Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hugh the root

Free. Wi fi in the Great Northern Bundoran! I am thinking of writing a book on The demise of Tyrone football at all levels!If Ciaran McLaughlin would only stop being a dictator and employ and/or use the services of men who have achieved in the past!

Christmas Lights

Willie Moore is the strength & conditioning coach AFAIK who has extensive experience in providing support services to many athletic groups at varying performance levels. As well as co-ordinating activities he is also involved in service delivery in the areas of physiological support and strength & conditioning. Strong links with the Ulster Sports Academy enable clients to avail of expertise in the areas of sports physiology, psychology and nutrition.

He's top dog in Ulster, possibly Ireland and Tyrone are using him.  Don't know how much further you can go than the top. 

Christmas Lights

Quote from: God14 on July 23, 2014, 09:52:51 AM
Also someone like Canavan or Dooher as Assistant Manager might be a good idea. If Mickey is a bit aloof from the younger players, there is a void to be filled there.

Wasn't this the problem with trainer Patrick Tally back in 2003-2004?  Players where going to him rather than the manager which resulted in the termination of his involvement with the Tyrone senior set up?
That could be just rumours though. 

WT4E

Quote from: Christmas Lights on July 23, 2014, 04:31:28 PM
Quote from: God14 on July 23, 2014, 09:52:51 AM
Also someone like Canavan or Dooher as Assistant Manager might be a good idea. If Mickey is a bit aloof from the younger players, there is a void to be filled there.

Wasn't this the problem with trainer Patrick Tally back in 2003-2004?  Players where going to him rather than the manager which resulted in the termination of his involvement with the Tyrone senior set up?
That could be just rumours though.

I thought I remembered something about how Tally had gave and interview about methods/achievement of winning all Ireland - that put Hartes nose out of joint so he got the road for that?

The Beard

Quote from: Christmas Lights on July 23, 2014, 04:26:34 PM
Willie Moore is the strength & conditioning coach AFAIK who has extensive experience in providing support services to many athletic groups at varying performance levels. As well as co-ordinating activities he is also involved in service delivery in the areas of physiological support and strength & conditioning. Strong links with the Ulster Sports Academy enable clients to avail of expertise in the areas of sports physiology, psychology and nutrition.

He's top dog in Ulster, possibly Ireland and Tyrone are using him.  Don't know how much further you can go than the top. 

Willys sessions are poor. Really are. Im not doubting his knowledge but his sessions with tyrone mostly focus on 'prehab' work. not sure that is a direct instruction from mickey or mccann but the programme seems pretty easy. Only fellas in tyrone that are properly bulked up are the ones who have went away and done it themselves m. donnelly, c.cavanagh etc. certainly wasn't from doing willie moore programme.

The other big problem is that a weight wasn't lifted in tyrone senior squad this year until Jan.....which is pretty rubbish really by management. should have 2-3 months of heavy gym work finished at that stage. think its just an extra sign of things going stale this year

EC Unique

Quote from: hugh the root on July 23, 2014, 04:14:26 PM
Free. Wi fi in the Great Northern Bundoran! I am thinking of writing a book on The demise of Tyrone football at all levels!If Ciaran McLaughlin would only stop being a dictator and employ and/or use the services of men who have achieved in the past!

You holiday in Bundoran?

Man Marker

Xmas lights, you have just shown your hand, the fact, and I refer to fact, is that Tyrone S&C is behind the Doneagals, Dublins, Armagh and Cavan (it isn't Peter Donnelly, it's a company from Dublin who bring that expertise to Cavan) and it really shows in our inability to break the tackles, bar the few players we know r going to their own private trainers. Mc Elkennon is top bracket, advising county teams and doing personal private training with numerous county players from Ulster and Lenister. What a waste not using his outstanding knowledge in this area for Tyrone

omagh_gael

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on July 23, 2014, 09:36:34 AM
Quote from: omagh_gael on July 22, 2014, 07:36:34 PM
It looks like Harte will be in the hot seat for another year. I really can't see him clearing out his backroom a la Jim Mc Guinness. It all appears to have gone stale within the county set up. We need new ideas, a red out of the fringe panelists and a new approach to strength and conditioning.
I have seen several people mention this, you would nearly think Tyrone aren't doing any S&C work  :-\
Over the past number of years they have been working with the guys in SINI on this side of things, so i imagine they are doing all the right things and getting the best advice.

I certainly dont think that is were the problem lies, i dont think the current Tyrone team look any less fit or physically strong than the majority of teams out there at the minute.

We were blown out of the water in the physical stakes by both Monaghan and Armagh. Granted the tactics and a lot of players underperforming didn't help matters either.

Again all of this is my opinion, but from the outside looking in, the managerial/training aspects of our county teams appear to have become stale and are slipping behind a number of other counties.

Christmas Lights

Quote from: The Beard on July 23, 2014, 05:59:05 PM

Willys sessions are poor. Really are. Im not doubting his knowledge but his sessions with tyrone mostly focus on 'prehab' work. not sure that is a direct instruction from mickey or mccann but the programme seems pretty easy. Only fellas in tyrone that are properly bulked up are the ones who have went away and done it themselves m. donnelly, c.cavanagh etc. certainly wasn't from doing willie moore programme.

The other big problem is that a weight wasn't lifted in tyrone senior squad this year until Jan.....which is pretty rubbish really by management. should have 2-3 months of heavy gym work finished at that stage. think its just an extra sign of things going stale this year

You have experience of William Moore's S&C sessions I'm assuming based on your above post? 

I'm not saying that his sessions are good or bad because I don't know, I'm not part of the Tyrone setup. All I'm saying is that people are complaining about the S&C of Tyrone this year however they are using a guy who is top dog at UUJ and has been used by many professional teams therefore one would assume the S&C are up to scratch?

You cant build up your nuts in the gym where most of the Tyrone team seemed to be lacking this year.  I don't think they looked any smaller or weaker against any teams they played this year.  The main thing that was the problem IMO on the pitch was the cojones of the players.

God14

Quote from: Man Marker on July 23, 2014, 09:06:13 PM

Xmas lights, you have just shown your hand, the fact, and I refer to fact, is that Tyrone S&C is behind the Doneagals, Dublins, Armagh and Cavan (it isn't Peter Donnelly, it's a company from Dublin who bring that expertise to Cavan) and it really shows in our inability to break the tackles, bar the few players we know r going to their own private trainers. Mc Elkennon is top bracket, advising county teams and doing personal private training with numerous county players from Ulster and Lenister. What a waste not using his outstanding knowledge in this area for Tyrone

I think its safe to say that Mickey Harte & Martin McElkennon wont be working together again!

Christmas Lights

Quote from: God14 on July 24, 2014, 09:18:31 AM
Quote from: Man Marker on July 23, 2014, 09:06:13 PM

I think its safe to say that Mickey Harte & Martin McElkennon wont be working together again!

God14

McElkennon worked with Harte at St Ciarans Ballygawley in the 90's and was part of the management team for the County minors in around 97. The relationship between the pair would be reminiscent of that with Harte & Paddy Tally.

sensethetone

Quote from: God14 on July 24, 2014, 11:27:20 AM
McElkennon worked with Harte at St Ciarans Ballygawley in the 90's and was part of the management team for the County minors in around 97. The relationship between the pair would be reminiscent of that with Harte & Paddy Tally.
But what happened?

Under Lights

Quote from: God14 on July 24, 2014, 11:27:20 AM

Harte and Paddy Tally also worked together at St Ciarans Ballygawley. Maybe it's this school that's that problem. A cesspool of corruption???

Fuzzman

Would it be too simplistic to say that Mickey is indeed a very stubborn man (as are most great managers) and he tends to surround himself with yes men from what I have heard.
If you step over that line then you will be shunned from what I heard

I talked to an ex player recently and he shocked me of what he had to say about Mickey and how the lack of communication has ALWAYS been an issue and isn't something new.