The vaccine rollout

Started by Smurfy123, December 30, 2020, 09:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Quote from: whitegoodman on January 16, 2021, 08:25:51 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on January 16, 2021, 04:25:45 PM
Quote from: Ty4Sam on January 16, 2021, 03:48:05 PM
International travel for me will be interesting in the future. Case numbers will increase as we ease restrictions, albeit there will be less people dying and needing hospital care as the vaccine works. The more people get covid, the more chance of variants evolving around the world. I don't think a Vaccine passport will cut it, as travellers although showing no symptoms may still be carrying Covid from country to country. I can see the need for a negative test before travel remaining for quite a while, will these be free or will governments see it as an opportunity to make money? Variants are very much the enemy here, lately we have seen scientists/health officials talking about them a lot more and there is obviously a reason for that. We have missed a huge opportunity at the beginning of this to follow the New Zealand model, will they stay with this model until here immunity is achieved which could be years or will they open up the country again thus allowing the virus back in? Interesting times ahead.
Casedemics are irrelevant if the Health systems can cope relatively easily and deaths are minimal. Annoying as Angelo has been he's right about there being an acceptable level of death, that will be the Governments' call at some stage because this will not go on for longer than is necessary, I think we'll be forced back into a socially distanced, hand sanitising normality by Summer, I doubt we'll ever return to a pre-covid normal.

I've heard this from other people and it's an interesting take on things.  If everyone is vaccinated then do you not expect the pubs and clubs to be packed next Christmas ?  Or the local social club after a championship win? Or everyone dancing at a 300 crowd wedding reception?  I'm not saying you are wrong but it be a pretty depressing world if that's the way it turns out.

Sorry, I do think we will return to relative normality at some stage, but our behaviours & society will have changed forever, but that should be pretty normal in itself with life after a pandemic - lessons learned etc..

whitegoodman

Get what you mean now and agree.

JoG2

Rumour doing the rounds is that Covid vaccine supplies will run out by the end of next week.

Pfizer chiefs are predicting a riot

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JoG2 on January 16, 2021, 09:19:12 PM
Rumour doing the rounds is that Covid vaccine supplies will run out by the end of next week.

Link? Any news on Oxford running out?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trueblue1234

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 16, 2021, 10:27:29 PM

Lol
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 16, 2021, 10:27:29 PM

Hasta la victoria siempre

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

macdanger2

Quote from: armaghniac on January 16, 2021, 01:25:12 AM
There are reports of a US study that suggests the vaccine, or indeed protection from having had the dose, should last 3-5 years.
That would be OK and in 3 years for round 2 they have have a seriously good vaccine.

I'd have doubts about how they could conclude something like that - I just don't see how they'd have data to come to that 3-5 years estimate

armaghniac

Quote from: macdanger2 on January 18, 2021, 12:20:48 PM
There are reports of a US study that suggests the vaccine, or indeed protection from having had the dose, should last 3-5 years.
That would be OK and in 3 years for round 2 they have have a seriously good vaccine.

I'd have doubts about how they could conclude something like that - I just don't see how they'd have data to come to that 3-5 years estimate

They studied existing cold coronaviruses that were first cousins of this one. Not a perfect source of data but a reasonable one.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

trileacman

Quote from: armaghniac on January 18, 2021, 04:26:53 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on January 18, 2021, 12:20:48 PM

They studied existing cold coronaviruses that were first cousins of this one. Not a perfect source of data but a reasonable one.

The same cold coronavirus they could never make a vaccine for because the immunity only lasted a few months? The vaccine they spent 30 years trying and failing to make?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

bennydorano

What is going on with the EU and enacting Article 16 of the NI Protocol of the Brexit withdrawal agreement over Vaccines and backdoor entry to the UK? Irish Government not impressed at all by the sounds of it. NI well used to being a political football, surprised the altruistic EU has joined in.

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1355253347859787778?s=19

screenexile

Quote from: bennydorano on January 29, 2021, 09:10:00 PM
What is going on with the EU and enacting Article 16 of the NI Protocol of the Brexit withdrawal agreement over Vaccines and backdoor entry to the UK? Irish Government not impressed at all by the sounds of it. NI well used to being a political football, surprised the altruistic EU has joined in.

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1355253347859787778?s=19

They've totally fucked their vaccine rollout and now their scrambling around in the dark... even Macron's outburst about the AZ vaccine is madness.

They've lost the plot on this one big time it could have massive repercussions especially for North/South relations!

screenexile

They're taking it back... Martin must have been on the phone blowing a gasket all evening what a disaster!

Main Street

I'm with the EU,  anyway Nordies feed well on being betrayed and "incredible act of hostility".

bennydorano

Quote from: screenexile on January 29, 2021, 09:51:50 PM
They're taking it back... Martin must have been on the phone blowing a gasket all evening what a disaster!
Large redners all round