The Wire (tv drama)

Started by Main Street, October 18, 2008, 12:35:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Events in Austria show how The Wire will always be relevant.

Dinny Breen

That shit is fucked up!

People in Kildare whinging about Syrian refugees moving into the old Hazel Hotel in Monasterevin, I really despair at times. Irish people just don't get how lucky they really are.  :(
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

The Hazel hotel used to be where the old Country and Western nights were wasn't it?  Why is it in this thread though? :)

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 28, 2015, 12:56:26 PM
The Hazel hotel used to be where the old Country and Western nights were wasn't it?  Why is it in this thread though? :)

Made my Debs there, happy memories :)

Season 2 of the Wire had a Human Trafficking sub-plot.
#newbridgeornowhere

Minder

Both types of music ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Minder on August 28, 2015, 01:04:51 PM

Both types of music ?
;D Bob's Country Bunker?

deiseach

Season 2 is my favourite. It suffers dramatically from a constant need to shoehorn McNulty into the plot - I'm certain him being stuck on a boat at the end of Season 1 was born out of a belief they would not get renewed. But the grand theme, about the decline of organised labo(u)r and the desperate measures taken by one of their number in response to that, with its evil consequences which so horribly foreshadow the events in Austria this week, spoke loudest to me.

Right, my wife has been sniping at me for ages that we don't watch enough television together in those oh-so-precious minutes between putting the little man to bed and heading off ourselves. I know she's willing to watch this. Time to get on my arse and dust off the box set.

Aristo 60

Season II was my least favourite and the only one I haven't gone back on to watch over again and again. I might give it another go on your recommendation.

deiseach

thewobbler

Have to agree Deiseach.

On first viewing I wasn't a fan of series 2; Ziggy drove me mad, and I missed the brothers. But almost everything that takes place after that in the Wire can be traced back to the docks. it's now the season I turn to most for my occasional Wire binges. 

I'd also suggest that if McNulty wasn't shoehorned into the plot of often, then the rest of the series wouldn't have worked so well. His cause-and-effect personality and the semi-retirement with Beadie needed a start point.

Dinny Breen

It was my least favourite season too but have just watched it again it was fantastic and as TheWobbler says lays down the foundation for 3,4 and 5. Definitely watch it again.
#newbridgeornowhere

gallsman

I think nobody was overly fond of 2 as they watched it for the first time but once you realise how vital it is to the overall plot of the show, you appreciate it more.

AZOffaly

I enjoyed season 2. I actually got bored of it in Season 4.

gallsman

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 28, 2015, 02:25:48 PM
I enjoyed season 2. I actually got bored of it in Season 4.

f**k off work your blasphemy! S4 was the best one!

AZOffaly

Maybe I just binged out too much. I eventually got sick of the same old wire taps, drugs blah blah blah.