The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, January 25, 2007, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Rover

It's hard to believe it has come to this but the chances of Leeds surviving tomorrow are slim. We realistically needed Burnley to lose at Villa, where they were completely outplayed but almost snatched it in injury time. Having to better their final result is a big ask, as there is a fair bit of history between Brentford and Leeds with the last away win in the fixture in 1950. Burnley have a much more straightforward task at home to Newcastle, and they must be confident in the circumstances. There has always been a decent prospect that Leeds will go down on goal difference, which will make it all even harder to take. However, at least we have a shot at it, and sometimes you never know what can happen.

seafoid

https://www.bbc.com/sport/live/football/60990569

GOAL - Brentford 1-2 Leeds

Jack Harrison

LEEDS ARE SAFE!

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Mourne Rover

It was hard to believe where we were going into the match and in some ways it is even harder to believe that we actually made it to safety. Leeds were as nervous as kittens for most of the match and a bit of quality from Raphinha to win and convert the penalty made all the difference. However we still managed to concede against ten men before Canos produced two acts of madness within a minute - getting booked for taking his shirt off after a goal which was meaningless for his team and then bringing down Raphinha needlessly for an inevitable second yellow which left Brentford down to nine. Even then, Burnley were missing chance after chance to equalise against Newcastle. Harrison's goal was sweet relief, and the crazy roller coaster has finally come to an end.

seafoid

One team had to have the luck. Burnley went 2-0 down so must have had worse nerves. In pre match analysis Burnley 2-0 down  was the dream start for Leeds.   Leeds kept it at 0-0 for a good while before going 1 up. This was very impressive.
It was a bad day for Leeds nihilists.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Main Street

Leeds won their game and Burnley were muck in their game, they should have recalled Stonewall Dyche for this game.
Although Burnley managed to get back into a favourable position going into the last round, this team is a poor man's Burnley of previous seasons. Leeds are a much better team and fate was also on their side with that most stupid of 2 yellow cards for that Brentford player.

ONeill

Leeds are a great club and good to see they'll be at the top table.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Dougal Maguire

Great result for Leeds. They had an unfortunate season with injuries. I think it'll be better next season. I assume Rufus T is still celebrating
Careful now

Armamike

Happy for Leeds and for the likes of Rufus here who have been through some bad times following the club over the past 15 years.  Leeds are a a great club with a proud history and great to see them back in the top tier.
That's just, like your opinion man.

quit yo jibbajabba

Great to see them stay up though i would be worried for them next year, if any of their big guns leave, and as said before i think the manager is a bluffer

All we need now is Forest back up (Ipswich to follow in a few yrs lol) then maybe Liverpool could start dominating again?! Im dreaming arent i 😊

Rufus T Firefly

And breathe!!  :D

That was excruciating - I watched the match on my own in the house and couldn't sit down throughout the second half. Saw one or two of the chances that Burnley missed on MOTD - thank God I wasn't watching that live.

Luck definitely played a part in staying up, on the day. Brentford were very poor, and had the look of a team already on the beach. The fact they finished with nine men was unbelievable but even with that we were level for what seemed like ages and Burnley were therefore only one goal from survival for that time.

That team would take years off you. But for Striujk's injury time equaliser against Brighton last Sunday and Mings incredible goal line clearance on Thursday night for Villa at home to Burnley, we'd have been gone already. That's how close we sailed to the wind.

Looking back, I don't think you can fault the attitude. How many invaluable points were picked up with late winners / equalisers? Wolves home and away, Palace at home, Brentford home and away, Norwich home, Brighton home are a few that come to mind.   

I think staying up is huge in the long term. There have unquestionably been a series of mistakes, certainly in the context of squad management, which left us very vulnerable. The fact that we have dodged a bullet means that lessons can and surely will be learned, i.e. the need for more investment.

If Raph goes, we should be able to get good money for him, which in itself should add to the battle fund. Strengthening needed across the pitch, but central midfield, left back and centre forward are three key areas. Having support for Bamford is essential as we have played this season without a striker.

Someone above mentioned the manager, and it is still very early days to judge. He's earned himself time and the opportunity to put his stamp in terms of playing style, tactics, personnel. Someone mentioned a spoofer and I can see why. I think he is coming into a very different football culture and he will have to dial down some of the rhetoric.

Have to say that the last few months were nerve wracking - any hope of a season of mid table mediocrity for next year!?!  :-\ 

Milltown Row2

Two weeks off and get back at it!!!

My mate was having kittens, he whole family all dressed up in the Leeds gear lol. Hopefully he's sobered up.. While a lot of the attention was on the other games these ones were horrific and brilliant depending on who you support.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Mourne Rover

It is possible that neutral viewers enjoyed the drama of yesterday but it was pure agony for the committed. When Leeds were one up at Brentford in the middle of the second half, with Burnley losing 2-0 at home to Newcastle, it almost looked comfortable. In the blink of an eye, Burnley had pulled one back and were battering Newcastle while Leeds managed to concede an equaliser against ten men. We just about managed to stumble over the line in the end, and a proper recruitment strategy is now essential. Rufus has correctly identified the areas which need strengthening, and the usually reliable Phil Hay says that Brenden Aaronson is finally on his way from RB Salzburg and an unnamed Premiership striker is also lined up. Firpo is sadly not the answer at left back so hopefully the various deals can completed at an early stage and further last day turmoil can be avoided. However, with Leeds, anything is possible.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Mourne Rover on May 23, 2022, 05:27:44 PM
...the usually reliable Phil Hay says that Brenden Aaronson is finally on his way from RB Salzburg and an unnamed Premiership striker is also lined up.

Read that tweet. Will be very interested to see who the striker is. Wonder would we go back for Eddie Nketiah? Is he out of contract at Arsenal? Definitely showing good form recently.

Also saw a report that Harrison is attracting interest from other Premier League Clubs, with Spurs mentioned, and he himself would be open to a move. In such circumstances, I'd be guessing we could get a good fee for Harrison. He's been a good servant, but as a supporter, I'd be happy to see him go if we could get £15 million+.

Rufus T Firefly

Meant to say, as an aside, our 59 points last season would have had us qualifying for European football this season!  :o

Rufus T Firefly

Brenden Aaronson is a done deal and he is expected in Leeds today for a medical. He will link up again with Jesse Marsch after they were together at Salzburg. Raphinha looks to be on his way out and to be fair, he is going with the blessing of the Leeds support as they recognise the commitment he made to what had looked like a no hope situation. Barca are meant to have offered a derisory 35/40 million euro offer as an opening gambit, but it's fair to say Leeds will be looking significantly more and are in a relatively strong bargaining position.

Harrison is also attracting interest from Newcastle, which hopefully with Spurs' interest, will generate a bit of a bidding war!! Wouldn't like to see him go but if the money is right (good), it might make sense to cash in.

Also some talk of Leeds renewing interest in Minamino from Liverpool although likely to face competition for his services. 

Leeds also being linked again with Aberdeen right back Calvin Ramsay.