How times have changed...

Started by 5 Sams, November 27, 2008, 03:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandy Hill

Quote from: leenie on November 27, 2008, 06:04:06 PM
there does be an awful lot of shite posted which i usually by-pass...........

but that statement from down gael.....(though i could think of better names for him) "you reap what you sow" is sad and pathetic! disgusting

Agreed Leenie, it was low life stuff!
"Stercus accidit"

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Down Gael on November 27, 2008, 08:33:22 PM
I`ve never been on the OWC site, but I wonder do they have a thread offering condolonces to 4 dead policemen. I would seriously doubt it. A lot seems to have been made of the fact the two of the dead were members of the GAA. Yet at least one of those two hid the fact that he was a member of the police from his playing colleagues.

So what?

That says nothing at all about their abilities or about how THEY saw it.  I daresay they would have had a better assessment of their own situations than you did, and as another poster said the fact that they did hide it says more about you than them.

PSNI are changing though it will take time to get rid of all the bad apples who are still there from the days of the RUC... but it will happen, whether you like it or not.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

thejuice

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/orangemen-hail-mary-1556185.html

QuotePRESIDENT Mary McAleese yesterday became the first Irish head of state to visit an Orange hall, when she visited Brakey Orange Hall, just outside Bailieboro in Co Cavan.

Mrs McAleese told the 150-strong crowd at the lodge, which was rebuilt in 2004 following an arson attack in which it was badly damaged: "It's a good time and place to acknowledge how far we have come in the past 10 years, since signing the Good Friday Agreement, and to pledge that the journey of peace ... will continue."

On arrival with her husband, Martin, Mrs McAleese was met by Co Cavan Orange Grand Master Henry Latimer and other sash-clad dignitaries, including Co Monaghan Grand Master Robert Sturgeon.

"Be upstanding brethren, sisters, friends and special guests to receive the President of Ireland Mary McAleese," declared Mr Latimer to loud applause.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Evil Genius

Were some posts from yesterday excised from this thread? If so, by whom and for what reason?
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

full back

Quote from: Evil Genius on November 28, 2008, 11:22:59 AM
Were some posts from yesterday excised from this thread? If so, by whom and for what reason?

What makes you think posts were deleted?

Minder

Quote from: full back on November 28, 2008, 11:28:37 AM

Posts were deleted, i had one deleted. Any posts making reference to DownGaels disgraceful "you reap what you sow" comment about the gaa playing PSNI officer were removed. No mention from Mods if DownGael was reprimanded.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Evil Genius

As with Minder, above, I had a post deleted as well. It was a follow-up to a comment by Down Gael, though it was not personally abusive towards him/her, or in any way capable of upsetting anyone, nor capable of getting the Board into trouble. In fact, it was one of my most restrained efforts!

Normally I wouldn't mind such censorship too much - it sometimes has to be done. But I think it's unacceptable for the Mods not even to advise publicly that posts have been deleted from the middle of a thread, never mind give an explanation why, especially when otherwise unobjectionable posts are removed due to the actions of someone else entirely.

Imo, it doesn't do the reputation or credibility of the Board any good.

"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: Minder on November 28, 2008, 11:45:53 AM
Any posts making reference to DownGaels disgraceful "you reap what you sow" comment about the gaa playing PSNI officer were removed. No mention from Mods if DownGael was reprimanded.
My post was not actually in reply to the offending "you reap what you sow" remark. Rather, Down Gael had moved on to a more general point about the unacceptability of the PSNI, which prompted me to ask who he would ring if some night he heard someone breaking into his house etc.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Gabriel_Hurl

Listen EG - stop stirring shit!!!!!!!!

You know right well what comments were deleted. The sickening comments that a certain poster made were deleted along with the posts that alluded to it as well.

And by the way - you selectively quoted that post in question - like you usually do.

Hardy

I thought it was tit-for-tat deletions, just to make the Nordies feel at home.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on November 28, 2008, 02:42:12 PM
Listen EG - stop stirring shit!!!!!!!!

You know right well what comments were deleted. The sickening comments that a certain poster made were deleted along with the posts that alluded to it as well.

And by the way - you selectively quoted that post in question - like you usually do.

No, I don't know what comments were deleted; I only know that one of my own was deleted after I had logged off. There may have been more.
And I was hardly "shit-stirring", since I accepted that sometimes posts have to be deleted. Rather, what I was objecting to was that there was not even a simple "Posts deleted" message inserted by the Mods, never mind an explanation.
As for my so-called "selective" quotation, I did no such thing. Rather, I merely summarised it as best I could, seeing as I didn't have the full post(s) available. I do not consider I have distorted any meaning.
But now that you have latched onto me and my otherwise unobjectionable comment so sharply, I am beginning to wonder whether there is more to this censorship than mere distaste at Down Gael's comments?
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Gabriel_Hurl

I wish I could bother wasting my time with you - but I've better things to do

Evil Genius

I`ve never been on the OWC site, but I wonder do they have a thread offering condolonces to 4 dead policemen.
Yes they do.
I would seriously doubt it.
So you're happy to speculate from a position of complete ignorance, then?

For the record, the reaction on the OWC thread has been universally one of sadness and condolence. Some of the officers were personally known to some of our members. No distinction was made between any of the four dead men - all were mourned equally.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Evil Genius on November 28, 2008, 02:33:56 PM

As with Minder, above, I had a post deleted as well. It was a follow-up to a comment by Down Gael, though it was not personally abusive towards him/her, or in any way capable of upsetting anyone, nor capable of getting the Board into trouble. In fact, it was one of my most restrained efforts!

Normally I wouldn't mind such censorship too much - it sometimes has to be done. But I think it's unacceptable for the Mods not even to advise publicly that posts have been deleted from the middle of a thread, never mind give an explanation why, especially when otherwise unobjectionable posts are removed due to the actions of someone else entirely.

Oh no, whatever will we do  ::)
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Evil Genius

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 28, 2008, 07:02:24 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on November 28, 2008, 02:33:56 PM
Oh no, whatever will we do  ::)
I can't speak for others, but you might start by noting my use of "Imo"...
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"