Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dire Ear

Tony Donnelly and Paddy Tally would be a good combo

Tyrone Gaa

Tally for me and I would trust him to appoint a team he trusts to progress.  I wouldn't be for McGleenan, he has taken Cavan backwards in my opinion, they have had 4 winning u21 sides in the recent past and shows no signs of progress that should/would be expected.
Living the dream!!!

Club boi

Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on March 05, 2018, 09:57:04 AM
Tally for me and I would trust him to appoint a team he trusts to progress.  I wouldn't be for McGleenan, he has taken Cavan backwards in my opinion, they have had 4 winning u21 sides in the recent past and shows no signs of progress that should/would be expected.

4 x U-21 sides that played horrible negative defensive football. At least he's trying to change, unlike some....................

bigpackiechestout

Some amount of dreamers on this board. Claim they want to play a better brand of football and in the same breath propose appointing renowned defensive coach Paddy Tally as manager. Where is the evidence that Tally wouldn't have Tyrone playing even more defensively than they already are? St. Mary's used the Tyrone template to win a Sigerson last year and now Galway are playing the most defensive football in Division 1.

Also someone wants a manager who will interfere less with the club scene. In my view the Tyrone club scene is one of the best run in Ireland, with county men featuring in 10 out of 15 league games. Tyrone also adhere to the 13 day rule so you often see county lads playing with their clubs a fortnight before big Ulster Championship games. Without a restructured fixture schedule for the whole of the GAA I'm not sure how any other county manager could improve on this. Indeed there are many weaker counties than Tyrone whose county men play less club matches.

Finally, no manager in the country is going to turn Lee Brennan or Darren McCurry into a 6 foot tall marquee forward like McManus, Geaney or McBrearty who can consistently win his own ball and score from play, because this is where our real problems actually lie.

Some of you just don't know how lucky we have it at the moment.

Snapchap

So to sum up the position of the posters on this board:

- We're too defensive!! WE'RE TOO DEFENSIVE!!! WE NEED A NEW MANAGER!!

- OK so who do you think we should get?

- Paddy Tally!!!

Sweet jaysis. Well sure if it's a more offensive style we're looking for, and if Tally isn't available, maybe we could ask Jim McGuinness? And maybe have Hub Hughes as a new shooting coach? The mind boggles. Lads I'm all for a more attacking style of play, and Paddy Tally has a track record of success that speaks for itself, but bemoaning us being too defensive and then wanting Tally to come in as new manager is just.... bizzarre.

Dire Ear

Would he let them play like footballers,  or robots?

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: Dire Ear on March 05, 2018, 11:57:31 AM

What does that even mean? Why do you think they play like robots, is it because you heard Joe Brolly say it?

If you mean would Paddy Tally have Tyrone play in a fixed defensive system with forwards funnelling back behind the ball then yes, he absolutely would.

Tyrone Gaa

Personally I don't mind the defensive system, Dublin play a defensive system.  But its changeable and the players understand their role and have an element of freedom.  I'm not looking to change MH because of his defensive style, its the fact that we haven't beat any of the big guns in the championship because of the rigid system without the need to change it up or try something else. 

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.
Living the dream!!!

longballin

If anyone seen Chelsea yesterday, could only think of Tyrone against Dublin... losing and defending a defeat. Dreadful

Dire Ear

Quote from: bigpackiechestout on March 05, 2018, 12:00:54 PM
Quote from: Dire Ear on March 05, 2018, 11:57:31 AM

What does that even mean? Why do you think they play like robots, is it because you heard Joe Brolly say it?

If you mean would Paddy Tally have Tyrone play in a fixed defensive system with forwards funnelling back behind the ball then yes, he absolutely would.
I don't listen or read Brollys stuff anymore,  I think he's a bullshitter.  Tally, from what I've seen allows players to play to their strengths , unlike Tyrone who brings better footballers down to a level where they all play the same way ie usually looking beside or behind them instead of driving forward.  The confidence is run out of them, in my humble opinion

southtyronegael

before any talk of tactics or gameplans, the next manager needs to be much less divisive than mickey. we need someone who  the whole county can get behind and bring a bit of much needed positivity. im not sure he is a top class coach yet but for this reason alone im still with mc gleenan.

Thebigdog

Quote from: southtyronegael on March 05, 2018, 06:39:14 PM
before any talk of tactics or gameplans, the next manager needs to be much less divisive than mickey. we need someone who  the whole county can get behind and bring a bit of much needed positivity. im not sure he is a top class coach yet but for this reason alone im still with mc gleenan.
The power of positivity that is exactly what Tyrone need. Is their any at the minute? NO. As I have alluded to before these players are mentally shattered after last August. It was interesting listening to some of the punditry around Arsene Wenger at the weekend for it may aswell have been Mickey they were talking about..

Fuzzman

Yeah the Wenger comparison has been made a lot by people recently and I can see why.

A good season for me would be beat a Mayo or Kerry in the semis but I fear we've reached a plateau and what saddens me is I can't see me being entertained during the summer getting to the last 8.

Are they not gonna team this week then?

bigpackiechestout

Any word on the subs? Are McShane and McClure injured? Good attacking looking team although I've yet to be convinced by McNulty