Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

Very quiet in here. I'm quietly confident that we can shade this but afraid of a loss and what it could do to this batch of players. This is our best chance of an Ulster Final since 2009, if they cant do it now will they ever? Sincerely hope the players dont have the same trepidation.

Start Conroy instead of Oisin Kiernan and put him on frees. Get the defensive match ups right and get a performance from McVeety inside and we'll be in a good position. If someone gives McGeeney a good dunt of a shoulder at some point, great.

Itchy

U20s had another good win away to Derry today, 0-20 to 3-10 following on from their hammering of Louth. Looks to be some talent in that team.

Westside

Murray has probably done enough to take Gerry Smith's place for the replay. Uses his pace very well. Thought Paul Graham was very poor when he came on. Conor Brady added very little. Moynagh again showed great leadership and bad decision making.

It will be very interesting to see how we approach the replay.

Itchy

So there will be 2 places up for grabs on the panel now with Gerry Smith surely gone with his hamstring and Holla suspended. Holla is starting to look like the new Anthony Gaynor, not able to keep his cool and he will cost us dear some day if he doesnt sort himself out. Lashing out at a cynical diver like shields is only going to result in one thing.

It will be fascinating next week. We allowed a number of our big men to be wiped out. Contrary to Pat Spillanes commentary last night, I thought Gearoid was poor yesterday. I believe he was sick during the week so that might explain it. Not sure what was going on with Martin Reilly at Full Forward and why we never tried one high ball in on Thomas Galligan when he was FF. For me you need Martin out in the action areas making tackles and carrying the ball. I hope Caoimhin Reilly is doing enough to make the panel as I would have loved to see him involved for the last 10 minutes of extra time. Conor Brady struggled at midfield so we may need to look at something else there, maybe Martin Reilly on Jarleth Og Burns?

It is still there for us but we need to improve 20% I think.

mrdeeds

Quote from: Itchy on June 03, 2019, 11:29:43 AM
So there will be 2 places up for grabs on the panel now with Gerry Smith surely gone with his hamstring and Holla suspended. Holla is starting to look like the new Anthony Gaynor, not able to keep his cool and he will cost us dear some day if he doesnt sort himself out. Lashing out at a cynical diver like shields is only going to result in one thing.

It will be fascinating next week. We allowed a number of our big men to be wiped out. Contrary to Pat Spillanes commentary last night, I thought Gearoid was poor yesterday. I believe he was sick during the week so that might explain it. Not sure what was going on with Martin Reilly at Full Forward and why we never tried one high ball in on Thomas Galligan when he was FF. For me you need Martin out in the action areas making tackles and carrying the ball. I hope Caoimhin Reilly is doing enough to make the panel as I would have loved to see him involved for the last 10 minutes of extra time. Conor Brady struggled at midfield so we may need to look at something else there, maybe Martin Reilly on Jarleth Og Burns?

It is still there for us but we need to improve 20% I think.

Do you start Mackey or use him off bench?

Itchy

Westside

Agree with you there Itchy on Gearoid and Martin Reilly. Why would you put Reilly inside and limit his possessions when his biggest strength is carrying ball and making penetrating runs and passes?

I would love to know what Mickey sees that we dont that would put Oisin Pierson ahead of Caoimhin in the pecking order. Genuinely interested.

Itchy

What a great day yesterday was. If you told me at the start of the year we would pretty much go into Ulster championship playing man for man football and beat Monaghan and Armagh doing it I would have thought you were crazy. It was a fantastic game yesterday. Our big players really stood up. Clarke was outstanding, McVetty unmarkable, Moynagh stuck in everything. Some of McVeety's points were top drawer marquee forward stuff. Mackey and Stephen Murray brought danger onto the field from Armagh perspective.

I thought though our backs did ok transitioning from defence to forwards that they were really struggling with Armaghs direct running. How they dont start Campbell I dont know as we couldnt deal with him at all and when Jamie Clarke started firing we struggled too. I suppose that's the price you pay when you play that style of football. Can we do the same against Donegal? I am not so sure.

Galligan had a mixed day. A good few misfires from Kickouts and a few very poor passes when he came out but mixes with two brilliant saves and 3 superb points from frees.

So we have an outside chance in the final, nothing is expected from us so we can really just go out and push hard and see what happens. There should be no fear, we have beaten many of these Donegal players at u21 and to be honest they'll be potentially over confident based on beating Tyrone. I never saw a Tyrone team play as bad which did make Donegal look much better than maybe they really are - hopefully.

Onwards and upwards.

Itchy

U20s playing in the pre season league final this evening against Down. Seems like a long time since we won silverware at this grade so would be nice to pick up the win today.

Itchy

Disappointing yesterday although I suppose in hindsight I shouldnt have been surprised. Donegal are a long way ahead of us that is clear and yet we just didnt turn up either and make them work as hard as could have. We were routed on our own kick outs for me McKiernan was very poor despite getting on the end of a few attacks, there was no work out of him. Its a stage now where he needs to play FF and roam in the opposition 3rd and stay there. Galligan took a big step backwards with his performance, a number of poor kick outs but probably also due to lack of movement for him too. I am not sure what the plan was on Murphy but it didnt work. It was a real mess to be honest. That being said fair play to the Moynaghs and Martin Reillys that kept going to the end. So it is likely that the following will be in the hat to play us...

Mayo
Tyrone
Laois
Westmeath/Clare

So a 50:50 chance of a very winnable game, Super 8s would be a tremendous achievement for the lads in year 1 of this regime if we could get that bit of luck.

cavanmaniac

I have a terrible feeling that we'll land Tyrone. It's probably just my imagination but it always seems that if there's an Ulster team in the qualifier hat that we'd rather avoid, we surely end up with them. The very last thing this team needs right now is Tyrone in a do-or-die match, another limp display could set our lads back a long way.

Itchy

According to many people we cannot draw Armagh should they beat Mayo and more likely Meath cannot play Laois should Laois get through. So hopefully Armagh and Laois win which will increase our chances of a lower grade team. However, you are probably right we will get bloody Tyrone.

cavanmaniac

Aaaaand there it is. Typical. You'd obviously remain slightly hopeful in a year we got the Roscommon and Monaghan monkeys off our backs but the potential for a morale crushing experience looms large because Tyrone always seem to just strangle the life out of us. Here's hoping but that's a very deflating draw overall, sickening actually.

Westside

Anyone know any more abut the row that resulted in Pierson getting his hand broken?

Could be lads giving it all at training and things get out of hand or it could be egos and frustration...

mrdeeds

Quote from: Westside on July 02, 2019, 06:11:08 PM
Anyone know any more abut the row that resulted in Pierson getting his hand broken?

Could be lads giving it all at training and things get out of hand or it could be egos and frustration...

He was boxing one of the Gaels lads.

Since when was Jason Reilly involved with team?