The Fine Gael thread

Started by Maguire01, October 16, 2012, 08:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxcommander

Quote from: Syferus on February 06, 2016, 01:27:28 AM
Quote from: weareros on February 05, 2016, 07:07:50 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on February 05, 2016, 06:45:09 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on February 05, 2016, 06:27:22 PM
Gerry was doing some awful spluttering when he was trying to explain how FG were wrong ::)
Would be some craic if him and Kenny were debating Financial matters ;D

Enda doesn't do debates anymore does he?

Calls the shortest election campaign to minimise the amount of time his government can be questioned by the electorate.
Why is that?

Could it be that the election by law has to be held within 18th to 25 days of the Dail being dissolved? Given that it was dissolved on Feb 3rd, I make that 23 days. And realistically it was the only option to give students a fair chance to vote on a Friday.

An election campaign is only allowed to be three weeks long by law - just more nonsense from Foxcommander. Quick to insult, not so quick to know basic facts about the political system.

Technically, the shortest campaign in the history of the State gets underway tomorrow.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/for-those-relishing-the-election-campaign-we-say-enjoy-1.2520578

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Maguire01

Quote from: foxcommander on February 06, 2016, 02:01:39 AM
Gerry was doing some awful spluttering when he was trying to explain how FG were wrong ::)

Calls the shortest election campaign to minimise the amount of time his government can be questioned by the electorate.
Why is that?

Could it be that the election by law has to be held within 18th to 25 days of the Dail being dissolved? Given that it was dissolved on Feb 3rd, I make that 23 days. And realistically it was the only option to give students a fair chance to vote on a Friday.

An election campaign is only allowed to be three weeks long by law - just more nonsense from Foxcommander. Quick to insult, not so quick to know basic facts about the political system.

Technically, the shortest campaign in the history of the State gets underway tomorrow.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/for-those-relishing-the-election-campaign-we-say-enjoy-1.2520578
And the line that follows directly after?

Realistically, it has been underway for quite some time.

foxcommander

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 06, 2016, 09:39:32 AM

Why is that?

But you're still wrong Maguire. How foolish of you to chime in on an already beaten argument. Speaks volumes of how petty you are.

No where is syferus with that apology?

Maguire01

Quote from: foxcommander on February 06, 2016, 04:08:57 PM

Why is that?

But you're still wrong Maguire. How foolish of you to chime in on an already beaten argument. Speaks volumes of how petty you are.

How am I wrong? I'm quoting from your link.

foxcommander

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 06, 2016, 04:31:44 PM

Why is that?

Ok - so tell me how it's not the shortest campaign in state history seeing as Enda called it on Wednesday 3rd and the election is on fri 26th. 21 days of campaigning.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/election-2016--what-you-need-to-know-718808.html

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: foxcommander on February 07, 2016, 02:21:37 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on February 06, 2016, 04:31:44 PM

Why is that?

Ok - so tell me how it's not the shortest campaign in state history seeing as Enda called it on Wednesday 3rd and the election is on fri 26th. 21 days of campaigning.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/election-2016--what-you-need-to-know-718808.html

How is it 21 days - do you need to stop campaigning a couple of days before the election?
Hasta la victoria siempre

Maguire01

It is the shortest, from official announcement to election day, yes. That is not in dispute. The point is that all parties have been in election mode for months. That's why the Irish Times made the distinction between technically and realistically.

foxcommander

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 07, 2016, 07:46:21 AM
It is the shortest, from official announcement to election day, yes. That is not in dispute. The point is that all parties have been in election mode for months. That's why the Irish Times made the distinction between technically and realistically.

Great -  so you agree that I'm right.

The problem with your assessment is that Fine Gael were still in government until Inda went to see the Hobbit so none of the other parties could officially launch their campaigns, put up posters, organize meetings etc.

Candidates press flesh from the time the last election results were announced to get themselves elected, there's nothing new in that (although some you don't even hear about from one election to the other).

Here's a little diagram to show your thought process Maguire :)

ashman

Fox

The "hobbit" to which is refer is the elected head or this state .  Your use of that term show you as an obnoxious buffoon.

Maguire01

Quote from: foxcommander on February 07, 2016, 06:54:21 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on February 07, 2016, 07:46:21 AM

Great -  so you agree that I'm right.
I never said you weren't. You missed my point.

The problem with your assessment is that Fine Gael were still in government until Inda went to see the Hobbit so none of the other parties could officially launch their campaigns, put up posters, organize meetings etc.
3 weeks is more than enough time. You want posters up for several months? Months of TV debates?
And there has been nothing stopping candidates or political parties having meetings, and the reality (yes, that word again) is that the key election issues have been debated endlessly over the past weeks, months and even years. If you need a longer campaign to make your mind up, then you must not have been tuned in.

Here's a little diagram to show your thought process Maguire :)

Yes, but you're the one who needs that diagram. As per the Irish Times article you (selectively) quoted:
Technically, the shortest campaign in the history of the State gets underway tomorrow. Realistically, it has been underway for quite some time.

Therefore, i've been the one consistently on the side of reality.

foxcommander

Fine Gael want the shortest time possible so that Inda can avoid being quizzed or subjected to an unscripted debate.

He's not obliged to answer questions outside of the official campaign (watch his dail answers for evidence) and will treat the electorate with the usual disdain if they do so on the streets. That's why the official campaign window is so important.
He's begging for your votes and avoidance (remember Vincent Browne non debate last election) is seen as a negative at the polling booth. Last time around it wasn't so important but this time around they're in a battle for seats.

Maguire01

Quote from: foxcommander on February 08, 2016, 06:41:23 PM
Fine Gael want the shortest time possible so that Inda can avoid being quizzed or subjected to an unscripted debate.

He's not obliged to answer questions outside of the official campaign (watch his dail answers for evidence) and will treat the electorate with the usual disdain if they do so on the streets. That's why the official campaign window is so important.
He's not obliged to answer questions during the official campaign either. FG can send whoever they want out to interview. The electorate may well look unfavourably on him if he does this, but he can avoid the debates if he wishes.

He's begging for your votes and avoidance (remember Vincent Browne non debate last election) is seen as a negative at the polling booth. Last time around it wasn't so important but this time around they're in a battle for seats.
You've proven my point.

foxcommander

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 08, 2016, 06:51:35 PM

He's not obliged to answer questions during the official campaign either. FG can send whoever they want out to interview. The electorate may well look unfavourably on him if he does this, but he can avoid the debates if he wishes.

You've proven my point.

You've just made up a point to yourself.

Normally party leaders will debate the issues. Inda won't. He gets his minions to do this for him as he's incapable.
He refuses to debate as he'll be shown up and his party will be shown up.

I hope the electorate will realise that he believes him and his party are not accountable to them.

weareros

Why is that?

Be careful of everything you read in the Irish Times because Wikepedia actually has a record of dissolution of the Dail and election date.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_general_election_timetable

Looks like even in recent times, there were shorter campaigns:

1992 - 20 days
1997 - 22 days
2002 - 23 days
Even 2011 only had 1 day more, 24 days.

Will have to remember to fact check you bucks anymore.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: weareros on February 08, 2016, 07:29:30 PM

Why is that?

Be careful of everything you read in the Irish Times because Wikepedia actually has a record of dissolution of the Dail and election date.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_general_election_timetable

Looks like even in recent times, there were shorter campaigns:

1992 - 20 days
1997 - 22 days
2002 - 23 days
Even 2011 only had 1 day more, 24 days.

Will have to remember to fact check you bucks anymore.
Also from that link:
1982 I - 22 days
1982 II - 20 days
1989 - 21 days
1965 - 20 days
1961 - 19 days, etc...