?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

general_lee

Quote from: Angelo on November 27, 2020, 09:00:05 AM
Lennon was an average player who was blessed to play for Celtic.

He's a sub-standard manager who should never have been appointed as Celtic manager.

And now he's refusing to do the honourable thing and resign.

Celtic legend my arse.
Right we get it, you hate him

Applesisapples

Quote from: marty34 on November 25, 2020, 11:12:26 PM
People are giving out about the GB for doing this - the point is that this year is the year in a lifetime i.e. the 10 in a row. Probably never to get a chance again.

Time is of the essence - the GB are not going to hang about until March and then say, right Lennon, you should go.  Too late at that stage to save 10iar.

Any other season, this might rumble on but time is of the essence this year.
Look, they've endured 9 years of pain and shit and to be fair to many Rangers fans they've stuck with them you can dislike their politics and antics but credit where its due.

Applesisapples

Shane Duffy has taken a lot of shit in the past weeks for his displays. But it is obvious from last night that the problem is not the centre backs but a gutless misfield led by Scott Brown who is a shadow of the player he was.

Itchy

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 27, 2020, 09:23:17 AM
Shane Duffy has taken a lot of shit in the past weeks for his displays. But it is obvious from last night that the problem is not the centre backs but a gutless misfield led by Scott Brown who is a shadow of the player he was.

I said that weeks ago, midfield players and set ups is the big problem. They are not near good enough.

straightred

He's a sub-standard manager who should never have been appointed as Celtic manager.

Celtic legend my arse.

I'm not going to be as harsh but there are some home truths here. He was unemployed when Celtic came calling. Yes he stepped up when he was asked to but at some point the debt for that runs out. In my opinion he should have been replaced in the summer as he is nowhere near good enough. If he was he wouldn't have been unemployed. The nucleus of the team are fine but the coaching is awful. Is it a coincidence that this has got worse since Duff left ? That squad could win the league even still with proper coaching. That will never happen under Lennon

After the 4-1 home game to Prague I was sure he was gone but I was wrong. I'm waking up this morning thinking surely now he has to go but again he may not. Its almost as if the Board don't want to win the 10

straightred

Just stop. I thought Duffy would be a great signing but he has been really poor. I can now see why he wasn't getting a game in England. Just because the players around him aren't performing doesn't give him a free pass. Ajer was awful last night but Duffy has been just as awful in other games.

illdecide

We're in trouble, there's no doubt on that. Lennon's time is up at CP and even he knows it, people are saying hand the letter in and walk away but how many of you would walk away from your own job right now? Wise up. It's Peter's decision to make and i'd say there have been a few secret meetings held regarding his position. Some tools are now even criticising Lennon as a player which i suppose just shows how much of a hateful, spiteful good for feck all tosspot they are but it doesn't surprise any of us one bit.

Celtic are playing no where near what they're capable off and that's down to the management because it's just not one or two individuals but the team collectively and if management can't sort that out (which is their job) then it's game over, it hasn't helped that we've just played something like 8 outta the last 9 games away from home but we still should be better. Where do we go from here? and if PL sacks him soon then who do they bring in? I've no doubt they've an eye on a few and have probably already approached someone and i doubt very much it'll be any of those silly English names that have been floating about here...The next few day's and week will be interesting
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Angelo

Quote from: general_lee on November 27, 2020, 09:02:23 AM

Celtic legend my arse.
Right we get it, you hate him

I don't hate him.

He was an average players and is a below average manager.

They are just facts.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

illdecide

One thing to add that seems to keep coming up is Lennon unemployed when Celtic came calling...The move to Celtic from Hibs was engineered on purpose that way (FACT), PL knew BR was leaving before it was announced and Lennon was poached from Hibs and he created that situation at Hibs to make it an easy transition to Celtic. Do you all really think that it was a coincidence that Lennon happened to be free when BR left...C'mon (I know this for fact). Please only sensible respond to this BTW.

Angelo

Quote from: straightred on November 27, 2020, 10:17:32 AM

Just stop. I thought Duffy would be a great signing but he has been really poor. I can now see why he wasn't getting a game in England. Just because the players around him aren't performing doesn't give him a free pass. Ajer was awful last night but Duffy has been just as awful in other games.

Whatever about Duffy, we haven't got any better since he left.

I think we have a very talented playing squad, in light of a pandemic and football clubs across Europe cutting costs. For the first season in well over a decade I can say Celtic actually showed a little bit of ambition in their transfer dealings. We didn't sell any of our key men and spent a bit on Barkas, Turnbull and Ajeti along with a few expensive loan deals, even after losing the CL money.

There can be no excuses for Lennon. He's just not up to the job and as much as people want to pedal all the excuses in the world for him, it's so obvious, it was obvious long, long ago. Rodgers left this clubs in good stead, he turned around the fortunes of so many players and the development of what they were when he started out to when he left was very obvious. The regression in these players is so, so obvious now and that's what happen when you cheapskate on a managerial appointment.

Lennon left Celtic and had unsuccessful spells with Bolton and Hibs before coming back. Where do you guys honestly think he will end up next? He's a sentimental appointment and is out of his depth in a job this magnitude. If his name was Ronny Deila he'd have been chased months back.

straightred

Quote from: illdecide on November 27, 2020, 10:21:57 AM
We're in trouble, there's no doubt on that. Lennon's time is up at CP and even he knows it, people are saying hand the letter in and walk away but how many of you would walk away from your own job right now? Wise up. It's Peter's decision to make and i'd say there have been a few secret meetings held regarding his position. Some tools are now even criticising Lennon as a player which i suppose just shows how much of a hateful, spiteful good for feck all tosspot they are but it doesn't surprise any of us one bit.

Celtic are playing no where near what they're capable off and that's down to the management because it's just not one or two individuals but the team collectively and if management can't sort that out (which is their job) then it's game over, it hasn't helped that we've just played something like 8 outta the last 9 games away from home but we still should be better. Where do we go from here? and if PL sacks him soon then who do they bring in? I've no doubt they've an eye on a few and have probably already approached someone and i doubt very much it'll be any of those silly English names that have been floating about here...The next few day's and week will be interesting

Agree completely regarding the comments on Lennon the player. Its irrelevant. I'm (probably in the the minority) one who thinks we can turn this around. I still believe that our squad is good enough but only if they are prepared much better and if we get the best 11 on the pitch. That means a lot less time for Brown but that's live - time waits for no-one. The tribute act will have a bad patch and we all know that slippy can't handle pressure. Having said that I don't think a Lennon team would beat them. He has clearly lost the players and therefore has to go, hopefully this week.

Angelo

Criticising him as a player?

He was average, that's not criticism, that's just the truth.

A couple of goals in a few hundred appearances while carrying a pot belly about. You'll notice there were not too many big teams coming in for Lennon when he was a Celtic player.

If you thought he was anything above average then I'd seriously question your knowledge of the game.

ned

Quote from: Angelo on November 27, 2020, 11:04:01 AM

Criticising him as a player?

He was average, that's not criticism, that's just the truth.

A couple of goals in a few hundred appearances while carrying a pot belly about. You'll notice there were not too many big teams coming in for Lennon when he was a Celtic player.

If you thought he was anything above average then I'd seriously question your knowledge of the game.

FFS man! You don't understand football if you think lack of goals is a good reason to criticise NL as a player.
He was a vital piece of a midfield at that time. Whether he was a good player or not, is not relevant to his inability as a manager.

illdecide

I'd say Henrik Larsson was well qualified to say that he always preferred NL in the team than not. MON paid was it like £6m for him but what did he know about football. Played supposedly in the best league in the world and done rightly. Captained his Country (wouldn't blow about that one TBF). Not bad for a crap player...Wish i was as crap as that

illdecide

Celtic: What now for Neil Lennon after another Sparta Prague humiliation?

Talk, unlike certain centre-halves, is cheap. When Christopher Jullien sprang to Neil Lennon's defence in the wake of Thursday night's debacle in Prague, he showed the kind of certainty that was sadly lacking in the 90 minutes that went before.

Celtic fans would have been entitled to say that had the Frenchman and chums been as impressive with a Sparta Prague player in front of them instead of a microphone then the club might not have experienced another in a lengthening line of mortifying experiences.

When backing his manger, Jullien became the latest Celtic player to speak up, Scott Brown and others having done the same. The champions' dressing room has become a bit of a talking shop these days. All words and little action.

They're all at it. When Sparta came to Glasgow earlier this month and won 4-1, Lennon said this had to be the end of soft-touch Celtic. "This is a turning point," he said. "It won't happen again, that's for sure." Twenty days, and three games, later, it happened again. Once more, Lennon is left to sift through a wreckage in an attempt to find something of value. It's not a pretty sight.

So much of what he said on Thursday night was desperate. He didn't think they deserved to lose 4-1. Actually, defending the way they did, 4-1 was fair enough. When Lennon talked up his team's performance for 35 minutes of the second half it was the ultimate in straw-clutching. Well, perhaps not the ultimate. There was reference, too, of the impact that playing in empty stadiums was having on his players. They were "missing the atmosphere," he said. Making allowances for failure is not a good look.

Lennon said his team have been in a situation like this before and that they turned it around. He was talking about the 2-1 loss to Rangers at Celtic Park last season, a reverse that did, indeed, see many people question the mettle of his team. Those questions were met with an emphatic answer on the run-in.

The situation now is very different, however. Last season, Celtic had the kind of credit in the bank that they don't have now. Before that December loss to Rangers they had won 16 of their previous 17 games. They'd beaten Lazio home and away, they'd defeated Rennes, they'd won the League Cup final against Rangers with 10 men, they'd scored 45 goals and conceded only nine.

Currently they're on a run of 21 goals conceded in nine games. Many of those goals were calamities perpetrated by an array of different people. One of the things Lennon said on Thursday night that was unarguable was that Celtic are "lacking in confidence". When he followed up by saying he was scratching his head trying to figure out why that's the case it was a moment of honesty that revealed weakness. Lennon did not come across as a manager in command.

It's not just the most vocal who want him out now. For weeks if not months, there's been a venom about some of the criticism directed at him by small elements of the Celtic support. It's been nasty and wholly unwarranted. He's deserved better than the bitter invective from these cyber warriors.

The majority of fans have been far more circumspect, their analysis measured. Lennon is losing more and more of these people. They'll admire him forever for what he's done over two decades as player and manager but they've lost faith in his ability to take this team further. The case for the prosecution is weighty and getting weightier by the week.

Desmond facing big decision
How much does this matter? That's the question. Ultimately Dermot Desmond, the majority shareholder, will make the decision to stick or twist on the managerial front. Peter Lawwell, the chief executive, will be heavily involved, but Desmond is the one who pulls the strings.

Trying to second-guess what Desmond is thinking is a bit of a challenge. He's not a man who makes a habit of revealing things to journalists. Famously, in a response to a critical column in the Irish Times, he sent the writer in question an extract from the poem, Still I Rise, by Maya Angelou...

Does my sexiness upset you?

Does it come as a surprise

That I dance like I've got diamonds

At the meeting of my thighs?

With all due respect to what Desmond has between his thighs, it's what he's got between his ears that Celtic fans will be wondering about. He rarely does interviews, but he did speak to The Athletic in September, when Celtic were in the midst of an eight-game winning run. His words predate the current crisis, but they're the only thing we've got in terms of trying to figure out what the main man might be thinking.

Talking about the loss to Rangers last December and the club's refusal to panic, he said: "That's what's so good at Celtic. We're unified, we don't have recriminations, we're not here to fire somebody or blame someone, we take collective responsibility."

If that's still how he feels then Lennon is going to be given more time to put things right. Desmond then spoke about the character of his manager. "You underestimate Lenny at your peril," he said. "He's a very intelligent individual. He's got great awareness and integrity."

You can absolutely see where Desmond is coming from. Lennon has overcome an awful lot in his life. He's been subjected to sectarian abuse, physical attacks in the street and deeply sinister plots in the post. He took over as manager after the dejection of the Tony Mowbray era and made a huge success of the job. He took over again when Brendan Rodgers walked out and won every trophy he was asked to win while knowing that a high percentage of fans didn't really want him there.

Manager in unchartered territory
This is different, though. This is two wins from nine games. This is 21 goals conceded in rapid order. This is an early exit from the Champions League and another early exit from the Europa League. This is a widening gap between themselves and Rangers. This is a collection of players who are mired in mediocrity and slapstick. This is a support who have lost confidence.

Desmond and Lawwell are loyal to Lennon, but how far does that loyalty stretch? At snapping point or still plenty of elastic left? Very few people know the truth of that. They were grateful to him for answering the call when Rodgers left. They were appreciative of him steadying the ship and steering home title number eight. They were thrilled for him when he delivered title number nine. They will want to give him every chance of making it 10.

Banners and social media outrage will not influence Desmond all that much. In his business life he doesn't have a reputation for bowing to public pressure. If anything, he rails against it. The more the fans say that Lennon must go, the more he may think that Lennon must stay.

There has to be a limit on loyalty, though. Domestically, Celtic play Ross County (in the League Cup on Sunday) then St Johnstone, Kilmarnock, Hearts (the Scottish Cup final), Ross County again, Hamilton and Dundee United before the next Old Firm game. We might not know Desmond's and Lawwell's mindset, but you don't have to be Nostradamus to figure out that a slip in any of those games could be fatal.

Lennon is wrong when he says he's been here before. He hasn't. He's in unchartered territory now.