RTE and SKY Live Coverage of GAA Championships 2014

Started by SLIGONIAN, April 18, 2011, 02:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

RTE can't show the replay at the same time as the Football on Sky, just as they wouldn't have been able to show it if TV3 were showing the football like last year.

They would be free to show it at 5pm, and were offered that, as I understand. They rejected that, because they have horse racing and World Cup soccer on at that time on Saturday.

They (RTE) then proposed a 2.30 throw in, which Kilkenny and Galway rejected as being unfair on the supporters of both.

Craigyhill Terror

Quote from: Denn Forever on June 24, 2014, 04:57:11 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 24, 2014, 04:31:50 PM
I don't know. BBC have a different agreement again. Is that what this is about? You're trying to blame Sky for the Galway game not being on TV?

I'm just asking as it seems to be kinda like Rumsfeld's "Known  Unknowns"  RTE are missing a trick by not showing the Replay.

BBC can only show live matches that RTE are also showing. That's the deal they signed

didlyi

Its all about money. The Leinster council wont let the game go ahead on Saturday afternoon because they fear a a smaller crowd will show up. I suppose the upside is some lazy Galway supporters will have to get up of their ass and support their hurlers for a change.

Catch and Kick

This afternoon, Leinster Council Chairman John Horan claimed an alternate arrangement had not been possible with RTÉ.
"We waited on Monday morning for RTÉ to come to us with an offer as to a time suitable for them to actually show the game," Horan told RTÉ's News at One programme. "And the only offer put on the table by RTÉ was 2.30 on Saturday afternoon.
"If it had come back to us with an offer at 5.00 in the evening, certainly we would have given some consideration, but 2.30 is unpractical [sic]."
On Saturday evening, RTÉ is showing the Irish Derby on RTE One and the World Cup last 16 fixtures on RTE Two.
"We're an amateur organisation, the players involved in both teams have jobs, the supporters [are] the same," Horan said. "And I think in due deference to Tullamore as a provincial business town, I think it would be very unfair for us to crash in on top of it on a busy Saturday afternoon with a match at 2.30."
Speaking later to RTÉ Sport, Horan elaborated on the reasons why a 2.30pm throw-in was not suitable for the two counties.
"[They are] both rural counties, where many ... with this good weather, farming work going on. We just felt that a 7pm start would have been the ideal, but the other game was on Sky, so we then thought 5pm in our heads.
"But RTÉ only offered us 2.30. 5pm would have been ideal, but that's the way it has worked ou
t."
RTÉ confirmed that it had offered the 2.30pm TV time and suggested streaming the game live, but said it had no further comment to make.
"And for the benefit of just getting streaming and having it at 5.00pm, we didn't feel it was a good enough offer, really" - John Horan

What a load of clap trap.
According to this logic none of the other fixtures should have been made for Saturday afternoon - Tyrone v Louth, Cavan v Westmeath and Carlow v Waterford. All afternoon games on Saturday.

There is so much spin going on in the GAA; they are beginning to believe their own hype.

Captain Scarlet

I'm sure Leinster council chatted the counties involved after RTE put an offer on the table.
Maybe the two counties directly involved took precedence over neutral tv fans.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

muppet

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on June 24, 2014, 09:54:50 PM
I'm sure Leinster council chatted the counties involved after RTE put an offer on the table.
Maybe the two counties directly involved took precedence over neutral tv fans.

Do I have this right?

RTE, Sky, Leinster Council, Kilkenny CB and Galway CB must agree to the fixture to allow it to be televised? Add to that any objections that could arise occasionally from say the Gárdaí and maybe Croke Park, and all of these bodies have to be satisfied so we can watch a game?
MWWSI 2017

Captain Scarlet

Deffo Leinster council consult the two county boards re a time. On this occasion RTE had one slot available by all accounts.
The Derby and World Cup cut out the wriggle room. The other craic with two games at the same time on different channels has always been there I'm told.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Farrandeelin

I'm sure somebody might make a facebook petition thingy where you ask all to share and RTÉ might change their mind then about the Galway-Kilkenny game. Mind you, I don't think the replay will live up to the original match. I hope to God I'm wrong though.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Redhand Santa

There's a difference between a qualifier being at 2.30 pm and a Leinster semi final. It's a much more high profile game and given the teams haven't been beaten deserves a good time slot which suits as many people looking to go as possible. Any chance of rte doing deferred coverage?

There's an ulster semi final game on Saturday, Leinster semi replay and qualifier games. Surely rte should be pushing for a Saturday game highlights show that night? Why is this never offered to gaa fans when Saturday has become such a big day for games?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: didlyi on June 24, 2014, 08:01:19 PM
Its all about money. The Leinster council wont let the game go ahead on Saturday afternoon because they fear a a smaller crowd will show up. I suppose the upside is some lazy Galway supporters will have to get up of their ass and support their hurlers for a change.

There were plenty in Tullamore last weekend.

panc56

Quote from: Redhand Santa on June 24, 2014, 10:15:02 PM
There's a difference between a qualifier being at 2.30 pm and a Leinster semi final. It's a much more high profile game and given the teams haven't been beaten deserves a good time slot which suits as many people looking to go as possible. Any chance of rte doing deferred coverage?

There's an ulster semi final game on Saturday, Leinster semi replay and qualifier games. Surely rte should be pushing for a Saturday game highlights show that night? Why is this never offered to gaa fans when Saturday has become such a big day for games?
Agree on this point re Sat night show. It's bugs me that the Sunday Game spends most of the show highlights of the games they've already shown live, then discusses the same game again, having done so during lie transmissions. Crazy stuff. Then the best football game last weekend was Londford Derry gets two mins. Drives me bonkers

Catch and Kick

No distinction between the competitions. As far as I know the players in those other counties have work, jobs etc just as those in the Leinster SHC replay... more of the hypocrisy of the most undemocratic organisation in the country!
We make a great play about democracy in the GAA and we sure have a funny version....Animal Farm...

macdanger2

Quote from: Catch and Kick on June 25, 2014, 12:06:31 AM

No distinction between the competitions. As far as I know the players in those other counties have work, jobs etc just as those in the Leinster SHC replay... more of the hypocrisy of the most undemocratic organisation in the country!
We make a great play about democracy in the GAA and we sure have a funny version....Animal Farm...

Exactly, the importance of the games themselves may differ but the impact to players / supporters of having it at 2pm is the same. What John Horan is saying is correct but when you see it not being applied to other games, it's hard to get away from the opinion that it's spin

Redhand Santa

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 25, 2014, 10:02:34 AM

Exactly, the importance of the games themselves may differ but the impact to players / supporters of having it at 2pm is the same. What John Horan is saying is correct but when you see it not being applied to other games, it's hard to get away from the opinion that it's spin

From a practical point of view and promotion of the games you can't play every match at the same time. The teams still in the main championship in my opinion have the right to the prime slots when the most people will attend. As can has been seen over the years the earlier qualifier rounds attract much lower attendances than the provincial championships anyway so a lot of people already don't attend no matter about the time.

Catch and Kick

My argument is not about spectator inconvenience or attendance levels; it's the blatant hypocrisy of the statement - fake concern about player welfare. If it is an issue for these two teams it's a bigger issue for the small fry who do not get to experience the big days, the adulation or the glory. It's a nonsense statement.
In regards to match times, Saturday afternoon is a prime time in other sports and the Leinster semi would have been sure to attract a huge attendance even if televised.

As regards Sky; it isn't directly their fault but at the end of the day the match will not be available live because 8,000 people will be watching Armagh v Monaghan on Sky3.

Quote from: Redhand Santa on June 25, 2014, 10:08:33 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on June 25, 2014, 10:02:34 AM

From a practical point of view and promotion of the games you can't play every match at the same time. The teams still in the main championship in my opinion have the right to the prime slots when the most people will attend. As can has been seen over the years the earlier qualifier rounds attract much lower attendances than the provincial championships anyway so a lot of people already don't attend no matter about the time.