Derry Girls - Channel 4

Started by longballin, January 04, 2018, 10:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saffrongael

Speaking of unfunny acts, I see there "Mammybanter" is releasing her first book  :-\
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

bennydorano

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on April 29, 2022, 12:26:13 PM
Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on April 28, 2022, 04:46:40 PM
Wifey was gigglin away at ep2 deffo the best so far. Will it go down as one if the top twenty comedies ever? No

Is it enjoyable all the same with plenty of laughs with a nice throwback to an era plenty of us remember, good tunes, few good local celebs like mcaleer and tiernan etc, while being levels above Give my Head Peace and Mrs Browns Boys? yes 😊

You are starting from a low bar there. Two shows I cannot abide. Give my Head Peace is at least 20 if not 30 years past its sell-by date. Utter utter shite. And Mrs Browns Boys is about as funny as a kick to the stones.

Derry Girls like most other shows has its moments and while it is not comedy gold or won't be remembered as a classic is still a decent effort.
A Give my head peace Classic Sketch
https://youtu.be/j9qV8buoY1E

Rois

Quote from: Saffrongael on April 29, 2022, 07:26:54 PM
Speaking of unfunny acts, I see there "Mammybanter" is releasing her first book  :-\
We tried booking her for an International Women's Day slot for an online conference - the price she was charging for a fifteen min slot was eye-watering! We didn't bother.

Olly

Derry ones are mad about money
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

In hiding

I think Derry Girls and Give My Head Peace are excellent.
Mrs Brown's Boys is terrible though

Rois

Aw lads, some show this evening. Strabane even featured!
Whatever anyone thinks about the humour (and jeez but I couldn't stand the Claire character), the show has a real ability to tap into the emotions of the time.

trileacman

Quote from: Rois on May 18, 2022, 10:40:48 PM
Whatever anyone thinks about the humour (and jeez but I couldn't stand the Claire character), the show has a real ability to tap into the emotions of the time.

That post got worse with every sentence.

;D
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: In hiding on April 29, 2022, 10:46:28 PM
I think Derry Girls and Give My Head Peace are excellent.
Mrs Brown's Boys is terrible though

Just saw this post, give my head peace and excellent in the same sentence and no-one said anything ;D

Rois

Quote from: trileacman on May 19, 2022, 01:05:34 AM
Quote from: Rois on May 18, 2022, 10:40:48 PM

That post got worse with every sentence.

;D
🤣

Come on - it was good and had me in tears! Voted in the referendum on my 18th birthday - can't blame me for reminiscing.

imtommygunn

Same. It got a bit less funny but more poignant and emotional.

Also it was a bit sickening watching about the good Friday agreement given how little of a shit some current politicians give about it and the fact it is just a pawn in a big game now :(

Mourne Red

Thought the last 2 episodes this week were brilliant - Haven't enjoyed all of this season but the episode last night tapped into your emotion of what things were like and people
Don't want that anymore never mind when they voted for the GFA, but arseholes working to destabilise that agreement would anger you.. Loved Granda Joes speech about it being a ghost story you'll tell weans.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Only watched the first, as a Derry man, the accents are away off. Michelle only one that has Derry accent and maybe the auntie/ma a bit, but must catch up on it over next few weeks. I was in Derry the night Clinton came and Belfast the previous night( is that in last episode?)

Funny was I outside Whitlaw hall when Adams came out with Clinton. Big placard protest there of free presbies, think I was only taig there. I shouted "Tiocfaidh Ár Lá Gerry". Oh the looks. Jesus how ive changed

screenexile

Quote from: Mourne Red on May 19, 2022, 07:54:38 AM
Thought the last 2 episodes this week were brilliant - Haven't enjoyed all of this season but the episode last night tapped into your emotion of what things were like and people
Don't want that anymore never mind when they voted for the GFA, but arseholes working to destabilise that agreement would anger you.. Loved Granda Joes speech about it being a ghost story you'll tell weans.

I'm fairly sure Erin is from Derry as well and has a Derry accent! The others are shite enough especially Clare's!

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: screenexile on May 19, 2022, 12:13:46 PM
Quote from: Mourne Red on May 19, 2022, 07:54:38 AM

I'm fairly sure Erin is from Derry as well and has a Derry accent! The others are shite enough especially Clare's!

Aye tbf she does, does my napper in with the facial expressions(have I got the right one?)

tintin25

Watched the penultimate episode thinking it was the last and was thinking 'is this it?'

Have to say it barely raised a chuckle...series has been pretty dire but all about opinions I guess