manfromdelmonte

why would you not go for an estate?

mondeo?
hyundai i40
avensis

I don't get the obsession with these SUVs

Hound

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on March 06, 2018, 06:59:52 PM
3 times this year already! Are manual 4 wheel drives an option? She who must be obeyed just informed me she doesn't want an automatic.
What's the reason for her not wanting an auto?
Has she driven a decent auto before?

seafoid

I was looking at electric cars. Currently the cost of charging is considerably lower than petrol and the engines are a lot simpler so last longer - 2.5 times longer was quoted. The price would need need to come down though.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Dinny Breen

Quote from: seafoid on March 07, 2018, 08:45:57 AM
I was looking at electric cars. Currently the cost of charging is considerably lower than petrol and the engines are a lot simpler so last longer - 2.5 times longer was quoted. The price would need need to come down though.

The price will come down but too expensive for me to justify the cost.

Seems like a golden era for Cars except for Jeep Cherokee. Will be busy for the next few weeks.

Quote from: Itchy on March 06, 2018, 10:12:05 PM
Good place to compare vehicles is www.parkers.co.uk.

Will check that out.
#newbridgeornowhere

Taylor

3 times this year already! Are manual 4 wheel drives an option? She who must be obeyed just informed me she doesn't want an automatic.

She who must be obeyed needs a kick up the arse then Harold

GJL

Quote from: Hound on March 07, 2018, 07:23:12 AM

Get her an auto, make her drive it for a few weeks. After she gets used to it she will never want a manual again.

Harold Disgracey

Yes, she had a BMW auto for a while and hated it. Said it was grand for motorway driving but found it poor for short trips and town/city driving. I've never really driven one so can't comment.

GJL

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on March 07, 2018, 09:28:21 AM

Yes, she had a BMW auto for a while and hated it. Said it was grand for motorway driving but found it poor for short trips and town/city driving. I've never really driven one so can't comment.

Women......strange creatures.

awideisneverasgood

On the lookout for something with 7 seats myself, thinking about Hyuandai Sante Fe or Kia Sorrento.

Is there anything else I should consider?
Had thought about the Discovery Sport but Ive heard too many horror stories about Land Rovers so Ill give them a miss.

GJL

Quote from: awideisneverasgood on March 07, 2018, 10:10:07 AM
On the lookout for something with 7 seats myself, thinking about Hyuandai Sante Fe or Kia Sorrento.

Had thought about the Discovery Sport but Ive heard too many horror stories about Land Rovers so Ill give them a miss.

I had a BMW X5 with 7 seats. Looked great and had fantastic spec. Only down side was the poor MPG.

johnnycool

Quote from: GJL on March 07, 2018, 10:52:02 AM
Quote from: awideisneverasgood on March 07, 2018, 10:10:07 AM

I had a BMW X5 with 7 seats. Looked great and had fantastic spec. Only down side was the poor MPG.

The road tax on a X5 must be a good bit north of £500 per year now!

They've also got a bad reputation for tyre wear, have you noticed that.

Was looking at bringing a high spec VW Touareg over from England a few years back but my local mechanic put me off as he said even changing the filter was a nightmare.

The Iceman

the whole benefit of an automatic car is for town driving! That's mad that your Mrs thought the auto was great on the motor ways which is where it doesn't really add any benefit..... anyways
The mini van / people carrier is the way to go with a big family. All the seats and a big boot. There's not an SUV on the market that can come close in boot space.  They don't look the best but you can get over that with the comfort and practicality of the car.  Prams, bags, sports stuff...all fit in there.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Hound

Jeez, driving in traffic is what really makes an auto stand out for me. If you are stuck in traffic for 30 mins, driving 50 metres every minute type of thing, then the auto is way less tiring and stressful. But each to their own!

Dinny, I wouldnt believe the stories about the Jeep Cherokee. I really like the look of it (esp the Grand), and I'd imagine the bad stories are from years ago.

Likewise, someone else mentioned Landrover's being bad. I've a mate who loves his Discovery Sport, can't speak more highly about it. There's so many of them about I can't believe they are a bad car.   

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Hound on March 07, 2018, 01:29:43 PM

Jeez, driving in traffic is what really makes an auto stand out for me. If you are stuck in traffic for 30 mins, driving 50 metres every minute type of thing, then the auto is way less tiring and stressful. But each to their own!

Dinny, I wouldnt believe the stories about the Jeep Cherokee. I really like the look of it (esp the Grand), and I'd imagine the bad stories are from years ago.

Likewise, someone else mentioned Landrover's being bad. I've a mate who loves his Discovery Sport, can't speak more highly about it. There's so many of them about I can't believe they are a bad car.

I do like the look of it too but genuinely haven't a clue but will see what the research says. Will it take one for a test drive.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

I would say the complete opposite. Town driving is perfect for automatics. Cruising on a motorway is ideal for a manual.