American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lfdown2

can anyone post a link to a clip of it?

Balboa

AZOffaly

Deiseach, that would be the conventional wisdom, run the ball and keep running until you are in fieldgoal range, or else dump off a couple of 5 yard passes and try to get a few yards after the catch (YAC). I don't know if this was a long bomb or a big run after the catch.

The other thing is that the defence nearly always expects run or short pass in overtime, and if they do, then they usually play their 2 safeties up to put at least 8 or 9 men 'in the box' which is the area just behind the line of scrimmage. It's traditional run stopping practice. If they do that, then it's usually 1 on 1 outside, and no QB worth his salt will throw an INT in 1 on 1 coverage. Usually interceptions are because the ball is tipped, or else a Safety or Linebacker is anticipating pass and either gets in the way, or goes double teaming the receiver.

If they are expecting run, and Favre does a play action fake, i.e. pretending to hand the ball to a runner before spinning around to throw, the chances of a big play, especially in those circumstances, are much greater, and the chances of an INT goes down as well.

So, without seeing it, I would reckon it was a defence playing run, a good play action fake to suck the safeties in further, and a long pass to a single coverage, or wide open receiver. That's what I'd do :D

AZOffaly

I just saw the clip that Balboa posted. Am I good or what? :D

heganboy

Was watching the game last night, favre threw for 2TDs both the same play one to either side and both on the first play of the drive. By the way this was after denver managed to sneak a field goal with 6 seconds left to get into OT. I thought denver should have been more aware that favre would try it again, but no, all the same some throw, inch perfect
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

deiseach

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 30, 2007, 11:45:39 AM
Deiseach, that would be the conventional wisdom, run the ball and keep running until you are in fieldgoal range, or else dump off a couple of 5 yard passes and try to get a few yards after the catch (YAC). I don't know if this was a long bomb or a big run after the catch.

The other thing is that the defence nearly always expects run or short pass in overtime, and if they do, then they usually play their 2 safeties up to put at least 8 or 9 men 'in the box' which is the area just behind the line of scrimmage. It's traditional run stopping practice. If they do that, then it's usually 1 on 1 outside, and no QB worth his salt will throw an INT in 1 on 1 coverage. Usually interceptions are because the ball is tipped, or else a Safety or Linebacker is anticipating pass and either gets in the way, or goes double teaming the receiver.

If they are expecting run, and Favre does a play action fake, i.e. pretending to hand the ball to a runner before spinning around to throw, the chances of a big play, especially in those circumstances, are much greater, and the chances of an INT goes down as well.

So, without seeing it, I would reckon it was a defence playing run, a good play action fake to suck the safeties in further, and a long pass to a single coverage, or wide open receiver. That's what I'd do :D

Well that's as clear as mud. Are you saying that the way the Denver defence lined up was to prevent a running game so the throw to the receiver was not as risky a move as it normally is, or (to my untrained eye) looked on that video?

Galwaybhoy

Stayed up to watch the game last night, but the fact I only got two hours sleep the night before came against me and I fell asleep at the start of the 2nd Qtr and only woke with about 3 minutes to play in the 4th.  Was fully awake then and thought not so bad after Elam tied the game up with the field goal.  As one of the lads said last night that must have been one of the quickest overtime in years.  One play and it was game over.

Will this be Favres last season?  I mean at 38 he is hardly young and I remember people talking about him retiring last season.

Gabriel_Hurl

He only stayed on so he could break the TD record - i think this will be the last season for the maestro

AZOffaly

In a nutshell yes :D  If you look at the video again, count the number of lads up close to the line of scrimmage. There's 8 lads there, not counting the 2 corner backs 'marking the wide receivers' at the top and botton of the screen. That means there is only 1 safety down the field defending the pass, and he lined up favouring the right side of the field. You can see him coming into shot trying to make up the distance when the ball goes to Jennings. I think he is #40. If that was a passing down the other safety would be back as well, and he would be helping out that corner back.

I'm rambling again :D

the Deel Rover

has favre been with green bay all his career and has he ever won the superbowl?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

AZOffaly

Yes, he won the Superbowl in 1997 against the Patriots. Lost it the next year against Denver, when John Elway finally got his first.
Favre was drafted in 1991 by the Atlanta Falcons, but only played a very small bit for them. the next off-season, he was traded to the Packers in exchange for a first round draft pick. He took over as starting QB early in that season, and has been there ever since.

Balboa

Quote from: the Deel Rover on October 30, 2007, 01:21:57 PM
has favre been with green bay all his career and has he ever won the superbowl?

Beat Patriots in '96, he was with Falcons for a season i think but i dunno if he played much.

The Real Laoislad

Watched a Larcrosse match on NASN the other night....Strange sport
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on October 30, 2007, 01:39:46 PM

Very strange.  The jerseys they wear seem so big and baggy like Hockey jerseys.  Strange observation I know!

the Deel Rover

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on October 30, 2007, 01:39:46 PM

is that the game with netted sticks and they move the ball up the field by throwing it from player to player if it is yea its a strange sport
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001