Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southtyronegael

Yes my earlier post was a bit of a wind-up and it looks like it worked. But for people to be giving Harte credit for finally playing the players we wanted and playing the football we wanted is actually a bigger windup. Credit due to the players. Def an all Ireland in them.

Tyrone Gaa

Quote from: southtyronegael on March 26, 2018, 02:32:20 PM
Yes my earlier post was a bit of a wind-up and it looks like it worked. But for people to be giving Harte credit for finally playing the players we wanted and playing the football we wanted is actually a bigger windup. Credit due to the players. Def an all Ireland in them.

Lets call a spade a spade, the team was announced for the Kerry game and there was uproar at the amount of changes made from the Mayo result.  You only have to go back a few pages to see that.  Like Club Boi and others I am still in the Harte out camp but have accepted this forum wont change that.  We have to support the team for the rest of the term and when the time comes to discuss new management put forward the case to the club officers or better still if you know anyone on the county board. 

A positive I would draw from the recent results is Tyrone have shown it is possible to cope without Colm Cavanagh.  When he missed the 1st few games Tyrone looked lost.  However he was black carded early vs Mayo and didn't feature against Kerry and Tyrone played well.  Maybe that has something to do with the approach game as well??
Living the dream!!!

omagh_gael

I am delighted with how the league has finished up. It really sets up for great game against Monaghan in the Championship!

Not much to take away from yesterday's game as there wasn't a whole pile of intensity to it. However, I have to say Frank Burns looks like the real deal. The man is as strong as an ox and a couple of Kerry men bounced off him when trying to break his tackle. He hassled, tackled, broke ball and supported the attack in phenomenal fashion yesterday.

Peter Harte was also involved everywhere, he never gives up. Would love to get stats on assists like they do in soccer, Petey would be bringing up huge numbers.

Overall positives from the league for me:

- Lee Brennan stepping up to the plate
- Petey Harte and Matty Donnelly finding a serious vein of form towards end of the league
- Frank Burns at #6
- Defence holding very tight without Colm Cavanagh
- Proper competition across almost all lines (apart from FF line)

Still think we're short of a 6ft plus marquee forward to give us that alternative ball into FF line but looks like we're shaping up quite well for the Championship.

bigpackiechestout

Contrary to all the Harte bashing on here I am going to say that he deserves a lot of credit for the way he has brought through our All-Ireland winning under 21 team from 2015. I've listed the starting team from that final below.

Tyrone: S Fox; R Mullan, P Hampsey, C McLaughlin; M Cassidy (0-1), R Brennan, K McGeary (capt); C McShane (1-0), F Burns; M Kavanagh (0-2), C Meyler (0-1), M Walsh; L Brennan (0-2, two frees), D McNulty (0-3, three frees), M Bradley (0-2).

The only lads not to have played any senior county football are Mark Kavanagh (I actually thought he would have been called up this year) and Matthew Walsh.

Of the other lads not currently on the panel...
Sean Fox - played a couple of league games a couple of years ago when the other keepers were injured
Mullan - dropped off the panel early last year
McNulty - dropped off the panel a few years ago after an injury

That leaves 10 lads from that starting 15 that are currently on the senior panel, with the likes of Hampsey, Burns, McShane, Meyler, McGeary, Lee Brennan and Bradley looking like key players for us this year and will hopefully make up the spine of the team for years to come. This is an unbelievable return from one underage team and I think Harte deserves credit for giving them gametime at the right time in order to aide their development.

Conversely, the difficulty of nurturing an under 21 team through to senior level can be seen in Mayo at the moment. They won the under 21s in 2016, the year after us, have been crying out for fresh blood since due to some of their senior players getting older and having serious miles on the clock. Yet Diarmuid O'Connor has been the only man to come through from that team and consistently start in the championship to date, and even his form has waned over the past year and a half.

Goals_Will_Come

Quote from: omagh_gael on March 26, 2018, 04:32:13 PM
I am delighted with how the league has finished up. It really sets up for great game against Monaghan in the Championship!

Not much to take away from yesterday's game as there wasn't a whole pile of intensity to it. However, I have to say Frank Burns looks like the real deal. The man is as strong as an ox and a couple of Kerry men bounced off him when trying to break his tackle. He hassled, tackled, broke ball and supported the attack in phenomenal fashion yesterday.

Peter Harte was also involved everywhere, he never gives up. Would love to get stats on assists like they do in soccer, Petey would be bringing up huge numbers.

- Petey Harte and Matty Donnelly finding a serious vein of form towards end of the league
- Frank Burns at #6

Still think we're short of a 6ft plus marquee forward to give us that alternative ball into FF line but looks like we're shaping up quite well for the Championship.
I agree with all those things. Major positives to be taken from that. Although there is still a few lingering issues.
Tiernan McCanns role. Had a great year last year but question marks over his defensive ability and the fact Tyrone seem more balanced now in his absence.
Mark Bradleys best position. Does he play in the corner or at 11.
Is there any danger of returning to the status quo of Aidan McCrory playing in the corner over Hugh Pat or McKernan.
Where does McNammee play now Harte seems to have settled on Hampsey in the full back line? Full back, corner back, at all?
Who plays beside Colm Cavanagh in the middle? Conall McCann Declan McClure Mattie?

southtyronegael

1.morgan
2.mc kernan
3.hampsey
4.h p mc geary
5.meyler
6.f burns
7.k mc geary
8.c cavanagh
9.mc clure
10.harte
11.sludden
12.m donnelly
13.l brennan
14.mc shane
15.bradley
there you go lads. book the citywest for september.

omagh_gael

Morgan
McCarron
Hampsey
McGeary
McCann
Burns
Meyler
McNulty
Colm
Harte
Sludden
Mattie
Brennan
mcAliskey
Bradley

southtyronegael

what have u seen so far omaghgael that would have mc aliskey ahead of mc shane?

redhandefender

Quote from: Goals_Will_Come on March 26, 2018, 11:01:16 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on March 26, 2018, 04:32:13 PM

- Frank Burns at #6

I agree with all those things. Major positives to be taken from that. Although there is still a few lingering issues.
Tiernan McCanns role. Had a great year last year but question marks over his defensive ability and the fact Tyrone seem more balanced now in his absence.
Mark Bradleys best position. Does he play in the corner or at 11.
Is there any danger of returning to the status quo of Aidan McCrory playing in the corner over Hugh Pat or McKernan.
Where does McNammee play now Harte seems to have settled on Hampsey in the full back line? Full back, corner back, at all?
Who plays beside Colm Cavanagh in the middle? Conall McCann Declan McClure Mattie?

The team seem more balanced without tiernan mc cann based on what? Them winning the last 3 games without him lol? Don't see that myself. I wasn't a fan of mc cann before last year but he is a major asset, once he starts motoring teams don't know what to do with him

blewuporstuffed

McNamee & Mccann may not  have played much in the league this year, but both are still in out best 6 defenders IMO

Morgan (even though i personally prefer Oneill)

hampsey
mcnamee
mckiernan

McCann
Burns
Myler

Colm Cavangh
McClure

Mattie donnelly
Sludden
Peter Harte

Lee brennan
McShane/ McAliskey
Bradley

That would be our strongest team at the minute imo

mcgearys x 2
Ruari brennan
mccarron
mcshane/mcaliskey

all decent options from the bench.

I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

omagh_gael

Quote from: southtyronegael on March 26, 2018, 11:44:35 PM

You're right STG, totally overlooked McShane. He would take McNulty's place for me. In fact, I think Cathal has been one of the big positives this league campaign. You can see he's been working on his decision making and isn't taking on those wild attempts all that often. He's such a strong runner, has great vision and has an excellent foot pass.

Still think we have to persist with Conor. He has more presence that Lee and Mark and if we can work on their interplay this could pay dividends later in the summer.

GaaFanatic123

Agree here, McShane has to start!!!

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: GaaFanatic123 on March 27, 2018, 10:46:30 AM

Agree here, McShane has to start!!!

McAliskey will start in the championship as he is our only right footed free taker excluding O'Neill who has no chance of playing. Unless you suggest taking Morgan up for every free from the left hand side?

I see the Irish News reporting today that Colm Cav is likely to miss the Monaghan game so I predict the following lineup:

Morgan

McCarron     Hampsey      McGeary

Meyler          Burns           McCann

McShane        McNulty

Mattie          Sludden         Harte

Lee              McAliskey       Bradley

GetOverTheBar

Tyrone form is looking up, probably the break coming at the worst time for them.

Anyone however concerned that Monaghan have just beaten the Dubs on their own patch, somewhat going under the radar here?

RedHand88

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 27, 2018, 10:58:58 AM
Tyrone form is looking up, probably the break coming at the worst time for them.

Anyone however concerned that Monaghan have just beaten the Dubs on their own patch, somewhat going under the radar here?

I though it was a big deal until i watched the highlights. Dublin were in second gear. And there is no way in hell Cluxtons gets beat by a chip like that.