Books

Started by 5 Sams, June 09, 2007, 02:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc_grens

Quote from: The Iceman on August 25, 2010, 08:23:38 PM
Read "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and have to say it was a great read, one of the best I've read in a year or so. It was slow to start but grabbed you by the throat and pulled you in after about 100 pages.
Reading the second book now of the series and it's not as good but still excellently written.

I thought the second was the best of the three... stick with it, it gets considerably better.

Hardy

Yes - a great trilogy, excellently written. I haven't enjoyed a mystery thriller as much in a long time. Looking forward to the films as soon as herself has finished the books.

muppet

Quote from: haranguerer on August 25, 2010, 03:37:21 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 25, 2010, 02:16:07 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on August 25, 2010, 01:56:58 PM
Quote from: muppet on April 03, 2010, 12:04:06 PM
Quote from: Aerlik on April 03, 2010, 06:35:39 AM
Quote from: magickingdom on April 01, 2010, 09:28:22 PM
reading 'Nine Lives' by David Courtney a helicopter pilot in the irish air corp., doing a lot of search and rescue work. super book, well written by a guy who takes time to appreciate where he is. he grew up in tullamore of c of i stock, his dad having served in the british army in world war 2. some great stories there of president robinson visiting the aran islands and a trip with charlie to his blasket island home. the book would make you proud to be irish with guys like him around

heres a review by kevin myres (cant believe i agree with him!)

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/kevin-myers/birdseye-view-of-a-rescuer-who-flew-in-the-face-of-fear-1482558.html

Flying a plane in shite weather is tricky enough but a helicopter is many times more difficult due to its designed 'instability'.  I was watching Trawlermen a few weeks back and it was described as the most dangerous job in Britain.  Well, one of the fishermen had to be rescued from a boat 100miles out to sea.  No mention of the danger in flying the chopper!

This frequently accomplished with serious fuel shortages also if the boat is far enough out. Often they have enough fuel for say 15 minutes at the rescue.Tough decisions have to be made if the rescue isn't complete with 13 or 14 minutes of that time elapsed.

I suppose you'd just have to say 'Sure I'll give it another minute or two...'

It has often happened that they had to ditch the helicopter due to lack of fuel. It happened in the book 'The Perfect Storm' which was real rather than the film which was not.

But if they had enough fuel for 15 minutes at the rescue, then after 13 or 14 minutes the decision wouldn't be that tough - just give it another minute or two... ;)

So do you lower the winch-man at 13 mins or not? What about 14 mins?
MWWSI 2017

Tony Baloney

Quote from: mc_grens on August 25, 2010, 08:27:42 PM
Read "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and have to say it was a great read, one of the best I've read in a year or so. It was slow to start but grabbed you by the throat and pulled you in after about 100 pages.
Reading the second book now of the series and it's not as good but still excellently written.

I thought the second was the best of the three... stick with it, it gets considerably better.
Just finished the trilogy there last week and would agree the second book is best in my opinion but they are all very good and make an excellent trilogy(£9 off amazon - bargain!)

I liked the Swedish version of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo but I fear the Hollywood version just won't do the books justice.

Zapatista

I'm making good progress on it now. Really enjoying it.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Hardy on August 25, 2010, 09:07:08 PM
Yes - a great trilogy, excellently written. I haven't enjoyed a mystery thriller as much in a long time. Looking forward to the films as soon as herself has finished the books.

The (Swedish) movies aren't bad at all - they don't have the depth of the books, but enjoyable romps nonetheless. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Banana Man

Don't know if been posted before as I couldn't be arsed trawling back through but Tucker Max 'I hope they serve beer in hell' has to be the funniest book i have ever read in my entire life

if you haven't heard of him, google him - some of the stories are  :o

tyrone girl

I see overthebar mentioned the same book in last page - gona order it of amazon here now. Could do with a laugh

Banana Man

so he did, show's how lazy I am, didn't even go back one page  :D

it is a pure scream though, definitley order it!

Aerlik

Appropriately at a time when the two biggest religions are being hammered for the antics/vices of some their clergy, I'm reading Jon Krakouer's so-far excellent look at Mormonism, it's creation and its rise in influence in north America.  Entitled "Under the banner of Heaven", it is one serious eye opener.  Will be interesting when they next come knocking on my door. ;)
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Zapatista

Quote from: Aerlik on August 26, 2010, 12:38:56 PM
Appropriately at a time when the two biggest religions are being hammered for the antics/vices of some their clergy, I'm reading Jon Krakouer's so-far excellent look at Mormonism, it's creation and its rise in influence in north America.  Entitled "Under the banner of Heaven", it is one serious eye opener.  Will be interesting when they next come knocking on my door. ;)

:D

FFS Aerlik yer not planning to ambush some poor Mormons are ye?

Pricless :D

Aerlik

Quote from: Zapatista on August 26, 2010, 02:51:20 PM
Quote from: Aerlik on August 26, 2010, 12:38:56 PM

:D

FFS Aerlik yer not planning to ambush some poor Mormons are ye?

Pricless :D

I've already got the questions from Doctrine & Covenants set up. ;)
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

The Iceman

Quote from: mc_grens on August 25, 2010, 08:27:42 PM

It was very slow now in fairness but I'm about 50 pages form the end and can't wait to finish it on the train ride home later!
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Hardy

I'd never have believed in advance that the most compelling fictional character I'd come across in a decade would be a semi-autistic, bisexual, violent, body-pierced and multi-tattooed girl genius.

Schkite

Quote from: Banana Man on August 26, 2010, 09:40:46 AM
Don't know if been posted before as I couldn't be arsed trawling back through but Tucker Max 'I hope they serve beer in hell' has to be the funniest book i have ever read in my entire life

if you haven't heard of him, google him - some of the stories are  :o

Read that alright, very funny book. Could be mostly bullshit but it's entertaining so who cares!