A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

balladmaker

Quote from: yellowcard on June 01, 2023, 09:55:25 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on June 01, 2023, 09:32:17 AM
Quote from: trailer on June 01, 2023, 09:11:12 AM
Bryson, Nesbitt, Paisley, Foster, Alderdice. They'll all talking about a Unity Ref and they are all worried.

Wait till you hear Bin Lorry of the Newsletter almost in tears, pleading for help from the UK Gov and anyone else who'll listen about the plight Unionism finds itself in.

Listened back to that Ben Lowry interview and it really was something else, he sounded as if he needed a good cold shower after it. It's well worth a listen just to hear what the editor of the main Unionist media outlet actually thinks about things. He is totally consumed by the Union at the expense of everything else and it does reflect a lot of unionist thinking and more particularly that older generation.

If political unionism continues on its current course of action then I think a border poll will be much quicker to take place than we imagine and most likely within 5-10 years. By denying Irish language rights, batting for the hardest form of Brexit, denying a nationalist first minister, cosying up to ERG Tories for political titles etc etc they have simply mobilised nationalists. Then lundifying anybody from their own side who shows the slightest form of compromise or long term strategic thinking. If they actually tried to be more reasonable they could probably prolong their precious Union for a generation but I just don't don't think its in them as they try and outdo each other in a contest to see who can be the ultra superbrit.

Lowry on BBC and Lowry on RTE are different people.  He rants and raves like a bigoted lunatic north of the border, yet, when on RTE, he's as good as gold and much more tempered in his outlook.  Either way, the northern Lowry is most likely the real one, and he knows the union is in terminal decline.

yellowcard

Quote from: balladmaker on June 01, 2023, 03:15:24 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 01, 2023, 09:55:25 AM
Bryson, Nesbitt, Paisley, Foster, Alderdice. They'll all talking about a Unity Ref and they are all worried.

Wait till you hear Bin Lorry of the Newsletter almost in tears, pleading for help from the UK Gov and anyone else who'll listen about the plight Unionism finds itself in.

Listened back to that Ben Lowry interview and it really was something else, he sounded as if he needed a good cold shower after it. It's well worth a listen just to hear what the editor of the main Unionist media outlet actually thinks about things. He is totally consumed by the Union at the expense of everything else and it does reflect a lot of unionist thinking and more particularly that older generation.

If political unionism continues on its current course of action then I think a border poll will be much quicker to take place than we imagine and most likely within 5-10 years. By denying Irish language rights, batting for the hardest form of Brexit, denying a nationalist first minister, cosying up to ERG Tories for political titles etc etc they have simply mobilised nationalists. Then lundifying anybody from their own side who shows the slightest form of compromise or long term strategic thinking. If they actually tried to be more reasonable they could probably prolong their precious Union for a generation but I just don't don't think its in them as they try and outdo each other in a contest to see who can be the ultra superbrit.

Lowry on BBC and Lowry on RTE are different people.  He rants and raves like a bigoted lunatic north of the border, yet, when on RTE, he's as good as gold and much more tempered in his outlook.  Either way, the northern Lowry is most likely the real one, and he knows the union is in terminal decline.

He knows his audience. The Newsletter has descended into an extreme unionist/loyalist propaganda media outlet since he became editor in 2021 which tells you a lot about his thinking. He sometimes tries to present a moderate viewpoint but yesterday he just completely lost the run of himself. And it was wasn't that Nolan was even grilling him in any shape or form, he just went off on a few different tangents and said everything that he wanted to get off his chest.

I don't know where it comes from but he is among the most bitter, anti Irish of them all and yesterdays meltdown was something else.   

Rossfan

Between Bin Lorry and Binlid an awful lot of rubbish round Unionism
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Eamonnca1

Quote from: marty34 on June 01, 2023, 07:56:27 AM
Does he write them articles and tweets etc. or does someone else help him?

The amount of tweets and re-tweets he puts out is shocking.  It's 7 days a week.

Yup, he's basically a full-time comments troll. Nice work if you can get it.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Snapchap on June 01, 2023, 09:05:16 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 01, 2023, 09:01:26 AM
He causes a lot of bother in the legal world. Not as big a fool as we would like to think he is.

How he's got all hit notoriety etc I do not know because he is no more than a jumped up little sc**bag but there is a lot more than meets the eye as to what is going on with this guy being in the limelight I would say.

Also anyone's life will be much healthier if they use twitter and they block him.

His platform is entirely thanks to Stephen Nolan. Can you think of a single other broadcaster that gives him the time of day?

And yep...Block Bryson on twitter and boycott Stephen Nolan's sectarian cesspit of a show and your life will improve in an instant.

Bit harsh on Nolan. I've listened to his show and it's not as bad as people say it is. Bryson and Allister aren't on every day like people think. Since it's a new month I might do another survey by listening each day and making a note of the contributors. Last time I did that I found Bryson and Allister were on about two to three times a month each.

Eamonnca1

That man has anger management issues. I've heard him on the radio and he sounds like your man Steve Fleming from The Thick of It, like he's about to go off on a tantrum any second.

marty34

AustinPowers

Quote from: Rossfan on June 01, 2023, 04:07:22 PM
Between Bin Lorry and Binlid an awful lot of rubbish round Unionism

Was it ever  any  other way?

AustinPowers

Quote from: trailer on June 01, 2023, 11:01:09 AM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on June 01, 2023, 10:59:40 AM
Quote from: Mario on June 01, 2023, 10:18:09 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 01, 2023, 10:02:50 AM
It's just continuous political suicide. You can only imagine their conversations... how will we preserve the union? Ah we'll bring down stormont and make the whole place not work at all. That'll show them.
[
Genius  :o
I think most Unionist politicians are just in it for the career. They probably know it's a flawed tactic but all they care about is the next election and getting a job for another few years. They've now back themselves into a corner where they need to double down or they will lose votes at the next election.

Yeah it's just a case of not on my watch. They know you can't keep the taigs tide out. They don't want to be at the helm when the union goes down. So just trying to squeeze a bit more out of their base while they can.

History won't be kind to Foster. She'll go down as the worst leader of Unionism ever and will be viewed as the Leader who was at the helm at the beginning of the end.

Yes , but she won't  be the  one holding the  reins  when  NI goes.  So, she won't be  the one on the  bonfire for  generations to come , so that's all  that matters  to her (or  indeed , any  leader of unionism)

Eire90

why would loyalists sit back and accecpt joint rule if no one voted for that and dont pay tax to the south

imtommygunn

Quote from: AustinPowers on June 01, 2023, 05:41:53 PM
Quote from: trailer on June 01, 2023, 11:01:09 AM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on June 01, 2023, 10:59:40 AM
Quote from: Mario on June 01, 2023, 10:18:09 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 01, 2023, 10:02:50 AM
It's just continuous political suicide. You can only imagine their conversations... how will we preserve the union? Ah we'll bring down stormont and make the whole place not work at all. That'll show them.
[
Genius  :o
I think most Unionist politicians are just in it for the career. They probably know it's a flawed tactic but all they care about is the next election and getting a job for another few years. They've now back themselves into a corner where they need to double down or they will lose votes at the next election.

Yeah it's just a case of not on my watch. They know you can't keep the taigs tide out. They don't want to be at the helm when the union goes down. So just trying to squeeze a bit more out of their base while they can.

History won't be kind to Foster. She'll go down as the worst leader of Unionism ever and will be viewed as the Leader who was at the helm at the beginning of the end.

Yes , but she won't  be the  one holding the  reins  when  NI goes.  So, she won't be  the one on the  bonfire for  generations to come , so that's all  that matters  to her (or  indeed , any  leader of unionism)

As bad as she was Donaldson is worse.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Eire90 on June 01, 2023, 06:41:17 PM
why would loyalists sit back and accecpt joint rule if no one voted for that and dont pay tax to the south

Same reason they're sitting back and accepting a stalled Stormont and Brexit even though nobody voted for either.

Snapchap

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 01, 2023, 04:31:21 PM
Quote from: Snapchap on June 01, 2023, 09:05:16 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 01, 2023, 09:01:26 AM
He causes a lot of bother in the legal world. Not as big a fool as we would like to think he is.

How he's got all hit notoriety etc I do not know because he is no more than a jumped up little sc**bag but there is a lot more than meets the eye as to what is going on with this guy being in the limelight I would say.

Also anyone's life will be much healthier if they use twitter and they block him.

His platform is entirely thanks to Stephen Nolan. Can you think of a single other broadcaster that gives him the time of day?

And yep...Block Bryson on twitter and boycott Stephen Nolan's sectarian cesspit of a show and your life will improve in an instant.

Bit harsh on Nolan. I've listened to his show and it's not as bad as people say it is. Bryson and Allister aren't on every day like people think. Since it's a new month I might do another survey by listening each day and making a note of the contributors. Last time I did that I found Bryson and Allister were on about two to three times a month each.

Funny enough, it's only a few months since someone did gather the stats on Nolan's sectarian output. I discussed them here recently. Read them and then try telling me that I'm being unfair on him:

Quote from: Snapchap on March 02, 2023, 10:13:25 AM
At a rough count, and taking into account that PBP are designated as 'other' in the assembly, then you're looking at a breakdown of the most frequent guests being roughly:

Unionists: 22
Nationalists: 6 (3 of which are Alison Morris who is a journalist for a Unionist Newspaper)
Other: 4
With the most frequent participant being the leader and sole MLA of the smallest party in the assembly and most hardline unionist, Jim Allister.

Another breakdown was provided for all guests in the same timeframe (below)
The breakdown for it?
Unionists: 43
Other: 23
Nationalists: 13

I also noted previously that when the DUP were on the verge of agreeing a deal on an Irish Language Act and the reinstatement of the Assembly back in the first week of Feb 2018, the Nolan show went into overdrive attacking them, and brought in Jim Allister as a guest to tear into them on his radio/tv shows on the 9th, 11th, 12th, on BOTH his radio and TV shows on 14th, on 15th and the 19th. And what happened? The DUP buckled and reneged on the deal.

Milltown Row2

A view from stormont having the chat about this.. interesting
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Peter Weir still telling us that being part of the UK is great as we're part of the 5th (thought it was 6th now) largest economy and the NHS is free at the point of need.

Someone better tell him that being part of the EU would give us unfettered access to the 4th, 7th, 8th, 10th and many more economies part of the EU trading block.

As for the NHS, their Tory mates have run it down so far that actually getting an appointment with a GP is a week plus more wait in most surgeries and the waiting times for non essential surgeries is now being measured in years, not weeks or months.
Want anything like a decent healthcare service in the north and you're forced to go private.