2019 Allianz Football League Division 3.

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, September 06, 2018, 12:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oneflewoverthecuckoonest

this division could be a game of snakes and ladders.
great result in newry, horrid today.

the only point I would add is that over the years, I have found louth to be a team which needs to lead early if they are to win.....when they beat us in the championship and more recently two years ago in the league they amassed big leads and we never were in the hunt. when louth fall behind , they a rarely make a comeback.
therefore starting our best forwards in the hope of establishing an early lead was important against this opposition.....bringing on donie and evan when the damage was done failed to rescue the situation.

it is easy to be wise after the event.....looking ahead to Sligo next sunday.....our problem against them over the years has been discipline(keeping 15 on the field), if we address this aspect in advance of next sunday we can win that game.

Don Draper

Quote from: welcomehome on February 02, 2019, 09:43:48 PM
Just back from croke park,really dont no what to say..There was no one u could say played good,except maybe brody..Hopefully its just an off day,we certainly  got a wake up call today..I cannot understand why donie evan and begley dont start,i would love to know who in there right mind put this match in croke park.THE TEAMS CAME OUT TO AN EMPTY STADIUM...
We put it in Croke Park

Don Draper

Quote from: Laoiseabu on February 02, 2019, 10:03:42 PM
Quote from: Jd on February 02, 2019, 08:35:28 PM
Pay no heed to fools like that . ''Twas a bad day that's all I think you'll see that vast majority on here have full confidence in JS and his management team
I'm not a fool. It was his decision not to start our three best players. I'm stating my opinion . I know the truth hurts but someone has to point it out. We are fooling ourselves if we think Donie Evan and Colm shouldn't be starting . Those three  players were the reason we got a victory in Newry.
Evan needs minding
Donie is recovering from a virus
Colm is returning from injury

Why flog them in a league match a risk worse injury and log term absence?

You're being quite foolish here. We need to develop new leaders and new players.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: Don Draper on February 02, 2019, 10:26:41 PM
Quote from: Laoiseabu on February 02, 2019, 10:03:42 PM
Quote from: Jd on February 02, 2019, 08:35:28 PM
Pay no heed to fools like that . ''Twas a bad day that's all I think you'll see that vast majority on here have full confidence in JS and his management team
I'm not a fool. It was his decision not to start our three best players. I'm stating my opinion . I know the truth hurts but someone has to point it out. We are fooling ourselves if we think Donie Evan and Colm shouldn't be starting . Those three  players were the reason we got a victory in Newry.
Evan needs minding
Donie is recovering from a virus
Colm is returning from injury

Why flog them in a league match a risk worse injury and log term absence?

You're being quite foolish here. We need to develop new leaders and new players.

That's the most sensible thing you have said in a long time Don.. Congrats..  ;D

Firstly, reasons why we should have been able to win this game.
(1) Louth have officially the worst league record in the country losing their last ten matches in the league which includes the defeat to Tipp in the 2017 Division 3 league final.
(2) Louth have not won a match in Croke Park since beating Westmeath in the Division 3 final in 2011.
(3) Louth were 14/1 with the bookies not to win a game in Div 3.
(4) Since the beginning of last year Louth have only won two O'Byrne cup games.

Evan is in danger of being burnt out before the championship starts so it was a good decision to rest him until needed. Playing lads who are injured is not a good idea especially when we have a panel of lads who need game time. I thought Mark Timmons was badly missed today, we needed some experience in the defence and I think if Kevin Meaney was there he would have strengthened our midfield when Lillis got his walking papers.

Its still a learning curve for both players and management and I have no doubt they will all learn from this regarding attitude, commitment and keeping focused on the game in hand and not on previous results.
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

High Fielder

Alarm bell one. Our two midfielders were giving away a lot of height. Long kicks meaningless. Alarm bell two. Two inexperienced and nervy defenders left isolated without a sweeper. Alarm bell three. One of their forwards clearly rinsing one of our inexperienced backs and creating the perfect conditions for incoming attackers. Tackling powderpuff. Support play the stuff of negligence. Lads not tuned in and watching their team mates getting bottled up time after time. Just one of those performances that make you think that we made a fortune backing Louth at whatever ridiculous price they were. We can't be that bad and I know we're not but yet I can't understand what the hell happened today. I know we have lads playing who are a long way off what is needed even in the lower Divisions

Tony

Hard to put your finger on a performance like that; I thought there were poor performances lacking urgency all around the field, apart from Brody, Begley, Attride and Ross in the first half. HOWEVER, it's a league match at the start of February and I wouldn't be getting carried away one way or another, just like post Down victory last week. It's hard to know where we stand currently, we'll only know that come end of league / championship time.

However, one thing I do know is that the starting championship team will likely look VASTLY different to the one starting yesterday. I thought we lacked pace yesterday which was a killer, and I thought we lacked experience in VITAL areas. Anyway, it was valuable experience for a lot of lads like Piggott, Murphy, Nerney etc and it will bring those lads on a lot, and I think all the newer faces need and deserve a lot more time.

My team for the end of League / start of Championship looks something like this -

Brody

Healy/Seale      Timmons      Dillon
   Attride              Begley         Lillis

JOL  Quigley/Meaney

Boyle          Donie        Damien O' Connor/Byrne
    P Kingston   Evan O' C     Colm Murphy / Cahilane

I know there are hardly any new faces there and that's an ageing team, but you have to go with your best 15 for C'ship, and, I see that being our best team come April or May. Plenty of size and decent pace in important areas. I still think there's a lot of potential in the likes of Nerney, Piggott, Byrne etc and there is a lot of competition for places / room for new lads to step up and claim their place. I just think that's the best we have in 2019; still mostly the old guard. Still life in them all yet, though, in my opinion.

O moore parklife

Quote from: Tony on February 03, 2019, 09:28:15 AM
Hard to put your finger on a performance like that; I thought there were poor performances lacking urgency all around the field, apart from Brody, Begley, Attride and Ross in the first half. HOWEVER, it's a league match at the start of February and I wouldn't be getting carried away one way or another, just like post Down victory last week. It's hard to know where we stand currently, we'll only know that come end of league / championship time.

However, one thing I do know is that the starting championship team will likely look VASTLY different to the one starting yesterday. I thought we lacked pace yesterday which was a killer, and I thought we lacked experience in VITAL areas. Anyway, it was valuable experience for a lot of lads like Piggott, Murphy, Nerney etc and it will bring those lads on a lot, and I think all the newer faces need and deserve a lot more time.

My team for the end of League / start of Championship looks something like this -

Brody

Healy/Seale      Timmons      Dillon
   Attride              Begley         Lillis

JOL  Quigley/Meaney

Boyle          Donie        Damien O' Connor/Byrne
    P Kingston   Evan O' C     Colm Murphy / Cahilane

I know there are hardly any new faces there and that's an ageing team, but you have to go with your best 15 for C'ship, and, I see that being our best team come April or May. Plenty of size and decent pace in important areas. I still think there's a lot of potential in the likes of Nerney, Piggott, Byrne etc and there is a lot of competition for places / room for new lads to step up and claim their place. I just think that's the best we have in 2019; still mostly the old guard. Still life in them all yet, though, in my opinion.

Great logical post makings of a battle hardened team there alright id much rather give young lads game time and potentially put out a "weaker" team and have them blooded for high intensity matches in Leinster and beyond

Butch Cassidy

Good post Tony but i worry abou the pace on that team around the middle. The only one with natural pace on the half back line/midfield/ half forward line is Attride. The way the game has gone pace and power are essential and it's a big weakness on our team. Farrell and Damien O'Connor have good pace so can see them starting

on the hop

Quote from: High Fielder on February 03, 2019, 12:32:52 AM
Alarm bell one. Our two midfielders were giving away a lot of height. Long kicks meaningless. Alarm bell two. Two inexperienced and nervy defenders left isolated without a sweeper. Alarm bell three. One of their forwards clearly rinsing one of our inexperienced backs and creating the perfect conditions for incoming attackers. Tackling powderpuff. Support play the stuff of negligence. Lads not tuned in and watching their team mates getting bottled up time after time. Just one of those performances that make you think that we made a fortune backing Louth at whatever ridiculous price they were. We can't be that bad and I know we're not but yet I can't understand what the hell happened today. I know we have lads playing who are a long way off what is needed even in the lower Divisions

My thoughts exactly. The management for some reason have not developed any sort of kick out strategy other than lumping it on jol the majority of the time. Even after losing Lillis we still aimed everything at him. With their height advantage they just broke ball off him. Most teams work kick outs for a high retention return, ours seemed to be 50/50.

Giovanni

Wasn't at this match yesterday but, in fairness, I thought they had clearly worked on kick outs for the down match. I doubt if they abandoned all that yesterday.

on the hop

Down beat Sligo, Offaly and Longford draw. Do we go with the strongest team next week against Sligo, or do we stick with what we are doing. Vital game already in a tight division

les Antiques

Good question . Bound to be changes with Lillis suspended and can't see Evan playing  if he is involved in Siegerson this Wednesday and again possibly the following Wednesday. Looks like he'll miss stick with Piggot at centre back for the league anyway and start Begley midfield against Sligo .
Quigley a long way off and Meaney a bit of the pace still .
Can see Cahillane starting next week . I wonder the extent of Sean Byrnes injury !?

Nameless

They say you learn more in defeat and I think that was the case yesterday. It's clear that we have huge issues with pace. Especially around the middle. We saw it against Down but it was exposed by Louth. We just haven't got the speed to keep up with runners from deep. Do we have players to come in who can change this? I'm not sure. We have some pacier players who lack a bit of power on the panel while also having players with power who lack pace.
I thought Nerney did quite well and Seale and Campion did well enough considering they were left 1v1 most of the time. However, it's unlikely any of them will be starting if injuries clear up. Piggot has some qualities, he's strong, a tight enough marker. I don't like to be critical but maybe he lacks a bit of quality when in possession. I think Begley is our centre back and he's vital for us there. Attride hasn't been at his best. The other wing position is up for grabs. Maybe drop O'Connor back or try out Buggie, Kelly, Crowley, Collins, when injuries/sigerson cup clear up. Or Scully who looked ok when he was on.
Midfield is a bit of an issue. As has been pointed out, fielding and pace are the concerns. Better movement on kick outs can help the first part and can be worked on. Like others, it'd be nice to see what Meaney can do. Again, I don't want to be critical but although Boyle is a good passer, he just lacks the agility needed at this level. Wing forwards need to be extremely athletic, have huge engines to go back and forward for the game. Again, not sure we have anyone like that. Byrne deserves another run. Maybe O'Reilly should be given a go. We'll probably try Kingston at centre forward again. Maybe it's the virus but he was struggling after a few runs yesterday. Cahilane could be trialled if we're using our 11 as a creator. Paul Kingston hasn't started the league well. Ross played well but was dispossessed too easily on a few occasions. Murphy found it a bit tougher but we should stick with him.
We shouldn't be getting too carried away with anything. The league is for trying things out and seeing if players can fit into what Sugrue is trying to do. I don't mind if none of the big guns start. Let other players stand up and prove themselves if they have it in them. There's a big panel there who have been training extremely hard. Let's see what they can do. It'd be nice to get promoted but finding out what we have available is more important. Survival in division 3 will be enough after that.

Unlaoised

Complacency was the biggest factor on Saturday .

It came from the manager with the team selection and filtered through the players ..

I've no doubt we will thump Sligo the next day ..

Not going to criticise too many but I'd only give pass marks to munnelly Boyle Brody Begley Scilly was unlucky to be taken back off.

The train on the way home was a sober one with the rugger heads crying into their beer aswell
LAOIS ABÚ

Don Draper

Quote from: Unlaoised on February 04, 2019, 10:41:30 AM
Complacency was the biggest factor on Saturday .

It came from the manager with the team selection and filtered through the players ..

I've no doubt we will thump Sligo the next day ..

Not going to criticise too many but I'd only give pass marks to munnelly Boyle Brody Begley Scilly was unlucky to be taken back off.

The train on the way home was a sober one with the rugger heads crying into their beer aswell
What was wrong with the team selection?