2019 Allianz Football League Division 3.

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, September 06, 2018, 12:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Draper

Meredith could do a job there if we could only get him in.

Blow-in

les Antiques

Quote from: Don Draper on February 05, 2019, 09:39:02 AM

He  would be the a right one in there alright .

Don Draper

Laoiseabu

I personally don't think Meredith will be back but I can see Sean Byrne being tried there . He's decent in the air and seems out of position at half foward . Meaney wasn't on the 26 the last two games(and made his feelings felt over it) so you could see Tyrell thrown in instead of the suspended Lillis

Don Draper

Quote from: Laoiseabu on February 05, 2019, 01:32:21 PM
I personally don't think Meredith will be back but I can see Sean Byrne being tried there . He's decent in the air and seems out of position at half foward . Meaney wasn't on the 26 the last two games(and made his feelings felt over it) so you could see Tyrell thrown in instead of the suspended Lillis
Given how Meaney acted the last time he was in a Laois jersey, you'd think he'd bite his tongue and behave until his chance came.

Unlaoised

I just think Begley and Donie should have started ...build up a lead then rest and try players if needed ...

I'm not criticising John or the players but we under estimated Louth esp their full forward line
LAOIS ABÚ

Blow-in

Lack of knowledge here is frightening. Reasons why the players didn't ply are as follows:
Donie Kingston: battling a virus last few weeks and hasn't trained
Colm begley: hip injury and has barely trained
Mark Timmons: another illness and has been in hospital seemingly
Evan O Carroll: is plying with UCD tomorrow night. Has played 5/6 games between county and college in the last 3 weeks.

Give John Sugrue a break like good people and look into the reasons behind these things.

Don Draper

Quote from: Batman!!! on February 05, 2019, 04:35:11 PM
Lack of knowledge here is frightening. Reasons why the players didn't ply are as follows:
Donie Kingston: battling a virus last few weeks and hasn't trained
Colm begley: hip injury and has barely trained
Mark Timmons: another illness and has been in hospital seemingly
Evan O Carroll: is plying with UCD tomorrow night. Has played 5/6 games between county and college in the last 3 weeks.

Give John Sugrue a break like good people and look into the reasons behind these things.
Frightening is the important word there. Terrifying I would say.

Countyminor

There seems to real hostility to change on this thread. Timmons, Donie, Begley, Meaney, O'Loughlin etc must have 50+ years of Laois combined between them and what have they to show for it? Give the young lads like Nerney, Tyrell, O'Flynn, Whelan, Byrne, Murphy etc a chance for god's sake. If it costs us Division 3 promotion so what, we aren't exactly destined for Division 1 anyways.

High Fielder

I would agree in principle with that county minor. It would be nice to get promoted, but it's not the be all and end all. In many ways, it is only right that some players are protected with bigger days ahead. I have no problem at all with lads being minded and younger lads getting a crack. My problem is with some of the players getting a crack. In some instances, I don't believe they are good enough. I hope they prove me wrong; of course I do.

Someone mentioned Kevin Meaney above and in many ways his and others players' grievances are interesting. Meaney is easily one of the best midfielders in Laois. I personally would back him to dominate Lilis and O'Loughlin any day of the week in a club match. I would expect Gary Walsh to outscore most forwards outside of Portlaoise in any given Championship. But they obviously don't properly fit into Sugrue's plans, and it is days like Saturday that make you question the wisdom of that. Lillis and O'Loughlin were being comprehensively beaten in midfield in a way that I don't think Meaney would have been. Similarly, our forwards, Ross excepted, struggled, where you would imagine Walsh would not. It was after all only Louth. We were guilty on Saturday of not playing the team in front of us in my opinion.

Don Draper

Meaneys problems with Laois, on the field at least, were staying on the f**king field.

High Fielder

He plays on the edge alright, a bit like Quigley. He was playing in a team that was on the back foot and he didn't always cope with the pressure. That happens and Saturday showed that. In a team that has lacked any sort of bite for a long time, I'd make room for him and tell the rest to get a bit meaner