Books

Started by 5 Sams, June 09, 2007, 02:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billys Boots

Quote from: Hardy on November 07, 2012, 11:15:39 AM
Thanks for that, Billy. Yes - I don't understand why we're barred from Kindle on Amazon UK. There must be some sinister conspiracy theory that we haven't thought of.

Yes I'm using that obvious exclusion from britbooks to justify my downloading free copies of books from my rapidshare account - equal rights for Irish readers!! 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Billys Boots on November 07, 2012, 11:06:29 AM
Just downloaded that book Billy's, will give it a read.

Tell us what you think Harold!

Hardy, I read 'Empire - Niall Ferguson' about a year ago - it was an extremely interesting read although Ferguson is a big Britishness enthusiast. 

http://www.amazon.com/Empire-Britain-Modern-World-ebook/dp/B00936RSAW/ref=sr_1_cc_3?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1352286324&sr=1-3-catcorr&keywords=empire+niall+ferguson

Sorry about the amazon.com links, but the uk f*ckers won't sell kindle books to Paddies, for some reason.
Works perfectly for me... (awaits comment from Laoislad)

Billys Boots

Being a little idle at lunchtime I launched a broadside at amazon.co.uk for their stupidity (sinister conspiracy) in not allowing Irish customers to buy ebooks from thier website.  I got a customer response thanking me for my query and informing me that Ireland is not part of the UK.  So there!

Hardy

Jaysus I never thought of that explanation!

Billys Boots

Quote from: Hardy on November 07, 2012, 03:08:49 PM
Jaysus I never thought of that explanation!

I have a feeling that this nugget of wisdom came all the way from Bangalore.   ::)

Hardy

Have fun in your exchange discussing  why we can buy hardcopy books from amazon.co.uk but not Kindle books. And how it makes sense to restrict commerce on a nationality basis on the generally boundary-blind interweb, while ignoring it for commerce in hard goods.

Billys Boots

I'll keep you posted; am looking forward to this now. :)

Main Street

Can you purchase Kindle books from amazon.com?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Main Street on November 07, 2012, 03:34:28 PM
I think it depends on the domain on which you initially regitser the Kindle so should be possible. Someone will no doubt prove this wrong!

Hardy

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 07, 2012, 03:38:41 PM
I think it depends on the domain on which you initially regitser the Kindle so should be possible. Someone will no doubt prove this wrong!

That's probably it, come to think of it. Though why it should be restricted, I don't know. Different pricing in US and UK, I suppose, which probably means I'm doing better to be with Amazon.com.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 07, 2012, 03:38:41 PM

I can, but it's awful.  None of the European books are ever on offer, and some/most of the US stuff is unspeakable.   

Before I had the kindle I had an amazon.co.uk account (which also works on the amazon.com site, but it was on the UK one first), and that's the account i use on the kindle now - so it's not that. 

AZOffaly

So you can't buy books off Amazon.co.uk, because Ireland is not in the UK. OK.
But you can buy books off Amazon.com, which is based in the USA. Hmmm.

Did anyone try Amazon.de?

Billys Boots

Eh, they're in German ...  :P

AQMP

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 07, 2012, 03:45:51 PM
So you can't buy books off Amazon.co.uk, because Ireland is not in the UK. OK.
But you can buy books off Amazon.com, which is based in the USA. Hmmm.

Did anyone try Amazon.de?

Nein times.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Billys Boots on November 07, 2012, 03:59:20 PM
Eh, they're in German ...  :P
I know that, but maybe we're not in the UK, but we are in Germany :)