'GAA Athletes for a No Vote'

Started by Jinxy, April 21, 2018, 08:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Tubberman on May 02, 2018, 09:52:05 AM
Quote from: Therealdonald on May 01, 2018, 08:52:48 PM
I'd imagine most men are off the same opinion as myself...it's a woman's body, let the women vote and decide what to do. What i don't understand is why players from the occupied six are putting in their tuppence when we can't vote in it.

But it's not just the woman's body. It's also some man's unborn child - some men mightn't know about it, some mightn't care, some might want it aborted, and some might be very happy at the prospect of having the child.
It's not just a woman's body issue as if it was a boob job ffs.
+1

sid waddell

Quote from: Owenmoresider on May 02, 2018, 10:31:24 AM
I'd imagine most men are off the same opinion as myself...it's a woman's body, let the women vote and decide what to do. What i don't understand is why players from the occupied six are putting in their tuppence when we can't vote in it.

But it's not just the woman's body. It's also some man's unborn child - some men mightn't know about it, some mightn't care, some might want it aborted, and some might be very happy at the prospect of having the child.
+1
Ultimately, yes, it is a woman's body issue.

What you're saying is that if a woman does not want a foetus in her womb, she should have no say over the matter and be forced to carry the pregnancy to term.

Jinxy

GAA players call for 'No' vote in abortion referendum

The latest video blurs logos of sponsors on the GAA sports clothing worn by those who appear in the video. A spokesman for the group said the logos were blurred "to avoid potential opposition leading to a sidetracked debate".

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2018/05/02/news/gaa-players-call-for-no-vote-in-abortion-referendum-1318772/

Quick question, Paddy Burns and Aidan Forker are wearing their GPS vests in the video.
Did they record this at an Armagh training session?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

BennyCake

Quote from: sid waddell on May 02, 2018, 10:11:32 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 02, 2018, 08:45:49 AM
Quote from: Hound on May 02, 2018, 07:30:37 AM
I know this doesn't relate to you as you can't vote anyway, but that's a few times now people have said 'let the women vote and decide what to do', meaning they're not going to vote.

That would only make sense if no men voted, but the Mickey Harte types and the Eamon McGee types are all going to vote, so that makes that strategy a load of balls.

Now of course, rightly or wrongly, we have the right not to vote and people can choose not to exercise it. But if your view is that women should decide this, then you should ask the women closest to you how they are going to vote, and then vote accordingly.

I think it's ridiculous to say that men shouldn't vote. It takes two to make a pregnancy, and in the majority of cases there are will be two people involved in raising the child. If it goes to term, the baby will be some man's son or daughter. If the decision is made to terminate the pregnancy, in a lot of cases a man's input will also be a factor.
If a woman and a man come to a conultative, agreed decision about what to do with a pregnancy, great.

But if they don't, why should a man be able to tell a woman that she must carry his foetus to full term?

He isn't carrying it, she is.

So ultimately, it should always be the woman's decision.

Why should a woman be able to tell a man that she's not going to carry his baby to full term? There's two people involved in a pregnancy.

sid waddell

Quote from: BennyCake on May 02, 2018, 11:19:00 AM

Why should a woman be able to tell a man that she's not going to carry his baby to full term?
Have you read this sentence back to yourself?

Have you checked what century it is?

BennyCake

Quote from: sid waddell on May 02, 2018, 11:28:00 AM

Why should a woman be able to tell a man that she's not going to carry his baby to full term?

It's the 21st century. And in the 16th century, there were still two people involved in a pregnancy. Nothing has changed and it won't change.

sid waddell

Quote from: BennyCake on May 02, 2018, 12:13:19 PM

It's the 21st century. And in the 16th century, there were still two people involved in a pregnancy. Nothing has changed and it won't change.
It is indeed the 21st century.

But clearly not for you, given that you believe that women should have to answer to men about whether they want to carry a pregnancy to full term or not.

By all means continue to live in your 16th century fantasy world if that's what you really want.

But there's a real world going on around you. It would be much better for you to try to live in it.

Tubberman

Quote from: sid waddell on May 02, 2018, 11:03:39 AM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on May 02, 2018, 10:31:24 AM

+1
Ultimately, yes, it is a woman's body issue.

What you're saying is that if a woman does not want a foetus in her womb, she should have no say over the matter and be forced to carry the pregnancy to term.

Where did I say that?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

BennyCake

Quote from: sid waddell on May 02, 2018, 12:30:47 PM

But clearly not for you, given that you believe that women should have to answer to men about whether they want to carry a pregnancy to full term or not.

By all means continue to live in your 16th century fantasy world if that's what you really want.

But there's a real world going on around you. It would be much better for you to try to live in it.

You make it sound like "what the man says, goes". That's not what I was implying.

Regardless, if a woman aborts a child off her own bat, she's a murderer. If the man and woman agree to abort, they're both murderers. That's how I see it.

Jinxy

Can we please stay on topic and not start this again?
Take it to facebook/twitter.

easytiger95

Wow, I watched that video, and it really stuck in my craw.

Why should I take advice on a grave social issue from lads whose only claim to fame is having fairly decent hand to eye coordination and athletic builds?

The GAA is a sporting association and these lads are good at playing games - I wouldn't be asking them to perform brain surgery the next time I need it.

The entitlement of it. I want my GAA players to take scores and burst opponents. After that I can take them or leave them. Whether they were advocating a Yes or a No, they are doing it by leveraging the very organisation that gave them the profile they are abusing. I don't care what they do or say as private citizens.

They can rev up and f$%k off as far as I am concerned.

Jinxy

I think the people pulling the strings of the 'No' campaign realise that their biggest difficulty is engaging with young people on this issue.
You're not going to get musicians or sports stars to back you, and young people have relatively little or no truck with the Church, so the only people that would 'speak' to that younger demographic are sports people.
If you were a young lad who was largely indifferent to the issue and as a result unlikely to vote, maybe someone like Peter Harte might sway you.
If there was an equivalent group advocating for a 'Yes' vote, they would probably be equally likely to sway you.
This isn't about changing anyone's mind, it's about getting people to vote who aren't that pushed either way.

longballin

Quote from: easytiger95 on May 02, 2018, 04:21:27 PM

Why should I take advice on a grave social issue from lads whose only claim to fame is having fairly decent hand to eye coordination and athletic builds?

The GAA is a sporting association and these lads are good at playing games - I wouldn't be asking them to perform brain surgery the next time I need it.

The entitlement of it. I want my GAA players to take scores and burst opponents. After that I can take them or leave them. Whether they were advocating a Yes or a No, they are doing it by leveraging the very organisation that gave them the profile they are abusing. I don't care what they do or say as private citizens.

Agreed. Shameful carry-on.

AZOffaly

Quote from: longballin on May 02, 2018, 04:54:02 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on May 02, 2018, 04:21:27 PM

Agreed. Shameful carry-on.

Agreed. And I feel the same way about actors, musicians and journalists. Why should I give a f**k what some lad in ER says about politics?

sid waddell

Quote from: BennyCake on May 02, 2018, 12:42:32 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on May 02, 2018, 12:30:47 PM

You make it sound like "what the man says, goes". That's not what I was implying.

Regardless, if a woman aborts a child off her own bat, she's a murderer. If the man and woman agree to abort, they're both murderers. That's how I see it.
That's exactly what you were implying.

Given that you say women who have abortions are murderers, would you like to see the bans on travel and access to information about abortion to be re-implemented?

Do you believe women who take the morning after pill should be imprisoned for 14 years?