Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haranguerer

Quote from: Insane Bolt on December 10, 2018, 06:59:07 AM
Quote from: NetNitrate on December 10, 2018, 02:15:15 AM
Quote from: Insane Bolt on December 09, 2018, 08:56:26 PM
MP's salaries have gone up from 65,000(2010) to 77,000(2018)...... how's that for austerity?
It never ceases to amaze me that the general public in the UK roll over and take it.....same in Ireland.....whereas in France there are multiple demonstrations. The sooner people realise that the French way is the only way we are going to see change the better.

That's not a very high salary. Most 23 year olds on their first job in top cities in US would make that. But they work hard unlike the French who like their short working weeks. The French way will never work - just results in a stagnant economy based on protectionism. They have been rioting for decades and things just getting worse.

The point I was making is that whilst the general public have had to accept pay cuts, cut backs in services etc......those that make these decisions carry on feeding from the trough. In salary terms....a nurse earns from 25,000 up after training.....the lifeblood of the NHS.....so who is more valuable to society?

This argument.... ::) Politicians are an obvious and easy target, and in fairness the criticism is usually justified. But if they're overpaid and get money for nothing etc, why don't you (or the nurses for that matter) go and do it?

Insane Bolt

Quote from: haranguerer on December 10, 2018, 09:34:01 AM
MP's salaries have gone up from 65,000(2010) to 77,000(2018)...... how's that for austerity?
It never ceases to amaze me that the general public in the UK roll over and take it.....same in Ireland.....whereas in France there are multiple demonstrations. The sooner people realise that the French way is the only way we are going to see change the better.

That's not a very high salary. Most 23 year olds on their first job in top cities in US would make that. But they work hard unlike the French who like their short working weeks. The French way will never work - just results in a stagnant economy based on protectionism. They have been rioting for decades and things just getting worse.

The point I was making is that whilst the general public have had to accept pay cuts, cut backs in services etc......those that make these decisions carry on feeding from the trough. In salary terms....a nurse earns from 25,000 up after training.....the lifeblood of the NHS.....so who is more valuable to society?

This argument.... ::) Politicians are an obvious and easy target, and in fairness the criticism is usually justified. But if they're overpaid and get money for nothing etc, why don't you (or the nurses for that matter) go and do it?

What a childish response.

Insane Bolt

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on December 10, 2018, 09:46:52 AM

Funnily enough, I went to the Bank of England's UK inflation calculator - according to them £65k in 2010 would be an equivalent worth in 2017 of £79,232. Not going to say that this is good or bad, but getting £77k in 2017 means that in real terms they're actually earning less that themselves or their predecessors in 2010.
https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/inflation/inflation-calculator

How would nurses salaries compare then?

haranguerer

Quote from: Insane Bolt on December 10, 2018, 10:25:05 AM

What a childish response.

You're regurgitating the sort of populist shite that pollutes social media, and you say my response is childish?  ;D

Perhaps you should think about the calibre of people you'd like to have running the country, the interaction between that and the salary offered for the job, and also consider the impact of supply and demand. Basically, learn to think for yourself.

Chicago Hurling

Having been a 23yr old in the US with a college degree that lived in a major city I can say this is false. I was in sales that's 30-40base with bonuses, roommate in finance was at 45, his girlfriend was accounting making 55, another roommate at 40 in advertising. The person I knew who was making the most (without a Masters) was in consulting and that was 75k or about 59k in pounds.
Chicago -> Milwaukee -> Galway

Mayo for Sam

trailer

Big week for Brexit coming up. Regardless of what MPs are paid, this last few weeks have proved that they have spectacularly mis-judged the UKs negotiating hand. The Government is utterly incompetent and the party of Government are so utterly divided that there now at this juncture, appears to be no way forward for any outcome. Leaving only a No Deal Brexit by default.

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

screenexile

Vote's getting pulled (unofficially of course but should be confirmed soon)

What the f**k happens now?? No confidence vote? If she goes back to Brussels she'll be told to whistle. Surely it's a GE or a another referendum?

seafoid

Nobody knows. Tories won't want a GE.
Whatever way you look at it it is a total mess.

Very poor stick work by the Tories Marty and the first touch is desperate.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

trailer

Quote from: screenexile on December 10, 2018, 12:05:09 PM

What the f**k happens now?? No confidence vote? If she goes back to Brussels she'll be told to whistle. Surely it's a GE or a another referendum?

Confirmed it's off.
I think she has 21 days to come back to Parliament with an alternative. Not exactly sure.

Insane Bolt

Quote from: trailer on December 10, 2018, 12:21:39 PM

Confirmed it's off.
I think she has 21 days to come back to Parliament with an alternative. Not exactly sure.

Not sure where she goes from here. I honestly think that a GE won't solve anything, and that a second referendum would deliver more or less the same result.

screenexile

Quote from: Insane Bolt on December 10, 2018, 12:27:11 PM
Quote from: trailer on December 10, 2018, 12:21:39 PM

Confirmed it's off.

Not sure where she goes from here. I honestly think that a GE won't solve anything, and that a second referendum would deliver more or less the same result.

I agree . . . if the vote was a simple no deal/remain again I think remain would win by about 10% but if you're having nodeal/deal/remain then you'll be splitting the remain vote bigtime and there's every chance we crash out!!!

easytiger95

I actually thinks that splits the Brexit vote - no deal or May's deal are both brexits as such - the Remain vote will be the same (or even larger than the original ballot)

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: easytiger95 on December 10, 2018, 12:33:50 PM
I actually thinks that splits the Brexit vote - no deal or May's deal are both brexits as such - the Remain vote will be the same (or even larger than the original ballot)
Remain might be 55% now
Still not big enough to be decisive
The country is polarised. It's like northern Ireland !
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU