Cork v Mayo, NFL Sunday April 7th, 2013

Started by From the Bunker, March 31, 2013, 09:53:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Seems to be no middle ground for Mayo here, Lose we go down win we (amazingly) go into the League semi-finals.

I wonder do Cork have the stomach to go for 4 in a row leagues. Winning the league the last couple of seasons did them no favours come championship. GAA values are strange, Cork could win their 4th League title in a row this year and they would get little or no credit for it. In fact there would be solid GAA fans that would hardly know they are going for 4 in a row.

Cork were really up for this corresponding fixture last year, they were really hurt by the way Mayo dumped them out of the championship in 2011. And they further rubbed salt into the wounds in the League final. Hope we do enough to stay up, if we make the play-offs well and good if not sure their the more pressing issue of Galway in the Connacht championship in 6 odd weeks.

mayo.mick

Just after hearing Barry Moran gone off injured today, knee gone, don't know how serious yet.
mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

From the Bunker

Quote from: mayo.mick on March 31, 2013, 03:56:44 PM
Just after hearing Barry Moran gone off injured today, knee gone, don't know how serious yet.

>:(

macdanger2

Sh*te, big blow for us. Even if he's only out for a few weeks, it'll set his fitness back a bit.

CorkMan

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 31, 2013, 09:53:01 AM
Seems to be no middle ground for Mayo here, Lose we go down win we (amazingly) go into the League semi-finals.

I wonder do Cork have the stomach to go for 4 in a row leagues. Winning the league the last couple of seasons did them no favours come championship. GAA values are strange, Cork could win their 4th League title in a row this year and they would get little or no credit for it. In fact there would be solid GAA fans that would hardly know they are going for 4 in a row.

Cork were really up for this corresponding fixture last year, they were really hurt by the way Mayo dumped them out of the championship in 2011. And they further rubbed salt into the wounds in the League final. Hope we do enough to stay up, if we make the play-offs well and good if not sure their the more pressing issue of Galway in the Connacht championship in 6 odd weeks.

We're actually going for 5-in-a-row if you count the Division 2 title from 2009.

It's very disappointing that we only have one All-Ireland to show for the last few years. Along with Kerry, we have been the most consistent team in the country for the last 6 or 7 years.

From the Bunker

Quote from: CorkMan on March 31, 2013, 10:42:25 PM

We're actually going for 5-in-a-row if you count the Division 2 title from 2009.

It's very disappointing that we only have one All-Ireland to show for the last few years. Along with Kerry, we have been the most consistent team in the country for the last 6 or 7 years.

No i would not count that Division 2 title, but 4 in a row for an under respected title is still no mean feat. Corks would have more AI's if they did not have to meet Kerry at least twice each year! Damn it even the neutrals among us are sick of ye're annual never mind twice annual meetings. Down did ye a favour in 2010 and got the neighbours out of the way. There is still one big push in this group, but it has to happen this year.

CorkMan

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 01, 2013, 12:27:01 AM
Quote from: CorkMan on March 31, 2013, 10:42:25 PM

No i would not count that Division 2 title, but 4 in a row for an under respected title is still no mean feat. Corks would have more AI's if they did not have to meet Kerry at least twice each year! Damn it even the neutrals among us are sick of ye're annual never mind twice annual meetings. Down did ye a favour in 2010 and got the neighbours out of the way. There is still one big push in this group, but it has to happen this year.

I don't think it will. Our panel isn't as strong as Dublins, we don't have the gameplan to get around Donegal, it's likely Kerry would beat us in Croke Park and I think Tyrone will be there or therabouts for the championship based on their league form.

Still though , I think could win the league, which is better than nothing. 4(5)-in-a-row is a great achievement but we won't get enough credit for it as we only have one championship to show for those 4 years.

We should beat Mayo on Sunday. Seeing as it's the league and we need to win to make the semi finals, I think we should have enough to win.

Syferus

I'd agree Cork's chances to win another AI are reaching last orders but only really Dublin, Donegal and Mayo would be at all confident of beating them in this year's championship. Maybe Kerry would have some unfounded confidence but c'mon now - the Kingdom are very clearly a rung below those four teams right now and mostly likely Tyrone and Kildare  too.

Apart from Dublin the top of the tree is wide open right now and I'm always very wary of teams who are in such great form early in the year because it very rarely carries through to the third Sunday in September.

Two teams with great league records on the line in this one. I heard Keith Higgins picked up an injury yesterday too, is it serious? I think Higgins would be a far bigger loss than Moran simply because Mayo have enough midfield options to cover for him while he heals up. If Higgins is gone it's Cork's to lose.

Captain Obvious

Cork won the 2007,2009 under 21 All Ireland's and they should be there or thereabouts at senior level for the next few years. Dublin need the Brogan's fit to win the All Ireland,Donegal are still waiting for last years form to return and Mayo are Mayo. No outstanding teams and the door is open for Kildare,Tyrone,Kerry or somebody else if they can string a few results together.

Zulu

Quote from: Syferus on April 01, 2013, 02:44:45 PM
I'd agree Cork's chances to win another AI are reaching last orders but only really Dublin, Donegal and Mayo would be at all confident of beating them in this year's championship. Maybe Kerry would have some unfounded confidence but c'mon now - the Kingdom are very clearly a rung below those four teams right now and mostly likely Tyrone and Kildare  too.

Apart from Dublin the top of the tree is wide open right now and I'm always very wary of teams who are in such great form early in the year because it very rarely carries through to the third Sunday in September.

Two teams with great league records on the line in this one. I heard Keith Higgins picked up an injury yesterday too, is it serious? I think Higgins would be a far bigger loss than Moran simply because Mayo have enough midfield options to cover for him while he heals up. If Higgins is gone it's Cork's to lose.

No way are Kerry below your top 4, only Dublin would definitely beat them if they were to meet in championship this year IMO and even then it wouldn't be a total shock to see Kerry win. Kerry are on the way down no doubt but a team with forwards like Cooper, the O'Sullivans and Donaghy will be a serious championship opponent for anyone.

Cork are still genuine contenders but the loss of O'Neill and the repeated injury woes of Sheehan will be too much for them to cope with especially as they aren't tactically the most astute. O'Neill and Sheehan are the type of players that turn top 6 teams into All Ireland winners. Add them to the Kildare or Mayo panels and you have 2 genuine AI contenders straight away.

Syferus

It's so far beyond doubt Kerry are behind those four teams that it still amazes some people fail to see how many times Kerry have been found wanting since the 2011 AI final and the young players have yet to show they can fill the boots of lads who are inching towards their mid-30s. All the tradition in the world can't change reality - Kerry are not 'genuine' AI contenders.

Zulu

Nonsense, how many times have they been found out since 2011, i.e. one year!!! They lost a close enough game to the reigning All Ireland champions last year how in the hell can that be construed as being 'found out'. They definitely don't have the panel some other counties have and their best players are coming to the end but they will still have a first 15 this year (barring injuries) to match any team in the country. I'd fancy Kerry to beat Mayo, Kildare and probably Tyrone this year. While I would consider a Donegal or Cork match with Kerry to be close to 50:50, only Dublin for me would be clear favourites against Kerry.

Now I don't think Kerry will win the All Ireland because I don't think they've enough to beat 2 or 3 good teams which they'll have to to win it all but to dismiss a team loaded with some of the best players ever to pull on a Kerry jersey is juvenile at best. Kerry are going to slip down the rankings but they certainly have at least one more year where they are a match for anyone. Cooper, Donaghy, Galvin, the O'Sullivan's and the O'Se's would all still most likely start for any other county, in other words half of the outfield team. Buckley would also push hard in any county as would David Moran if he recovers from injury. I don't think any other county could say the same. Dublin have great young players coming through but you'd still go with a Galvin over a Kilkenny this year if that was the choice.

Not All Ireland winners this year for me but not genuine contenders?? Give me a break.

sans pessimism

A lot of off-topic talk here.
I thiink we are in for a tough test on sunday
Big Barry is a loss but it gives a chance to the
likes of Jason or young Gallagher.Keiths hammer
still not recovered since the Donegal game
Cork will have too much in the tank
but I think we will survive in div 1
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Farrandeelin

I wonder will there be many going from Mayo to this one? I doubt it, even though they have to get a result to stay up!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

sans pessimism

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 01, 2013, 07:32:51 PM
I wonder will there be many going from Mayo to this one? I doubt it, even though they have to get a result to stay up!
quite a few that I was talkin to
are headin Farr.we're toggin on sat so we'll
be knockin round sat nite.any corkies advice on where
there'd be a bit a crack(stayn in the Gresham).
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"