The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

Quote from: Dolph1 on February 20, 2019, 05:16:38 PM
Could be a more-hands on President than Bill Clinton.

Sure you have to be a rapist to get elected in US. It is a pre-requisite apparently.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: LeoMc on February 20, 2019, 04:26:51 PMThe over 60's have a much smaller stake in the future which could lead to short term populism.

Its a valid point; however I believe in the subsection of over 60s that would be suitably qualified for the role, you'd tend to find those people have grown out of being worried about the small things (like gaining personal wealth) and are more philanthropic in nature as they know they are personally OK for the rest of their life.

Like say Bill Gates - took no prisoners when in charge of Microsoft. But now, no longer interested in accruing more wealth - instead looking to better the world.

Trailer talks about over 60s being racists as a reason - which completely misses the kind of person who I'd be looking at to lead a country. Its not some f**ker from eton who is still reliving the great war when good old blighty showed the hun who was boss - its gonna be someone who has ran a company (well) with annual turnovers in the millions, whose employees were delighted with the work they did as boss, who has worked with and in many countries, is considered a world leader in their chosen field but yet a knowledgeable soundbar across a broad spectrum of issues.

I'm not talking about a f**king politican. Anyone who applied for the job would be barred from having it. Instead a panel made up of leading figures across industry, academia and civics would draw up a shortlist for a cabinet, then go approach and interview potentials who would be willing to take on the task for a set period of (say) 4 years. The cabinet would then be formed from folks who are experts in the respective fields of the cabinet.

The public would be asked via polls every 4 years what they wanted:
1. increased/decreased taxes
2. increased/decreased proportion of spend on each of following areas:
(a) healthcare
(b) civics
(c) defence
(d) education
(e) foreign aid
(f) environment
(g) etc
(h) etc

The cabinet would then do their level best to deliver on what the people want. If the people don't want to pay any taxes, then they will get the reduction in quality of services they ask for.

It'd be a system of government that would deliver long term stability, less populism and actually put people qualified for the role into government. What the f**k does some tory c**t from eton who has "read history" know about delivering healthcare? Or transport networks? Or industry development?
i usse an speelchekor

screenexile

You OK there Adolph your boy Tucker took a hiding last night... this is brilliant!!

https://twitter.com/jordanuhl/status/1098282958828593152?s=21

lynchbhoy

screenexile

Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 21, 2019, 08:54:22 AM
Quote from: screenexile on February 20, 2019, 10:27:01 PM
You OK there Adolph your boy Tucker took a hiding last night... this is brilliant!!

Who is Adolph?

This douchebag!!!

Quote from: Dolph1 on February 19, 2019, 06:00:42 PM
Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on February 15, 2019, 08:37:41 PM
Kap and the NFL settle out of court, how much you think he's getting? has to be close to 100 milly i would think.

Unreal that he's getting any money for not being good enough to start at a team.

His actions made him toxic. If I acted the c*** at work I don't expect that my employers would want keep me and I wouldn't expect to get a huge payoff from other companies who refused to hire me because of my reputation.

There is only one reason they are giving him money and it's not for his skills.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: screenexile on February 21, 2019, 10:50:36 AM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 21, 2019, 08:54:22 AM
Quote from: screenexile on February 20, 2019, 10:27:01 PM

Who is Adolph?

This douchebag!!!

Quote from: Dolph1 on February 19, 2019, 06:00:42 PM
Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on February 15, 2019, 08:37:41 PM
Kap and the NFL settle out of court, how much you think he's getting? has to be close to 100 milly i would think.

Unreal that he's getting any money for not being good enough to start at a team.

His actions made him toxic. If I acted the c*** at work I don't expect that my employers would want keep me and I wouldn't expect to get a huge payoff from other companies who refused to hire me because of my reputation.

There is only one reason they are giving him money and it's not for his skills.
Ok
If you are a kaperneck fan , well he painted himself into that corner and I have no sympathy for him for bringing that into American football sporting arenas.

I'd think you are smarter than getting influenced in a schoolyard name calling squabble. The guy Dollph  ( I'm guessing he's either a dolph lundgren or Johan mjallby fan) has his opinions, which seem to be unpalatable to a few .. but  it's o my op I ion and only the I ternet.
Cest la vie.
None of th erm are fully right or wrong. ... only the schoolboy bulky boy mentality reminds me of orange/unonist/loyalist bully boys and their behaviour of yesteryear. That's rather overturning.

Gabriel_Hurl

Eamonnca1

QuoteIf you are a kaperneck fan , well he painted himself into that corner and I have no sympathy for him for bringing that into American football sporting arenas.

Kaperneck brought politics into the NFL? Are you for real?

"As recently as 2015, the Department of Defense was doling out millions to the NFL for such things as military flyovers, flag unfurlings, emotional color guard ceremonies, enlistment campaigns, and — interestingly enough — national anthem performances. Additionally, according to Vice, the NFL's policy on players standing for the national anthem also changed in 2009, with athletes "encouraged" thereafter to participate. Prior to that, teams were not given any specific instructions on the matter; some chose to remain in the locker room until after opening ceremonies were completed. (It's unclear whether the policy change was implemented as a direct result of any Defense Department contracts.)"

How the NFL sold patriotism to the U.S. military for millions

Eamonnca1

An oldie but a goodie:

'In 2017, the FBI concluded that white supremacists killed more Americans from 2000 to 2016 than "any other domestic extremist movement." Donald Trump's administration is hobbling programs designed to counteract them. (from 2018)'

http://on.theatln.tc/wS5s3Xy

The Wall looks more ridiculous with every passing day. The real threat to Americans is not from brown-skinned people crossing the border on foot, but from the very people who champion the sinister cause of Trump.

Gmac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 21, 2019, 08:30:32 PM
An oldie but a goodie:

'In 2017, the FBI concluded that white supremacists killed more Americans from 2000 to 2016 than "any other domestic extremist movement." Donald Trump's administration is hobbling programs designed to counteract them. (from 2018)'

The Wall looks more ridiculous with every passing day. The real threat to Americans is not from brown-skinned people crossing the border on foot, but from the very people who champion the sinister cause of Trump.
should anyone who wants to come here be able to get to Mexico and just walk across the border eamon ?

mrdeeds

Quote from: Gmac on February 21, 2019, 08:43:17 PM
An oldie but a goodie:

should anyone who wants to come here be able to get to Mexico and just walk across the border eamon ?

Are you saying Mexicans just walk across the boarder? Just walk from one side to the other? Just walk?

Eamonnca1

1 - Most people who stay illegally in the US came in legally through ports of entry, mostly airports, and overstayed their visas. Don't tell Trump about aviation or he'll be asking for funds to build a roof.
2 - Net migration from Mexico is in negative numbers. More people are going back than coming in.
3 - If all undocumented people went back, wiping 30 million off the population,  the economy of this country would collapse. Fruit is already rotting in the fields for lack of pickers as we speak.
4 - The "go to the back of the line" crowd doesn't seem to realize that there's no line to go to the back of. Legal immigration to the US has been made all but impossible, it stands to reason that illegal immigration would take its place.
5 - It wasn't so long ago that "anyone who wanted to come here" could just do so. God knows the Irish were well able to take advantage of that, which I don't see many people here complaining about.  The idea that a government should have absolute control over who crosses its borders is a very recent idea. 
6 - It's a known fact that immigrants are less likely to commit crimes and more likely to start businesses than people born here.  The "immigrant threat" is a myth. The kind of people you really need to be scared of are the ones attending Trump rallies and stockpiling guns.

So to answer your question, I'm all in favor of open borders with only the bare minimum restrictions such as a background check.

Gmac

Quote from: mrdeeds on February 21, 2019, 09:17:54 PM
Quote from: Gmac on February 21, 2019, 08:43:17 PM
An oldie but a goodie:

Are you saying Mexicans just walk across the boarder? Just walk from one side to the other? Just walk?
no they fly ,  drive , swim , tunnel and run also

dec

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 21, 2019, 09:28:40 PM
1 - Most people who stay illegally in the US came in legally through ports of entry, mostly airports, and overstayed their visas. Don't tell Trump about aviation or he'll be asking for funds to build a roof.

And the reason they stay illegally is that employers are willing to break the law by employing them illegally.

For example, something called "The Trump Organization" has been employing people illegally in at least five different locations. https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/428470-trump-organization-fires-at-least-18-undocumented-workers-report

We need to send a message to employers who do this by finding out who owns this criminal organization and lock him up.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: dec on February 21, 2019, 10:02:41 PM
And the reason they stay illegally is that employers are willing to break the law by employing them illegally.

And the reason employers employ them is because these are workers that are needed. This is the free market at work. Labour is subject to supply and demand too. There is a demand for labour, and no amount of over-the-top restrictions on immigration is going to stop that. If Americans won't do the work, someone else will even if it means overstaying a tourist visa.

Trying to resist that is like sitting on a throne on the shore and ordering the tide to go back out. King Canute was wise enough to prove that that would never work.

And as you rightly point out, even Trump needs undocumented workers, which is why his hypocrisy on this topic is scaling new heights.