Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Bearded One

JP, out of interest who would you have in as a replacement? This isn't an argument that I think Mickey is irreplaceable by the way.
It is what it is. Presumably.

Helpline

The first half was even, the second half was even worse

southtyronegael

yes we need to start putting our county first and not individuals. any word on the street about how harte  took his rubuff the other nite?

redzone

Quote from: southtyronegael on September 09, 2016, 09:06:22 PM
yes we need to start putting our county first and not individuals. any word on the street about how harte  took his rubuff the other nite?

Yeah was chatting him and he said he going nowhere and also said he doesn't give one f**k what southtyronegael  has to say

southtyronegael

yup sounds like him alright. mickey hussein.

jp2020

Quote from: The Bearded One on September 09, 2016, 12:31:17 PM
JP, out of interest who would you have in as a replacement? This isn't an argument that I think Mickey is irreplaceable by the way.
MH needs to be replaced soon, he cant go on forever. He casts asides players that are good enough but arent "his type", this was ok in they '00s when the backbone of the team were basically irreplaceable,but not now. And thats besides the rubbish were supposed to go to watch in the form of a "system".

If i want my children to play for tyrone do i need to get them to train hard but also learn the novena?

Logan, canavan is an option. As is Malachy orourke. But ask yourself the question, if he had to have walked away in eithor 08 or '10 (an absolute legend of the game) and someone else came in and had overseen the past 6-8yrs, would they still be in charge?? We all know the answer!

Tyroneforsam

Quote from: jp2020 on September 10, 2016, 08:33:35 AM
MH needs to be replaced soon, he cant go on forever. He casts asides players that are good enough but arent "his type", this was ok in they '00s when the backbone of the team were basically irreplaceable,but not now. And thats besides the rubbish were supposed to go to watch in the form of a "system".

If i want my children to play for tyrone do i need to get them to train hard but also learn the novena?

Logan, canavan is an option. As is Malachy orourke. But ask yourself the question, if he had to have walked away in eithor 08 or '10 (an absolute legend of the game) and someone else came in and had overseen the past 6-8yrs, would they still be in charge?? We all know the answer!

Do you really think our playing style would be any better under any of the three men you have mentioned. Based on the teams these three men have managed the answer is most definitely no!

maximus

Quote from: Tyroneforsam on September 10, 2016, 09:01:46 AM
Quote from: jp2020 on September 10, 2016, 08:33:35 AM

Do you really think our playing style would be any better under any of the three men you have mentioned. Based on the teams these three men have managed the answer is most definitely no!

The managers mentioned have set their teams up in a similar manner to Tyrone and it could be said aim to recreate the structure which Tyrone use.
I think those who criticise Harte and his style of play need to acknowledge that we don't have players of the same quality as Dublin. We cant go out and go man to man and see who comes out on top. We set up defensively and aim to limit other teams because we lack the quality forwards that other teams have.
I feel Harte has pretty consistently got Tyrone's best players on the pitch. The system is to an extent dictated by the fact we no longer have the quality of previous decade. The alternate suggested to drive the ball in to a big man on the edge of the square has been shown to be rather ineffective with current defensive structures.
I have to say that getting to within a kick of a ball of an All Ireland Final but for a lack of composure in front of goal was good achievement given the quality of the teams we are competing against and the forward power they have.

Helpline

The rate of change in Tyrone is akin to the Vatican.
The first half was even, the second half was even worse

Fuzzman

Maximus, I agree with most of what you said there but I wonder is part of the reason we don't have those quality forwards any more is that we are not encouraging good attack minded play any more. I don't know as I'm based in Dublin now a long time but this is the question I'm asking. Are most underage teams being encouraged to run with the ball? To not kick pass into the forward line? Are they berated if they lose possession or try to do something fancy or is it just at senior level? I don't know so can someone answer these questions for me?

I presume most club managers chose to play the safer defensive system as they know it makes them harder to beat so is this having a negative influence in our forwards development?
Personally I think if Harte had not got us playing this way the last number of years we would not be reaching AI semi finals and maybe even quarterfinals but my worry is that is has all developed this way because we got so obsessed with Donegal and having to beat them at their own game. I'm glad we finally have done that but my concern is that Harte will not even slightly move away from this type of game now and continue to ask even our full forwards to drop back to defend. I think there are certain matches we might have to play that way but it should not be our default style.

maximus

Quote from: Fuzzman on September 12, 2016, 10:57:11 AM
Maximus, I agree with most of what you said there but I wonder is part of the reason we don't have those quality forwards any more is that we are not encouraging good attack minded play any more. I don't know as I'm based in Dublin now a long time but this is the question I'm asking. Are most underage teams being encouraged to run with the ball? To not kick pass into the forward line? Are they berated if they lose possession or try to do something fancy or is it just at senior level? I don't know so can someone answer these questions for me?

I presume most club managers chose to play the safer defensive system as they know it makes them harder to beat so is this having a negative influence in our forwards development?
Personally I think if Harte had not got us playing this way the last number of years we would not be reaching AI semi finals and maybe even quarterfinals but my worry is that is has all developed this way because we got so obsessed with Donegal and having to beat them at their own game. I'm glad we finally have done that but my concern is that Harte will not even slightly move away from this type of game now and continue to ask even our full forwards to drop back to defend. I think there are certain matches we might have to play that way but it should not be our default style.

I think that at all levels and age groups managers and players want to win and will do whatever gets them over the line. If playing against a team with 13 men behind the ball it takes a special player to pick a pass and find an inside forward. Teams play the percentages and aim to retain possession so kicking is sometimes seen as counter-productive unless the ball is moved faster than the defensive set-up gets in place. I think certainly at underage there is a greater reluctance to kick the ball for this reason. 
Would Tyrone set up differently if they had Peter Canavan and Stephen O'Neill? I think so but that's just wishful thinking!
Things have moved forward for Tyrone. The transition from defence into attack has greatly improved especially this year. A free taker would make us much more competitive in these tight games. I don't thing Tyrone have become stagnant or stuck in the past as some suggest but are merely setting up in a way which makes them competitive and able to deal how other teams set up.

Club boi

As posted in the club thread -

Let it be said that Tyrone have been crying out for a free taker and from memory I don't think Lee Breenan missed any yesterday. Great off the ground especially when having to judge a swirling wind around Pomeroy. Some may say he's young but if he's good enough, he's old enough

southtyronegael

Quote from: Club boi on September 12, 2016, 08:01:16 PM

Let it be said that Tyrone have been crying out for a free taker and from memory I don't think Lee Breenan missed any yesterday. Great off the ground especially when having to judge a swirling wind around Pomeroy. Some may say he's young but if he's good enough, he's old enough
was at the game and brennan indeed was immaculate from placed balls. 6 points and a penalty scored with no misses. mark bradley was excellent too both from play and placed balls.

maximus

Quote from: southtyronegael on September 12, 2016, 10:00:20 PM

was at the game and brennan indeed was immaculate from placed balls. 6 points and a penalty scored with no misses. mark bradley was excellent too both from play and placed balls.

Hopefully he can do it on the big stage. The issue with our free takers in recent times has been that in club games, McKenna Cup and League they have been good but on the big day in Croke Park have lost their way a bit and lost the previous consistency.

rrhf

Quote from: maximus on September 13, 2016, 02:25:28 AM
Quote from: southtyronegael on September 12, 2016, 10:00:20 PM

Hopefully he can do it on the big stage. The issue with our free takers in recent times has been that in club games, McKenna Cup and League they have been good but on the big day in Croke Park have lost their way a bit and lost the previous consistency.

That's a load of keek