Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: bridgegael on March 19, 2014, 06:09:55 PM
who will you be playing for this year mdg??

Seniors looking a water boy so might take that up lol

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: downjim on March 19, 2014, 11:13:08 PM
If your seniors did not play for your seconds week in week out surely you will have enough football for all the lads in Kilcoo.Or will Jerome and the Red be making a comeback ;D

When ya have over 70 lads training do the maths. It's a necessity. Big pick ya see.

islandchampions08

MDG, do you really have 70 at training? if that's true that's some achievement for a rural club. of the 70 how many would be consider senior 1st team players?

Mid Down Gael

Including minors we have around 70. With our thirds team playing in highly competitive premier reserve division 2, the club had no option but include a 4ths string as many lads looking a game who maybe can't fully commit can now get that.  Is say 25 lads will play senior at some stage or another.

DownFanatic

Another poor result for our U21 footballers last night. Correct me if im wrong but I think we have only managed one win in Ulster at this level since 2010.

It's no coincidence that our underwhelming run since the start of the decade at Minor and U21 level has coincided with a rise in professionalism in relation to the operation of development squads across the island.

We are miles behind the Cavan's of this world in terms of how our development squads function. It is now near the end of March and as far as I am aware none of our teams at U15, U16 and U17 are up and running.

We are still adhering to the old system: clubs nominate as many players as they like, some of them turn up to a few trials and then a squad of 30+ is picked. Do a couple of training sessions a month and attend a few blitzes/challenge games and then wrap up come the Autumn. Process is then repeated the next year with absolutely no continuity or attention to dedicated weights programmes etc.

Our whole operation needs a huge overhaul. We need to look at what these other counties are doing, replicate it and improve on it. Otherwise we are going to continue to underperform at Minor and U21 as we have done since 2010.

ardtole

The minor set up is just as bad DF. For the last fifteen years there is a Down minor panel, training away, playing in the league games, might start of with 50 players then gradually cut to around 30. Then before the championship around a dozen college lads are brought in and some of the lads there all winter are more or less told to  f**k off. Very humiliating and embarrassing for the young footballers as they have their hopes built up at that late stage.

T O Hare

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on March 20, 2014, 10:16:28 AM
Including minors we have around 70. With our thirds team playing in highly competitive premier reserve division 2, the club had no option but include a 4ths string as many lads looking a game who maybe can't fully commit can now get that.  Is say 25 lads will play senior at some stage or another.
Mdg we would have over 70 including minors as well but I don't think we could sustain a fourths team especially when the senior and minor championships start. But good luck all the same and I hope you're the first man to win senior, seconds, thirds and fourths medals :)
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

thebar

MDG what league will your 4th's play in??? some going to get 4 teams if it's true in any parish.

pauly2

Quote from: DownFanatic on March 20, 2014, 11:31:43 AM
Another poor result for our U21 footballers last night. Correct me if im wrong but I think we have only managed one win in Ulster at this level since 2010.

It's no coincidence that our underwhelming run since the start of the decade at Minor and U21 level has coincided with a rise in professionalism in relation to the operation of development squads across the island.

We are miles behind the Cavan's of this world in terms of how our development squads function. It is now near the end of March and as far as I am aware none of our teams at U15, U16 and U17 are up and running.

We are still adhering to the old system: clubs nominate as many players as they like, some of them turn up to a few trials and then a squad of 30+ is picked. Do a couple of training sessions a month and attend a few blitzes/challenge games and then wrap up come the Autumn. Process is then repeated the next year with absolutely no continuity or attention to dedicated weights programmes etc.

Our whole operation needs a huge overhaul. We need to look at what these other counties are doing, replicate it and improve on it. Otherwise we are going to continue to underperform at Minor and U21 as we have done since 2010.

The development squads are a farce and ran by farcical mentors.. Yes thanks for giving up ur time etc etc but what is wrong with the county players who are "qualified coaches"?? Why can't they take our underage teams and mentor them?? Young lads wound love to play for the likes of Poland, benney and ambros.. These are the people that shod be in charge of them not people with their own agendas on how teams should be trained or ran.. Cavan have made serious strides lately by all parties - schools, clubs and parents buying into the programme.. They start s&c at the right time and are developed in a football capacity by doing quality sessions and playing quality games - not Micky mouse tournaments and blitz days.. Whole thing needs addressed...

DownFanatic

Quote from: pauly2 on March 20, 2014, 04:07:57 PM

The development squads are a farce and ran by farcical mentors.. Yes thanks for giving up ur time etc etc but what is wrong with the county players who are "qualified coaches"?? Why can't they take our underage teams and mentor them?? Young lads wound love to play for the likes of Poland, benney and ambros.. These are the people that shod be in charge of them not people with their own agendas on how teams should be trained or ran.. Cavan have made serious strides lately by all parties - schools, clubs and parents buying into the programme.. They start s&c at the right time and are developed in a football capacity by doing quality sessions and playing quality games - not Micky mouse tournaments and blitz days.. Whole thing needs addressed...

Your terming of mentors as "farcical" is over the top and unwarranted. Most of these mentors are at least Level 2 accredited and have a decent level of experience and expertise to operate in this particular environ.
It's not necessarily the personnel that is the problem. It is the system.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: thebar on March 20, 2014, 01:37:29 PM
MDG what league will your 4th's play in??? some going to get 4 teams if it's true in any parish.
East Down Reserve League which I also am led to believe will be 13 aside.

pauly2

Quote from: DownFanatic on March 20, 2014, 10:10:34 PM
Quote from: pauly2 on March 20, 2014, 04:07:57 PM

Your terming of mentors as "farcical" is over the top and unwarranted. Most of these mentors are at least Level 2 accredited and have a decent level of experience and expertise to operate in this particular environ.
It's not necessarily the personnel that is the problem. It is the system.

The "system" as you call it - works in other counties.  Why cant it work in Down.  And as for your level 2 accrediation - not worth the paper its written on - its another farce by the GAA to get money out of people so they can work with children.  The child protection issue i have no problem with but as for these courses - a load of b****x. 
Everyone is talkig about Cavan this and Cavan that - its not the blueprint for automatic success - but its a great start.  There is a system out there for Down to use - but until they get the correct coaches in place that have the "experience" of coaching at the TOP LEVEL - we are wasting our time.  Speaking of coaches I notice you didnt mention about the county stars taking the teams as i suggested - i would love to know what these players are getting paid for exactly.  Schools mentoring is part of their job description - how many of them show up, regularly, on time, with planned sessions that are interesting and enjoyable for the children in their care - from what i hear not very many.  My son is in a local school and one player is supposed to be there every week - but hasnt showed this year from september - its now nearly April - not good enough.

thebar

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on March 20, 2014, 10:22:35 PM
Quote from: thebar on March 20, 2014, 01:37:29 PM
East Down Reserve League which I also am led to believe will be 13 aside.

It's 15 a side but can be 13 a side if both teams agree it was anyhow. I'd say you's be fit to get 15 ok!

Brick Tamlin

Pauly2 id love to hear your suggestions to remedy this issue.
Can you outline proposals for a system or structure, the implementation of it, personnel involved, their backgrounds, experiences, qualifications etc.
Its fair enough recognising the problems and talking about them but I wouldn't mind hearing a few reasoned suggestions and worthwhile proposals.
Im not arguing with ye here or in complete disagreement with you on some of your points but really any idiot can shout and roar about whats wrong and who is to blame. Not many though come up with good alternatives.

5 Sams

Benny not happy with some youse lads on here!
The Aristocrat Years