Gaillimh v Maigh Eo, Staid na Gaoithe, 1400, 10-Fea-2018

Started by macdanger2, February 05, 2018, 10:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublin7

Quote from: trileacman on February 12, 2018, 08:15:27 PM
Doc challenge was much more deliberate than coc and for me that makes it the least acceptable of the two. Coc didn't raise his arm above the horizontal, to me he didn't go out of his way to strike the head of the corner-back. It's an off the ball challenge and a red but not worth the angst that it's causing so many haters.

Doc knew exactly what he was doing though, in his eyes it was payback and despite being the player who'll get off more likely in was definitely the more vindictive challenge.

Considering DOC more or less carried a Mayo U21 All Ireland it's amazing how he has never pushed on to be a top senior footballer. They just don't seem to be bringing any fresh blood into the team and come the summer it will be the same senior players they are relying on. I'd question the coaching in the county that they can't bring through any decent two footed forwards in years

Syferus

Quote from: dublin7 on February 12, 2018, 08:36:24 PM
Doc challenge was much more deliberate than coc and for me that makes it the least acceptable of the two. Coc didn't raise his arm above the horizontal, to me he didn't go out of his way to strike the head of the corner-back. It's an off the ball challenge and a red but not worth the angst that it's causing so many haters.

Doc knew exactly what he was doing though, in his eyes it was payback and despite being the player who'll get off more likely in was definitely the more vindictive challenge.

Considering DOC more or less carried a Mayo U21 All Ireland it's amazing how he has never pushed on to be a top senior footballer. They just don't seem to be bringing any fresh blood into the team and come the summer it will be the same senior players they are relying on. I'd question the coaching in the county that they can't bring through any decent two footed forwards in years

The only standout game DOC had that year was the U21 AISF. Incredible how the idea he carried them to that AI has leaked into more than a few brains in the intervening two years.

criostlinn

You're right it has to be something with the coaching. Maybe if the gaa could send a few million quid down this way we could sort it out

Cunny Funt

Did he? not for his scoring anyway

V Leitrim 1-0 (a penalty)
V Roscommon 0-0
V Dublin 1-1
V Cork 1-0

macdanger2

Well done Galway, fully deserved the win yesterday. I thought at ht that we were well placed to push on having played badly but only two points down. Instead,  we never got started in the second half and we were beaten from a good way out.

I think the way we setup in an attacking sense for the last two games has been completely headless - we don't seem to have a plan for getting scores other than winning frees or someone producing a bit of magic. None of the forwards are playing off each other, no loop runs or interplay, no runs to the flanks to stretch the backs and create space for an early ball. No runners coming through the wall of players on the 45 bar an occasional burst from Durcan, EOD or DOC. Instead it's just handpassed laterally until we lose it or maybe get lucky and win a free.

On the rows at the end, Cillian's elbow was dirty and needless. If the ref had sent off DOC for the first high challenge, a lot of the subsequent problems would have been avoided, instead he lost control completely and it could have gotten a lot nastier than it did.

At this rate, we'll need to get points in Newbridge and against Tyrone in castlebar, I wouldn't be confident going to Ballybofey on the last day needing a result

seafoid

If Mayo were a company they would rent out their D1 spot to another company. Mayo don't care about the league. The players only have interest in Croke Park in late summer. They will have all the forward choreography ready  by mid July.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

whitey

Quote from: Cunny Funt on February 12, 2018, 08:47:17 PM

V Roscommon 0-0
V Dublin 1-1
V Cork 1-0

Correct me if Im wrong but didnt he play in midfield for most of the 2016 U21 championship?

I think it was in the Dublin game he made a vital interception in his own goalmouth.

Hard to be racking up big scores if youre making incredible plays 130 yards away down the other end of the field.

He was named player of the U21 Championship for 2016

http://www.eirgridgroup.com/newsroom/u21-player-of-the-year/

He was flat out excellent in every game he played

criostlinn

Quote from: whitey on February 12, 2018, 09:38:46 PM

V Roscommon 0-0
V Dublin 1-1
V Cork 1-0

Correct me if Im wrong but didnt he play in midfield for most of the championship?

I think if it was in the Dublin game he made a vital interception in his own goalmouth.

Hard to be racking up big scores if youre making incredible plays 130 yards away down the other end of the field.

He was carrying that form into the senior championship in 2016 until he was taken out of with a cheap shot from a kildare lad. Similar to 2015 when another cowardly cnut decided the only way of stopping him was to try and break his legs. Didnt stop him winning ypoty. But sure what about it, he should suck up this treatment from the cheap shot merchants and just get on with it

Cunny Funt

V Roscommon 0-0
V Dublin 1-1
V Cork 1-0

Correct me if Im wrong but didnt he play in midfield for most of the championship?

I think if it was in the Dublin game he made a vital interception in his own goalmouth.

No he didn't play midfield.

V Leitrim the midfield pairing was Val Roughneen, Stephen Coen
V Roscommon the midfield pairing was  Stephen Coen, Matthew Ruane
V Dublin the midfield pairing was Stephen Coen, Matthew Ruane
V Cork the midfield pairing was again Stephen Coen, Matthew Ruane

Tracking back and defending is more about the game he plays than scoring but some still think he's good consistent scoring forward.

Wouldn't pay much attention to those underage awards that was probably won on public popular vote by many supporters that probably didn't even attend all four games he played. Coen and Ruane had better U21 campaigns than DOC had IMO.

Blowitupref

Quote from: seafoid on February 12, 2018, 09:24:28 PM
If Mayo were a company they would rent out their D1 spot to another company. Mayo don't care about the league. The players only have interest in Croke Park in late summer. They will have all the forward choreography ready  by mid July.
You will see in the in next few games they will care a lot more as they won't want to lose their long standing Div 1 status.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

whitey

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2016/0402/779013-roscommon-v-mayo/

Well RTE claims he played at midfield in the Roscommon game.

In any games of I saw or listened to he played all over the field and seems to have been given that mandate by management.

He was not the designated free taker either.....in the Dublin game Loftus scored 4 frees and Irwin 3

Orchard park

Quote from: Cunny Funt on February 12, 2018, 09:52:04 PM

V Roscommon 0-0
V Dublin 1-1
V Cork 1-0

Tracking back and defending is more about the game he plays than scoring but some still think he's good consistent scoring forward.

Wouldn't pay much attention to those underage awards that was probably won on public popular vote by many supporters that probably didn't even attend all four games he played. Coen and Ruane had better U21 campaigns than DOC had IMO.

Where .is ruane  now, thought Irwin and reape  would get full league runs

Syferus

macdanger2

Watched it back there, we weren't actually as bad as I thought coming out of Salthill yesterday. Still bad though  :(

moysider

Quote from: Orchard park on February 12, 2018, 10:44:09 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on February 12, 2018, 09:52:04 PM

V Roscommon 0-0
V Dublin 1-1
V Cork 1-0

Where .is ruane  now, thought Irwin and reape  would get full league runs

Nah. We did well to get an AI out of those lads. The team was driven by O Connor (who was heroic at times) and Coen' s strength, leadership, good attitude and size was massive as well. But that was underage stuff and Coen' s strengths at underage do not translate at senior and his weakness is damning. I never imagined that Irwin or Reape would be senior players.
O Donaghue and Hall were the pick of the quality apart from O Connor. Ruane looked good and raw but no idea how he has come along since.