All Ireland Qualifiers

Started by MoChara, June 22, 2015, 10:58:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Quote from: Zulu on July 26, 2015, 05:34:41 PM
Quote from: heffo on July 26, 2015, 05:19:48 PM
Quote from: Zulu on July 26, 2015, 03:36:07 PM
Very poor from Rushe there, an awful stroke and no need for it. Waterford the better team and deserved winners.

No need for Shanahan acting the bollix for 70 minutes either

You're not defending a strike to the head with a hurley are you heffo?

It's completely wrong. So were the actions of Shanahan.

You're not defending Shanahan are you for his behaviour?

Zulu

Didn't notice that he did much to be honest. If he was slabbering then no, I wouldn't defend that, but I didn't see him do much of that and striking with a hurley to the head of an opponent is not justified by anything.

Don't know what Loughanne is going on about on TV saying both QF's suggest the SF's will be competitive. Today indicates both semi finals will be straight forward wins for Tipp and Kilkenny.

stew

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 13, 2015, 02:55:31 PM
One of the hardest spots for a referee due to positioning timing and speed of passes.... As a referee if I can't see a clear strike then its a throw... But in a ruck of players and a ball is played it only takes a player to obstruct view then you cant call it as a throw.

One ref is not enough in Hurling, you need two at least! The game is too fast for any one man to be in the  driving seat alone.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Zulu

If, like me, you watched this on TV I don't know how you can say that. Shanahan did seem to get involved with some Dublin players on occasions but we don't know what was going on off the ball. Is it beyond possibility that Dublin players were giving it as good they were getting it? Cheap strike from Rushe and some of the comments on Reservoirdubs are bang out of order.

Canalman

Waterford slightly imo the better side and deserved the win v us. Maybe looking at game wrongly but thought referee gave us absolutely nothing.Not an excuse just an observation.
Think Rushe suspended for first game of next year' championship. No matter the provocation he shouldnt have done what he did and he could have gone earlier truth be told.

Really should be hoping Waterford win it now but for me anyway there is something dislikeable  about them collectively.

Hope Galway win it now but think Tipp should do it this year.

johnneycool

Quote from: Syferus on July 26, 2015, 05:26:32 PM
If there is a God we'll get a Galway v Waterford AI final.

He'll have to be a very generous god all the same, as its hard to judge one game vrs another, Tipp and Kilkenny will be hot favourites come the semi-finals.

Waterford have lost their vim and verve, and made very hard work of Dublin, but fair play to the Dubs they battled away, just need another forward to help Schutte who was contained pretty well but still proved to be a danger before the inevitable end.

In the second game, Galway seemed to be looking a gift horse in the mouth, the Cork defence's generosity knew no bounds, yet Galway, Joe in particular failed to avail, whilst the accuracy of the Cork forwards kept a lid on things. The second half you'd have thought Cork would have tightened up, but they didn't and the Galway lads kept them at arms length, their defence was getting on top of the Cork lads and the fight was out of Cork very quickly, game over.
Galway will be pleased enough and will fancy a crack at Tipp, Donnellan, Glynn and Flynn will will more than their fair share of the aerial exchanges, but Joe will need his shooting boots on as you can see the Tipp forwards getting a lot of opportunities the other end, but in all fairness to the Galway defence they finished strongly and maybe the underdogs tag will suit them. Hard to look past Tipp all the same.

thejuice

Just thinking about Galways first goal, how come the cork goalkeeper didn't come out and clear it especially when the ball was flicked over the defenders heads.  Paddy O'Rourke wouldn't have missed an opportunity like that.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

johnneycool

Quote from: thejuice on July 26, 2015, 08:48:06 PM
Just thinking about Galways first goal, how come the cork goalkeeper didn't come out and clear it especially when the ball was flicked over the defenders heads.  Paddy O'Rourke wouldn't have missed an opportunity like that.

Nash filled the trunks there alright, the last flick was inside the 6 yard box with Nash glued to the line.

INDIANA

Quote from: Zulu on July 26, 2015, 08:06:32 PM
If, like me, you watched this on TV I don't know how you can say that. Shanahan did seem to get involved with some Dublin players on occasions but we don't know what was going on off the ball. Is it beyond possibility that Dublin players were giving it as good they were getting it? Cheap strike from Rushe and some of the comments on Reservoirdubs are bang out of order.

Spent the whole day winding Rushe up Zulu. A horrible, horrible player in my view- I don't care what his talents are. And a poor reflection on Waterford. I found their fans to be pretty sound and even they said to me Shanahan deserved a belt.

I'd like to see Waterford go on and win but Kilkenny will have far too much for them. Galway however could be the surprise packet. They could well beat Tipp. Cork are in absolute disarray. We're some way off an All Ireland but Cork are even further away. JBM extracted more out of that Cork team they were capable of.

Cork GAA in disarray.

imtommygunn

Shanahan did appear to be goading etc all day and was in general acting the maggot. The game was long won and no need for it. Rushe shouldn't have done that but shanahan far from innocent.

Would love to see waterford win it but don't think they have enough. Gleeson is a class act and will be some player for them. They need more forwards to contribute though.

Cork were brutal. I would say they're better than that and am not convinced jbm getting the best from them. Would love a galway waterford final but don't think either will get there.

I don't understand how clare couldn't beat that cork team.

johnneycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 26, 2015, 09:23:33 PM
Shanahan did appear to be goading etc all day and was in general acting the maggot. The game was long won and no need for it. Rushe shouldn't have done that but shanahan far from innocent.

Would love to see waterford win it but don't think they have enough. Gleeson is a class act and will be some player for them. They need more forwards to contribute though.

Cork were brutal. I would say they're better than that and am not convinced jbm getting the best from them. Would love a galway waterford final but don't think either will get there.

Clare don't have the same, big physical, ball winning forwards as Galway and hence aren't as direct to get at the soft underbelly of the Cork defence. How the first goal was scored beggared belief with sweepers and what not, a set of balls are still required to play the game.

Croí na hÉireann

Only one thing worth talking about from the weekend's games https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czJRjK8JqdY
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

imtommygunn

Quote from: johnneycool on July 27, 2015, 09:50:03 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 26, 2015, 09:23:33 PM

Clare don't have the same, big physical, ball winning forwards as Galway and hence aren't as direct to get at the soft underbelly of the Cork defence. How the first goal was scored beggared belief with sweepers and what not, a set of balls are still required to play the game.

Surprised with Walsh as he's a big strong guy but I guess doesn't seem to put himself about as much as he could / should. Glynn very aggressive / direct - I think that would give Tipp problems but I'm not so sure KK would get the same problems. Galway Tipp will be interesting but would expect Tipp to win by 5 or so as I think Galway;s defense could struggle.

Premier Emperor

A player who lets Maurice Shanahan wind them up needs to take a long look at themselves.

deiseach

I've zipped through the game from start to finish on Sky+ for the purposes of my blog and can find three instances of Maurice Shanahan giving verbals or whatnot to Liam Rushe. Not once did he do it with anyone else. On two of those occasions Rushe gave as good as he got, including the bit which ended with him slapping Maurice in the head with his hurley. So if you were watching the telly and saw him goading Dublin players throughout the game, you're . . . wrong.