadown and walk back to Newry along the towpath. It will lift your soul.

I'd say that applies no matter how you leave Portadown.

Very good!

gallsman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 18, 2018, 11:53:27 AM

The other Gerry Kelly.

Thanks for that Tony...

BennyCake

Pilgrimage on BBC2 or iplayer. Neil Morrissey, Ed Byrne, Heather Small and others walk the Camino.

Have it recorded, not watched yet.

paddyjohn

I work with a guy who has done this as last 2/3years after the death of his wife. Says it was the best thing he ever done.

rosnarun

here one that has every thing ancient history, pilgrimage a st Patrick and a famine connection ,
a good starter can be done in one day , you could do Westport achill next day if you still have energy though that really just following old train tracks but has been make very walkable of cycle if you like bike hire available all along the line

From Ballintubber Abbey stretching out to Croagh Patrick is Tóchar Phádraig, the ancient pilgrim path.

Originally it was the chariot road that went from Rathcruachan, the seat of the Kings and Queens of Connacht, to Aughagower and Cruachan Aille, as Croagh Patrick was called in Pre-Christian times.

Quest-Brochure-PictureAfter St Patrick's time pilgrims began to traverse that same road to the holy mountain and over time it became known as Tóchar Phádraig or St Patrick's Causeway.

After the pilgrimages to Jerusalem ceased in the C13th due to the taking over of the Holy Places by the Saracens, the pilgrimages to Croagh Patrick became even more important. When Ballintubber Abbey was built in 1216 a hostel was also put in place to cater for the many pilgrims. This hostel, the remains of which can be seen today in the grounds, incorporated a place for both ritual washing and actual cleansing. It is called Danchora or the 'Bath of the righteous'.

After 1588 it went into decline as a public road and in Penal times it ceased to be used as a pilgrim path. In 1987 it was restored and every year hundreds of pilgrims walk Tóchar Phádraig on pilgrimage – a distance of 22 miles (35km).
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

gallsman

Show on BBC over the last few weeks following some "celebrities" of varying degrees of faith walking the Camino. Pretty interesting and entertaining.

manfromdelmonte

It's a long walk
Much of the walk is quite boring.
Days merge into each other.
You start out early to avoid sun and to have time in the evening.
Took me 30 days from France to Santiago.

Looking back, I'd have preferred a week or two walking in alps, Kerry or so somewhere else scenic

BennyCake

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on April 05, 2018, 05:09:31 PM
It's a long walk
Much of the walk is quite boring.
Days merge into each other.
You start out early to avoid sun and to have time in the evening.
Took me 30 days from France to Santiago.

Looking back, I'd have preferred a week or two walking in alps, Kerry or so somewhere else scenic

Was it physically tough? Would you need to do anything each day to prevent injury? I'd have thought lugging a backpack around for a month would be the toughest part of it?