FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Quote from: An Watcher on October 12, 2019, 08:49:10 PM
Two draws and we'll be third and gone
We have the playoff spot guaranteed anyway though don't we?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

An Watcher

Don't think there's a play off spot for third. Play offs come via the nations league I think but not sure how we're fixed in those

An Watcher

Denmark 15,
Switzerland 14
Ireland 12

The real group with Irelands two games against Denmark and Swiss to come. I think this is correct

BennyCake

Ireland have to beat either Denmark or the Swiss to have a hope. If they can't beat either, they don't deserve to be there.

seafoid

Switzerland have been playing well and then conceding goals in the last few minutes for a few big matches in a row.

3-1 up at home against Denmark and conceded goals in the 88th and 93rd minute

1 nil up at home against the BIG and McGoldrick scores in the 85th minute

Nil all and Denmark score in the 84th minute

Ireland are fond of late goals.
It looks like 2 bald men fighting over a comb

Crete Boom

I would like to see Mick start Josh cullen instead of Whelan against the Swiss.

Itchy

McCarthys interviews in the paper are absolutely bizarre this morning. His logic of how he approached this game are idiotic. He had 3 games left

Georgia (4th seeds) away
Switzerland (2nd seeds) away
Denmark (1st seeds) home

Anyone with half a brain would target the 4th seeds for the 3 points but not Mick. He pretty much said he played Collins because he can defend corners and frees (Georgia are well known set piece experts). He puts Glen Whelan in who offers nothing on the ball and basically tells everyone else a draw is a good result. Now in the media this morning he is saying the same - 4 points against Georgia are good.

Yet now we are left having to beat either Switzerland or Denmark. If we had beaten Georgia, 2 draws would probably have been enough. I cant understand that man.

David McKeown

In the event of two teams being level on points what's the tie breaker?  If it's head to head do away goals count?  Ireland could beat Denmark and still miss out I think. Makes the Georgia result very poor.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

An Watcher

Beat Denmark and we're through on head to head as we drew with them out there

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Itchy on October 13, 2019, 03:56:30 PM
McCarthys interviews in the paper are absolutely bizarre this morning.
His press over the last couple of months has been bizarre full stop. I get he is out on his arse soon regardless and doesn't need to play the game. But still.

seafoid

They need a win against either Switz or Denmark to qualify.
They wouldn't deserve to qualify otherwise with 3 wins against Georgia and Gibraltar and 3 draws.

Itchy

Quote from: seafoid on October 13, 2019, 06:44:56 PM
They wouldn't deserve to qualify otherwise with 3 wins against Georgia and Gibraltar and 3 draws.

If they would have beaten Georgia and drawn with Denmark and Switzerland twice then they would have been 2nd and in a league if you come 2nd you deserve to be 2nd.

seafoid

Quote from: Itchy on October 13, 2019, 07:05:29 PM
Quote from: seafoid on October 13, 2019, 06:44:56 PM

If they would have beaten Georgia and drawn with Denmark and Switzerland twice then they would have been 2nd and in a league if you come 2nd you deserve to be 2nd.
Unfortunately they didn't .
They could beat Switzerland with a jammy last minute goal from a long ball.
Switzerland have a problem conceding last minute goals.

lurganblue

I'd be amazed if Ireland got something away to the Swiss but strange things do happen.  I think we saw enough to know Connolly should be starting the next game.  I don't think we should persist with McClean either but I doubt that will change.