The Fine Gael thread

Started by Maguire01, October 16, 2012, 08:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikehunt

Quote from: ashman on January 28, 2016, 10:49:08 PM
Mike

Unfortunately that is the way the world works. If you owe the bank a few thousand you are fcukwis if you owe them millions the bank is fcuked.

Banks restructure corporate loans based on ability to pay .  Bottom line is that the Siteserv boys held out for a deal.  In these cases I bet the colleteral wasn't great. 

Again I don't like this much either and ideally I "d rather not pay fees for water but these are statutory charges voted by the national parliament .

No that's not the way Capitalism works, it's the way it works in Ireland. The company was insolvent. Owners were given 5m of tax payers money to sell to a certain party. This company was then given state contracts. Now if "ability to pay" is taken into account, would they not ask how can you purchase a company if you are not able to finance your current debt? If I wasn't paying my mortgage and went in for a second one what do you think the bank would say to me?  Now if you think this is all above board I would advise you to read the Moriarty Report, see which party was in power, see who was awarded a t valuable state contract and read the judge's findings and conclusions. Similarities between it and Siteserve are uncanny. I heard the Irish electorate being described as cap doffing subservient yokels and it's hard to disagree with this description.

Mayo4Sam

New CSO figures yesterday, unemployment at 8.6%, down from 10.1% this time last year and well below the European average of 10.9%.
Net migration expected before the end of 2016 which is some going when you consider the baseline of people who go travelling for a couple of years in their mid-20s
Good to see and hardly surprising that a day later they're announcing the election
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

AZOffaly

Quote from: macdanger2 on January 28, 2016, 11:28:15 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on January 28, 2016, 11:21:25 PM
Of course he is but the good people of Tipp have the right to vote for whom so ever they wish and can't be forced to only vote for peoplewe approve of.
That's democracy.

That's self-interest on the part of the electorate

Yes it is. But in fairness, would you trust a national government of any hue at this stage? It's only natural that people hang with the lad that they think will help them.

I'll not vote Lowry, in fact I'll hold the pencil 8 inches above the page in case I accidentally scratch any sort of symbol in his box. But I can see why Parish Pump politics are popular when the sense is that the government is made up of paris pump politics anyway. Might as well have 'one of our own'.

Alan Kelly is trying this too, but he is deeply unpopular in his image. I'm almost leaning towards him losing his seat in Tipp. (there is no more North Tipp constituency).

Declan

QuoteAlan Kelly is trying this too, but he is deeply unpopular in his image. I'm almost leaning towards him losing his seat in Tipp. (there is no more North Tipp constituency).

If that happens where will he go to get his power fix I wonder?

AZOffaly

Don't know. Maybe back on the council, and he can take photos with fixed footpaths. 2 days after the announcement about First Data in Nenagh, a leaflet was dropped in our door with his picture and a big dopey head on him with the First Data logo in his hands. Standing in a Field in Nenagh. Ditto for the Silvermines. Funnily enough no picture with the people in Borrisoleigh who lost their job at the same time in the C&C bottling plant.

mikehunt

Fine Gael finally prove beyond a reasonable doubt that any perceived economic recovery is not down to them. After RTE confirmed that FG's sums were way off, how could we possibly expect them to run an economy if they can't count. Shocking incompetency again. I couldn't believe there was absolutely nothing on the papers about it this morning. To listen to Kenny spluttering aboslute rubbish on Radio 1 this morning. The interviewer actually felt sorry for him and didn't crucify him. Embarrassing stuff from FG. Having SF correct you on your maths must be the biggest kick in the nuts possible.

armaghniac

Quote from: mikehunt on February 05, 2016, 01:18:51 PM
Fine Gael finally prove beyond a reasonable doubt that any perceived economic recovery is not down to them. After RTE confirmed that FG's sums were way off, how could we possibly expect them to run an economy if they can't count. Shocking incompetency again. I couldn't believe there was absolutely nothing on the papers about it this morning. To listen to Kenny spluttering aboslute rubbish on Radio 1 this morning. The interviewer actually felt sorry for him and didn't crucify him. Embarrassing stuff from FG. Having SF correct you on your maths must be the biggest kick in the nuts possible.

I'm sure FG can count, they were just trying out the usual political bullshit and have been called out on it, which is a good thing. They were called out partly because of the Fiscal council which they had set up, they made the rule change but keep on fouling!

If the tone of the campaigns is exposing double counting bullshit, then so much the better.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

mikehunt

Quote from: armaghniac on February 05, 2016, 01:42:18 PM
Quote from: mikehunt on February 05, 2016, 01:18:51 PM

I'm sure FG can count, they were just trying out the usual political bullshit and have been called out on it, which is a good thing. They were called out partly because of the Fiscal council which they had set up, they made the rule change but keep on fouling!

If the tone of the campaigns is exposing double counting bullshit, then so much the better.

I wouldn't be as confident as you that they can count. Think I heard Enda mention cutting taxes so more nurses and doctors can be hired. I will have to listen to it again but it was on Morning Ireland. Whoever was interviewing really went easy on him, u could nearly hear it in his voice when asking Kenny questions, twas like a teacher questioning a child who had just got caught stealing.

armaghniac

Quote from: mikehunt on February 05, 2016, 04:47:10 PM
I wouldn't be as confident as you that they can count.

I don't think politicans are stupid, I think they are duplicitious.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Gerry was doing some awful spluttering when he was trying to explain how FG were wrong ::)
Would be some craic if him and Kenny were debating Financial matters ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

foxcommander

Quote from: Rossfan on February 05, 2016, 06:27:22 PM
Gerry was doing some awful spluttering when he was trying to explain how FG were wrong ::)

Enda doesn't do debates anymore does he?

Calls the shortest election campaign to minimise the amount of time his government can be questioned by the electorate.
Why is that?

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

weareros

Quote from: foxcommander on February 05, 2016, 06:45:09 PM

Calls the shortest election campaign to minimise the amount of time his government can be questioned by the electorate.
Why is that?

Could it be that the election by law has to be held within 18th to 25 days of the Dail being dissolved? Given that it was dissolved on Feb 3rd, I make that 23 days. And realistically it was the only option to give students a fair chance to vote on a Friday.

seafoid

FG are hammering the competence meme but have fairly poor poll numbers
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Syferus

Quote from: weareros on February 05, 2016, 07:07:50 PM

Why is that?

Could it be that the election by law has to be held within 18th to 25 days of the Dail being dissolved? Given that it was dissolved on Feb 3rd, I make that 23 days. And realistically it was the only option to give students a fair chance to vote on a Friday.

An election campaign is only allowed to be three weeks long by law - just more nonsense from Foxcommander. Quick to insult, not so quick to know basic facts about the political system.

ashman

Why is that?

Ffs 3 weeks is more than enough to be listening to all and sundry.