Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhand Santa

You couldn't say a bad word about Dooher and Logan in terms of what they've done for Tyrone football. They've done a lot for football in the county and no one can take away from what they've achieved.

Do I think they should stay on? No, definitely not. The last two years have been mediocre and they had two bad years with the u21s outside the All Ireland win as well. I just can't see them turning it round from here with so many players already making themselves unavailable and all momentum seems to be lost. Tyrone looked far off it in terms of conditioning as well the last two years which is another area needs looked at.

The biggest problem would be who to replace them. There isn't many obvious candidates in the county and it's hard to imagine Malachy O'Rourke taking it.

Jerome

Certainly seems to be a big step down in terms of physical ability since Peter Donnelly was replaced by McElhome.

square_ball

Ciaran Meenagh anyone? The way Derry set up and played against Kerry was light years ahead of what we attempted 2 weeks previously. He does seem to have a big allegiance to Derry though so again probably unlikely.

Jim Bob

Quote from: LeoMc on July 21, 2023, 08:18:14 AM
Quote from: Jim Bob on July 21, 2023, 12:59:58 AM
And why what you stated above is the management s fault ? Be specific

Darragh Canavan is happy for them to stay on and he'd know a lot more about the state of things than you
Daragh was asked a direct question. He could hardly have said anything else.
You appear to be trying to absolve management of all blame.
I am not party to the day to day going on's in Garvaghey but the number of players walking away over the past 2 years does not indicate a happy camp. Players need to believe in what they are doing to invest the time and it would appear not enough players are being convinced.

Are you suggesting that Daragh wasn't being honest ?

Quote from: Jim Bob on July 21, 2023, 09:10:01 AM

Darragh Canavan is happy for them to stay on and he'd know a lot more about the state of things than you
I am not party to the day to day going on's in Garvaghey but the number of players walking away over the past 2 years does not indicate a happy camp. Players need to believe in what they are doing to invest the time and it would appear not enough players are being convinced.

He's not actually the son of god you know??

God14

Quote from: Redhand Santa on July 21, 2023, 08:44:00 AM
You couldn't say a bad word about Dooher and Logan in terms of what they've done for Tyrone football. They've done a lot for football in the county and no one can take away from what they've achieved.

Do I think they should stay on? No, definitely not. The last two years have been mediocre and they had two bad years with the u21s outside the All Ireland win as well. I just can't see them turning it round from here with so many players already making themselves unavailable and all momentum seems to be lost. Tyrone looked far off it in terms of conditioning as well the last two years which is another area needs looked at.

The biggest problem would be who to replace them. There isn't many obvious candidates in the county and it's hard to imagine Malachy O'Rourke taking it.

Agree 100%

LeoMc

I don't know if he is happy or not. Whilst he is part of the panel and they are the Management he could say nothing else without scuppering his future chances.

Keyboard Warrior

Quote from: Jerome on July 21, 2023, 08:50:36 AM
Certainly seems to be a big step down in terms of physical ability since Peter Donnelly was replaced by McElhome.

I'd suggest this is a major factor in Tyrone being bossed in the athletic stakes towards the business end of the year.

Snapchap

Jimbob, have a bit of sense lol. Maybe he does genuinely want them to stay on, maybe he doesn't. The point is: WTF do you expect him (or any serving player) to say in an interview when asked if they want their current manager to remain in position other than yes ffs!!

trueblue1234

I've been specific. I've given you reasons that I believe lie with the management. Inability to keep players happy on a panel, inability to get the best out of the players or build confidence, tactics too ponderous and slow to transition to attack. They had an AI winning team in 2021. And they did brilliant to win the AI. But there's been a drop off in too many  players forms since to simple say it's the players fault.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

tyrone08

Quote from: Keyboard Warrior on July 21, 2023, 09:45:46 AM

I'd suggest this is a major factor in Tyrone being bossed in the athletic stakes towards the business end of the year.

Agree. They dont seem to be as well conditioned as they used to be. Bring back peter or the rubgy guy who replaced him under mickey, cant remember his name now. I do remember the lads thinking highly of him.

Would like to see steve O'Neill back as well.

Keyboard Warrior

Quote from: tyrone08 on July 21, 2023, 10:12:45 AM
Quote from: Keyboard Warrior on July 21, 2023, 09:45:46 AM

Agree. They dont seem to be as well conditioned as they used to be. Bring back peter or the rubgy guy who replaced him under mickey, cant remember his name now. I do remember the lads thinking highly of him.

Would like to see steve O'Neill back as well.

Jonny Davis - I think he is with Down now.

Jim Bob

Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 21, 2023, 10:08:57 AM

I've been specific. I've given you reasons that I believe lie with the management. Inability to keep players happy on a panel, inability to get the best out of the players or build confidence, tactics too ponderous and slow to transition to attack. They had an AI winning team in 2021. And they did brilliant to win the AI. But there's been a drop off in too many  players forms since to simple say it's the players fault.

You seem to think that Tyrone ought to have won the All Ireland this year. For all we know some players may have lost that 'hunger' after having won in 21. Not the management fault there if true. Management can only do so much. We are not entitled to win the All Ireland every year. Maybe you should give Darragh a ring and tell him he's got it all wrong !

Redhand Santa

I don't think anyone is demanding an All Ireland every year. What you would expect from an established top county like Tyrone is to be at least competing most years. This last two years we have been miles of it. Hammered by Derry and Armagh last year and struggled past Fermanagh. This year beaten at home to Monaghan and drew with Westmeath before being miles of it v Kerry. The form has been atrocious over the last two years.

Snapchap

Quote from: Jim Bob on July 21, 2023, 12:07:56 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 21, 2023, 10:08:57 AM

You seem to think that Tyrone ought to have won the All Ireland this year. For all we know some players may have lost that 'hunger' after having won in 21. Not the management fault there if true. Management can only do so much. We are not entitled to win the All Ireland every year. Maybe you should give Darragh a ring and tell him he's got it all wrong !

Jimbob, can you give me one example, since the foundation of the GAA until this day, where a player was asked in a media interview if he would like his current manager to stay on for the following year, and where the player said "no"?