The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: Dolph1 on January 03, 2019, 01:34:44 PM
If you want LOL check out Elizabeth Warren drinking a beer on live chat while announcing plans to run in 2020.

Some wisecrack stated that the beer is 1/1024th alcohol. Just as weak as her presidential ambition.

"Hold on a second, I'm gonna get me a beer" she said. What a fcking cringefest. Democrats are down with the people.

Trump 2020.

Yes, the Trump 2020 platform...

Corporations... not people!
Clean air and water, public health concerns... cancer, asthma, heavy metal poisoning, bioaccumulation of toxins... they're all liberal lies.
Standing up against dictatorial thugs around the world... f**k that and f**k US allies!
Climate change... more liberal lies, except promoted by China.
Wild lands and species... do we really need them?
Women... grab 'em by the pussy!
White christians... watch out, the muslim, Latino, transgender hordes are massing as we speak and are coming for you!
The wall... four years of unAmerican, communist, Democratic control of congress have stalled us, but Mexico WILL PAY FOR IT!
The GOP... you will kneel before Donald!

J70

Quote from: Dolph1 on January 03, 2019, 06:48:26 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 03, 2019, 06:34:02 PM
Quote from: Dolph1 on January 03, 2019, 12:02:22 PM
Facebook are banning people on their platform who call cop killer Gustavo Arriaga an "illegal immigrant". This label in their minds is hate speech.

Good to see they have their priorities straight.
https://abcstlouis.com/news/nation-world/is-facebook-censoring-those-who-use-terms-illegal-immigrant-or-illegal-alien-in-posts

Indeed. Facebook is a leader in the fight against Russian disinformation campaigns and right wing racist bullshit.

Oh, wait...

It's cute how you think that a few grands worth of Russian facebook ads swung an election. Even a little naïve.

I guess if you're clutching at straws for something to lay blame and justify it in your own head. I find it hillaryous.

I don't see anything anywhere in my post commenting on the roll of Russian trolls in the election.

Just pointing out the obvious problem with your hyping up of the supposed actions of Facebook on the use of the phrase "illegal immigrants".

Dolph1

Quote from: J70 on January 03, 2019, 06:51:50 PM
Facebook are banning people on their platform who call cop killer Gustavo Arriaga an "illegal immigrant". This label in their minds is hate speech.

https://abcstlouis.com/news/nation-world/is-facebook-censoring-those-who-use-terms-illegal-immigrant-or-illegal-alien-in-posts

Indeed. Facebook is a leader in the fight against Russian disinformation campaigns and right wing racist bullshit.

Oh, wait...

It's cute how you think that a few grands worth of Russian facebook ads swung an election. Even a little naïve.

I guess if you're clutching at straws for something to lay blame and justify it in your own head. I find it hillaryous.

I don't see anything anywhere in my post commenting on the roll of Russian trolls in the election.

Just pointing out the obvious problem with your hyping up of the supposed actions of Facebook on the use of the phrase "illegal immigrants".

From ABC - lefty media source - You know it has to be pretty bad when they're actually admitting to it.

The speech police are out and attempting to stop people from using certain language and phrases. I'd love you to say that isn't the case J70. Just so we have that on record.
Trump 2020. Making America Greater Again

Eamonnca1

When we take back the White House and Senate in 2020 we'll need to expand the Supreme Court and put two more liberal justices on there to counteract the two illegitimate ones put there by Trump, and when RBG retires we need to get someone nice and young in there to replace her. Then change the rules to cap the size of the bench, followed by term limits for any subsequent appointees. Repukelicans wouldn't bat an eyelid about doing the same. It's time Dems got the sword out and fought back against this tyrannical rule of the minority.

J70

Quote from: Dolph1 on January 03, 2019, 07:03:17 PM

Oh, wait...

From ABC - lefty media source - You know it has to be pretty bad when they're actually admitting to it.

The speech police are out and attempting to stop people from using certain language and phrases. I'd love you to say that isn't the case J70. Just so we have that on record.

Go ahead and provide evidence that this local ABC station is a "lefty media source".

We have WABC radio in NYC. You know what they carry? Wall-to-wall right wing talk radio.

Sinclair media own a large share of local tv stations all over the US, whatever national badge they happen to be using for their main programming and national news telecasts.

So pardon me for my skepticism of your claim.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on January 03, 2019, 06:39:43 PM
Quote from: whitey on January 03, 2019, 01:04:30 PM
LOL

Former head honcho at NY Times has some interesting insight

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/jan/2/jill-abramson-ex-new-york-times-editor-rips-papers/

Don't say I didn't tell you

Does this mean we can look forward to actual concrete examples of biased stories from you for a change?

The only thing that seems to exercise you about US politics is the supposed unfair deal Trump, the GOP and conservatives in general receive from the press, in your perception. You certainly don't spend much time arguing for their actual conduct or policies.

Eh....did you bother reading the link?

I'm a right wing nut job when I point out the bias against the conservatives and here you have the former editor completely agreeing with me

Any decent middle of the road Republicans such as Romney got a$$ fvcked by the NYT. Complete character assassination

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2016/09/01/opinion/campaign-stops/crying-wolf-then-confronting-trump.amp.html

dec

Quote from: J70 on January 03, 2019, 08:00:20 PM

Oh, wait...

Go ahead and provide evidence that this local ABC station is a "lefty media source".

We have WABC radio in NYC. You know what they carry? Wall-to-wall right wing talk radio.

Sinclair media own a large share of local tv stations all over the US, whatever national badge they happen to be using for their main programming and national news telecasts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDNL-TV

KDNL-TV, virtual channel 30 (UHF digital channel 31), is an ABC-affiliated television station licensed to St. Louis, Missouri, United States. The station is owned by the Sinclair Broadcast Group.

Dolph1

Oh, wait...

We've already seen a cleansing of speech on MSM and advocation of banning so called hate speech.
Getting back to what I was saying j70. What's your actual take on the speech police attempting to stop people from using certain language and phrases. I'd love you to say that isn't the case J70. Just so we have that on record.

Eamonnca1

Read Dolph's posts in the voice of the Emperor from Star Wars. It fits in so well.

Yup, it's Foxkkk all right.

Turf him out.

J70

Quote from: dec on January 03, 2019, 08:55:21 PM

Oh, wait...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDNL-TV

KDNL-TV, virtual channel 30 (UHF digital channel 31), is an ABC-affiliated television station licensed to St. Louis, Missouri, United States. The station is owned by the Sinclair Broadcast Group.

Dolph1/Foxcommander in "shooting his mouth off when he doesn't know wtf he's talking about" shocker.

Not hard to see why he admires Trump. Kindred spirits in the pursuit of ignorance and distraction.

J70

Quote from: Dolph1 on January 03, 2019, 09:19:31 PM

Oh, wait...

We've already seen a cleansing of speech on MSM and advocation of banning so called hate speech.
Getting back to what I was saying j70. What's your actual take on the speech police attempting to stop people from using certain language and phrases. I'd love you to say that isn't the case J70. Just so we have that on record.

I remember Foxcommander getting all upset that only black people were allowed to get away with using the n-word. Apparently he felt slighted and cheated by that.

But, to answer your specific question, it depends on the circumstances and the words/phrases in question. In general, I'm all for letting Neanderthals and bigots shoot their mouths off. Makes it much easier to identify them and expose their brain-dead ideas to logic and ridicule. A bit like dealing with the half-baked horse shit you yourself come out with here. However, I don't have a problem with proscribing speech which advocates and incites violence towards people based on their membership of some group, whether race or religion or sexual orientation or whatever.

On the case in question, IF its true, I think whatever Facebook person or people or policy would outlaw the use of the label "illegal immigrant" needs to be rethought. There's nothing whatsoever wrong with that factual description (but I'm only talking about those words, not the photo meme).

However, the meme in question was idiotic and childish. It equated "legal immigration" with protector and 'illegal immigrant" with murderer, as if the two were synonymous. The two labels could easily be reversed using some other combination of people (when it would be equally idiotic). We could find one of those right wing morons who murdered Jews or Muslims and have "white male" and "murderer" on his picture, basically claiming that white males in general are well disposed towards mass murder of innocent victims. Whether such a meme should be banned, I'm not sure. Once again, it would take a schoolkid level of argument to refute it, although its also about the level of sophistication that you hear out of Trump in terms of rhetoric, so maybe I'm being too complacent in terms of combating it.

Dolph1

Quote from: J70 on January 04, 2019, 02:00:26 AM
Quote from: Dolph1 on January 03, 2019, 09:19:31 PM

Oh, wait...

I remember Foxcommander getting all upset that only black people were allowed to get away with using the n-word. Apparently he felt slighted and cheated by that.

But, to answer your specific question, it depends on the circumstances and the words/phrases in question. In general, I'm all for letting Neanderthals and bigots shoot their mouths off. Makes it much easier to identify them and expose their brain-dead ideas to logic and ridicule. A bit like dealing with the half-baked horse shit you yourself come out with here. However, I don't have a problem with proscribing speech which advocates and incites violence towards people based on their membership of some group, whether race or religion or sexual orientation or whatever.

On the case in question, IF its true, I think whatever Facebook person or people or policy would outlaw the use of the label "illegal immigrant" needs to be rethought. There's nothing whatsoever wrong with that factual description (but I'm only talking about those words, not the photo meme).

However, the meme in question was idiotic and childish. It equated "legal immigration" with protector and 'illegal immigrant" with murderer, as if the two were synonymous. The two labels could easily be reversed using some other combination of people (when it would be equally idiotic). We could find one of those right wing morons who murdered Jews or Muslims and have "white male" and "murderer" on his picture, basically claiming that white males in general are well disposed towards mass murder of innocent victims. Whether such a meme should be banned, I'm not sure. Once again, it would take a schoolkid level of argument to refute it, although its also about the level of sophistication that you hear out of Trump in terms of rhetoric, so maybe I'm being too complacent in terms of combating it.

You could have just said you don't want to answer instead of giving all that waffle.

Don't worry about memes.

Corporal Ronil Singh = legal immigrant
Gustavo Arriga = illegal immigrant

fact.

J70

No, I answered all right.

Not my problem if you've got intellectual issues, whether genuine or dishonest.

Dolph1

Quote from: J70 on January 04, 2019, 11:11:48 AM

Given your interpretation of politics I'm not surprised that you don't want to answer a straightforward question. It's a bit like your bathroom policies ;)

J70

Quote from: Dolph1 on January 04, 2019, 11:15:13 AM
Quote from: J70 on January 04, 2019, 11:11:48 AM

Given your interpretation of politics I'm not surprised that you don't want to answer a straightforward question. It's a bit like your bathroom policies ;)

You see, this is why the likes of Eamonn are trying to get you banned again. You've no interest in honest discourse. You're just a troll.

Or maybe just incredibly thick, but the former is more likely IMO.

But once again, for the idiots in the room, banning the words themselves... wrong and stupid.
The overall meme... I'm not sure. It's childish and stupid and easily argued against, but a lot of people seem to like, and find convincing, that level of argument, including Trump and, evidently, yourself.

So that's twice I've explained it. Perhaps I'm the bigger idiot for engaging you, for now.