Loughran aghagallon
Smyth sarsfields
Mc conville st pauls
Monterio tir na nog
Mc conville clan eireann

Subs used:

Megoran wolfe fones
Mc afee aghagallon

So, the days of leaving Lurgan to go to Newry to the Abbey or Colman's to win a MacRory Cup medal are well and truly over. Imagine how competitive St Ronan's would be if all the best players in its catchment area stayed in Lurgan for their post 16 education.

The first years who have applied to St.Ronan's next year is already well above what they're allowed to take.

It'll be the biggest school in the north, numbers wise, when the new build is finished in a couple of years.

I take it a lot of the Clann Eireann minor squad go to other schools then?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

The Gs Man

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 20, 2018, 09:32:49 AM
Quote from: The Gs Man on March 20, 2018, 08:16:51 AM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on March 19, 2018, 05:37:35 PM
Quote from: stiffler on March 19, 2018, 05:27:08 PM
Mulholland aghagallon
Haddock clan eireann
Mulholland aghagallon
Mc closkey Eire og
Mccreanor clan na gael
Lamont aghagallon
Haughey Wolfe tones
Lenehan aghagallon
Kelly clan eireann
Meehan clan eireann
Loughran aghagallon
Smyth sarsfields
Mc conville st pauls
Monterio tir na nog
Mc conville clan eireann

Subs used:

Megoran wolfe fones
Mc afee aghagallon

So, the days of leaving Lurgan to go to Newry to the Abbey or Colman's to win a MacRory Cup medal are well and truly over. Imagine how competitive St Ronan's would be if all the best players in its catchment area stayed in Lurgan for their post 16 education.

The first years who have applied to St.Ronan's next year is already well above what they're allowed to take.

It'll be the biggest school in the north, numbers wise, when the new build is finished in a couple of years.

Not sure, but they've 8 lads on the panel, which is a large enough number surely?

Some of them could be lower 6th or younger so may not have made the squad this year.
Keep 'er lit

nrico2006

Quote from: The Gs Man on March 20, 2018, 10:10:34 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on March 20, 2018, 09:32:49 AM
Quote from: The Gs Man on March 20, 2018, 08:16:51 AM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on March 19, 2018, 05:37:35 PM
Quote from: stiffler on March 19, 2018, 05:27:08 PM
Mulholland aghagallon
Haddock clan eireann
Mulholland aghagallon
Mc closkey Eire og
Mccreanor clan na gael
Lamont aghagallon
Haughey Wolfe tones
Lenehan aghagallon
Kelly clan eireann
Meehan clan eireann
Loughran aghagallon
Smyth sarsfields
Mc conville st pauls
Monterio tir na nog
Mc conville clan eireann

Subs used:

Megoran wolfe fones
Mc afee aghagallon

Not sure, but they've 8 lads on the panel, which is a large enough number surely?

Some of them could be lower 6th or younger so may not have made the squad this year.

Was thinking they would have more given their success over the past few years.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

The Gs Man

Think a lot of their minor team left St.Ronan's last year.

See the lads running around in the morph suits yesterday? Mostly Clann Eireann... :-)
Keep 'er lit

illdecide

St Ronan's will be in or around 2000 pupils, bear in mind 50% of that figure are female (or there about), you wanna see the sporting set up for their new school...very impressive in deed. Aghagallon are really strong at minor level and i'm glad to see it, hopefully they can mature into good senior players and compete at senior level in Antrim...In all seriousness Aghagallon has a great catchment area and is getting bigger by the year, soon it'll be a small town, it's expanding like Jim Stynes waistline ;). An antrim senior Championship in the next 5 years? (bold statement).

Funny you men mention the Abbey, any Lurgan man with half a brain ended up at St Coleman's but never the Abbey. suppose they had the football in mind when selecting their school :P.

I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

lurganblue

Quote from: illdecide on March 20, 2018, 11:49:53 AM
St Ronan's will be in or around 2000 pupils, bear in mind 50% of that figure are female (or there about), you wanna see the sporting set up for their new school...very impressive in deed. Aghagallon are really strong at minor level and i'm glad to see it, hopefully they can mature into good senior players and compete at senior level in Antrim...In all seriousness Aghagallon has a great catchment area and is getting bigger by the year, soon it'll be a small town, it's expanding like Jim Stynes waistline ;). An antrim senior Championship in the next 5 years? (bold statement).

Funny you men mention the Abbey, any Lurgan man with half a brain ended up at St Coleman's but never the Abbey. suppose they had the football in mind when selecting their school :P.

I only know of people who left the town to go to either St Colmans or St Pats.  With St Ronan's now declaring themselves as a grammar it means that kids joining either St Colmans or St Pats wont get free travel like they used too. That will be the main impact on the ability of parents to send their kids to other schools.

JimStynes

Jesus it's not growing that quick illdecide! There's still only a total of about 200 children in the two parish schools. My waistline is though haha

Aghagallon has always had a great representation in St. Michael's teams and now St. Ronan's too. There are actually a few from Aghagallon that go to the Abbey, a few in St. Coleman's and 1 or maybe 2 in St. Pat's Armagh. We've a few who go to Lismore and are very good footballers, Lismore isn't a good sporting school to get the best out of them though. 

I heard it was going to be around 1200 in the new school, not 2000? That will be fun trying to past Cornakinegar and Kilwilkie in the morning.

Yesterday was brilliant and it really has given the town and surrounding areas a real buzz. Lurgan is a Gaelic football mad town and it's about time they were competing for and winning McCrorys.

general_lee

Great achievement by St Ronans. I'm not sure though how long they can continue at this level in the immediate future (maybe someone in the know can correct me) but this current squad is backboned by last year's Armagh minor winners and last years antrim minor finalists. All players from a 6 mile radius between 9 clubs.

As for pupils going to Newry... Can't see too many wanting to go St Colmans for a variety of reasons of late. With St Paul's Bessbrook also playing McRory, Castlewellan, and St Ronans etc the days of St Colmans attracting players from south and north Armagh, east Down could well be over.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: lurganblue on March 20, 2018, 12:08:16 PM

I only know of people who left the town to go to either St Colmans or St Pats.  With St Ronan's now declaring themselves as a grammar it means that kids joining either St Colmans or St Pats wont get free travel like they used too. That will be the main impact on the ability of parents to send their kids to other schools.

Free travel is now gone for a third year. Is a place in Colman's over St Ronan's worth £50 a month for the bus?

Orior

Quote from: general_lee on March 20, 2018, 01:32:24 PM
Great achievement by St Ronans. I'm not sure though how long they can continue at this level in the immediate future (maybe someone in the know can correct me) but this current squad is backboned by last year's Armagh minor winners and last years antrim minor finalists. All players from a 6 mile radius between 9 clubs.

As for pupils going to Newry... Can't see too many wanting to go St Colmans for a variety of reasons of late. With St Paul's Bessbrook also playing McRory, Castlewellan, and St Ronans etc the days of St Colmans attracting players from south and north Armagh, east Down could well be over.

Maybe its time to close the Abbey and have them merge into St Colmans :-)
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

illdecide

Maybe the tables will turn and the Newry & South Armagh lads will bus it to Lurgan to St Ronan's for their football and education... :P
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

armaghniac

Well it obviously wasn't education.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

lurganblue

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on March 20, 2018, 08:39:00 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on March 20, 2018, 12:08:16 PM

Free travel is now gone for a third year. Is a place in Colman's over St Ronan's worth £50 a month for the bus?

Education wise it probably is aye; if it can be afforded.

Will the St Pats merge with St Brigids bring a similar footballing success?

Ethan Tremblay

Possibly as it will give students more of a chance of going to University and entice them to stay on for  A-Levels, previously the majority of students from St Brigids would have went into trades/ quit education at 16, very few would have went to St Pats.  The amount of quality players form the Armagh area who miss out on McRory football because their education isn't t up to scratch is shocking. 

Not saying they will be automatically be contesting McRory cups year in year out, but you would expect the standard to be raised now the the catch net of available players available has been widened.   
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

NAG1

Does anybody care that it was absolute dross and hard to watch? Mirroring the way the senior game is going lately.